• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
Bought a '94 R100RT awhile ago, and it had the OEM side stand on it. I had a spare "Brown" style side stand on the shelf in the shop, don't remember where I got it. Installed the "Brown" and the RT sits much differently than the '83 R100RS that I ride with a _real_ Brown side stand (I bought one direct from Brown back when they were in business). Also on the RT, the "Brown" doesn't come up close to the muffler like the real Brown does, and it interferes with deploying the center stand. You'll notice that the spring on the "Brown" is much shorter than the spring on the real Brown.

I could get a grinder and remove material at the back of the pivot pin so that the "Brown" would come up tighter to the muffler, and weld up the front so that it would not lean at such an extreme angle, but I don't know if it's worth that much work.

Does anyone recognize this "Brown" type of side stand, or know who sells/sold them? Maybe it's not meant for an R100?

Blue 1.jpgBlue 2.jpgBlue 3.jpgRed 3.jpgRed 1.jpg

Last edited:
On my R100 RS I put on a Browns stand and you have to put it down to get at the centre stand.

I just bought a Farley side stand for my 93 RT at BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids and is shown on their web store. The Farley is made in West Mi. The mono lever mounts and is made different than the twin shock. The clamp fastens to the frame instead of exhaust pipe and comes with a longer stud. I am still in the process of installing and do not know lean angle, or how the center stand will work in conjunction. I have a Farley on my /5 and it works very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    794.5 KB · Views: 17
Some years back I purchased one of the "Brown-like" side stands for use on my 77 R100RS. The Brown-like side stand uses the clamp securing the header to the muffler as part of its support. I have custom made stainless steel headers and mufflers and the Brown-like side stand caused more flexing of the header / muffler than I liked. I removed the Brown-like side stand and it resides in a box, somewhere.

Back