• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camhead oil leak

ltdan

Our 2011 1200RT was leaking oil on the left side. I'm pretty sure it is the bolt to access the cam chain tensioner had loosened up, it's located right behind the throttle body. A week later the same thing happened on our 2012 1200GS. Both bikes I just took off the throttle body and tighten the bolt and all seems good now.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known problem?
Dan

zero leaks on my 2013 RT with 69080 miles as of this morning!

and she stopped using any oil about 50000 miles ago...:thumb

Actually rather common on the camhead R1200 engines. I suspect the automated torque driver was out of adjustment for a bit. When mine did this I used a torque wrench to tighten it - and it took a reasonable amount of force to reach the correct torque value. It hasn't leaked since. Be happy if it hasn't happened to your camhead - but don't be surprised if it does.

I had the same issue on my 2011 R1200GS. I tightened it up like you did and I have had no further problems.

Dave McDougall

Thanks for the replies, good to know. Both our bikes had between 20 and 30K miles when this happened. Maybe Fritz's torque wrench was out of adjustment on this run!

Oil was seeping at 1700 miles from the right tensioner when bike was purchased used. Turned into a drip soon after.
Per the repair manual, tourqued to 45 Nm and has been dry since.
I find it odd that the left tensioner has a sealing ring, but the right side does not. :scratch

R1200S Oil Leak

Oil was seeping at 1700 miles from the right tensioner when bike was purchased used. Turned into a drip soon after.
Per the repair manual, tourqued to 45 Nm and has been dry since.
I find it odd that the left tensioner has a sealing ring, but the right side does not. :scratch

Been noticing an oil leak on my 07 R1200S. It currently has about 8K miles and want to check the tensioners per these posts.
Anyone have pictures of the bolt locations? Many thanks in advance...

Back