• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 oil leak help needed

Hi all . I have a 1975 R90 I am getting back on the road. The problem is I have an oil leak I can't fix. The leak is from a threaded plug in the block on the left side below the oil pressure switch and behind the frame tube. The plug has a regular screw driver slot in it. I have had it out twice and used loctite thread sealant and then flange sealant. Neither has worked. Would any of you try Teflon tape?
I am also wondering if this plug needs a specific torque or whether it should be put in with loctite blue. I do not want to remove the engine to get better access unless all else fails.

I welcome your ideas.
Thanks,
John

This is probably a sealed hole in the case that was needed for manufacture. Snowbum seems to indicate that it is at the end of a high pressure galley. Search for the word "galley" on this page...it's about half way down:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilingsystem.htm

I would continue to try and seal it. I'd be careful to torque it too much...more problems if you trip that. I might try Hylomar on the threads to see if that helps with sealing. Can you tell if the plug threads are bunged up some? Could a new plug be better to ensure a good seal?

Thanks Kurt I will look at Snowbums article. The threads are in good shape. Over torguing should not be a problem because it is difficult to access with the engine in the bike.
An old friend of mine who is a car buy gold me in the old days they wrapped string in the threads to stop this kind of leak. I am not that desperate ........ yet.
John

Red

I don't have my collection of locktite at hand but isn't the red the permanent one? I would be worried about anything like teflon tape or string breaking down in the future and leaking again. Personally, I would try the red locktite. Check on line with various hot rod or car engine sites and perhaps a mention of some kind of sealer/locktite will pop up that is used in a case like this? There are more guys building race car engines and such than us guys building airhead engines, LOL.

As I have never had one of these plugs out, I am curious as to if there is a "bottom" to the threads in the block or is it more like a straight through threaded hole? Good luck and if you do solve the problem let us know what you used. St.

Purchase a small can of Hercules Blue Block part # 15707. You can use it for many applications, temp range -90 to 450 Fahrenheit, hydraulic pressure up to 12,000 psi and gas pressure up to 2,600 psi. Semi-soft set so will remain pliable, leak-proof resistance to high-pressure, temperature, expansion, contraction and extreme vibration. It's a cream thread sealant no fibers. Gasoila may work hard to find in my area and there's several variations.

Ticket

Dave, that sounds like the ticket, LOL, I forget what the product was I used in facilities when repairing hydraulic pumps with lots of pressure or boilers. This stuff may have been it. Thanks for sharing. St.

Thank you everyone. I found a thread on this exact issue on the ADV Rider forum. I am going to follow the advice there. I will let you know how it works out. From my research I may not have cleaned the threads in the block well enough.
Thanks again to all who replied.
John

Hi everyone. I have sealed the leak successfully. I tilted the bike on its side. Then I managed to unscrew the plug without removing anything. Many articles I read suggested a frame mount would need to come out so the engine could be raised in the frame. I cleaned everything thoroughly then cleaned again using Slap Shot degreaser on Q-tips. Allowed all that to dry then applied Permatex primer to threads and plug. This stuff is supposed to aid curing in aluminium and increase the bond strength. Finally I applied Permatex thread sealer to the plug and the threads in the block. Reinstalled the plug until flush with the engine case and left it to cure. The instructions say curing may take up to 72 hours. As it happens I left it a week. Started it up and no leak. Believe me it was a gusher before so it is not hard to tell. I have used the bike several times since and all is good.
Thanks to everyone for your input.
John

Cool!

Thanks for letting us all know how you made out and even more importantly what you used and how you used it. Enjoy the riding! St.

Back