• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brown Side Stand Installation

eosnut

Hello all,

I just received a Brown Side Stand today and it came with no installation instructions. I think I might be missing a few brain cells 'cause everything I've read about them says they're easy to install. I don't see the obvious mounting point(s) on my bike though. I have a 1975 R75/6. Anyone got pictures of how theirs is mounted, or a hint for me on where to put it (be nice :doh ).

Thanks
Rod

Undo the nut holding you exhaust hanger by your shifter, slide the hanger forward a few inches. Put the middle hole over the stud that you just removed the hanger from, install the nut loosely. Use the bolt and "shouldered" nut to attach the hanger to the front hole. Then tighten up every thing. Your stand should work properly.:thumb

ez

I had the same head-scratcher for awhile. But you use the rear motor mount, located under the shifter, and one of the muffler hangers. you may have to move the muffler hanger an inch or two. You can adjust the number of threads holding the sidestand to the motor mount by loosening the nut on the opposite side and tapping w a rubber mallet or the like.

If you still have probs I can tak a pic tomorrow and post it tomorrow evening.
good luck. But i bet you'll have a V-8 moment when you look again.

Undo the nut holding you exhaust hanger by your shifter, slide the hanger forward a few inches. Put the middle hole over the stud that you just removed the hanger from, install the nut loosely. Use the bolt and "shouldered" nut to attach the hanger to the front hole. Then tighten up every thing. Your stand should work properly.:thumb

Doug has it spot-on. You MAY need to loosen the nut on the OTHER side footpeg to give you more threads for the sidestand (that threaded piece you're attaching to runs to the other side of the bike and holds the engine in place). Even doing that, I still had JUUUST enough threads to get everything attached.

One plus of the brown aside from it being pretty sturdy: It's a great warning device if you're leaning pretty far left; if you hear it scraping, your valve cover is painfully close to doing the same thing. DAMHIK. :D

Verify for me please.

Is it the nut/bolt that's holding the exhaust AND the left foot peg? If so, that's what I thought, but it just seemed like too much stuff attached in one place.

Here's a close up of one installed:

attachment.php

I didn't use the exhaust clamp/bolt...

I used a P-clamp on the frame, which also required a bushing and a different bolt. This way, connectivity of the stand is on the frame all the way, and the exhaust is out of play.

I felt like you, eosnut, but I was lucky in that my "S" already had a Brown on it when I bought it. So, I installed the one for my "RS" in a similar fashion. Check out the mod in the picture, see how a part of the stand was ground away to allow the shifter work correctly?

Sorry, no pics tonight, maybe in a couple of days.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your quick replies and for the pic rdalland. I think I got it now.

Rod

Back