• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Function of charcoal canister connections...not the usual question

The_Veg

D'OH!
...And before you suggest removing the canister from the bike, I've already done so...and that's where the question comes in.

Years ago I removed the canister from my '07 R1200GS, tossed it in a box, and forgot about it. I don't even have that bike anymore (moved on to a '12 that was already de-canisterised), but I still have its canister and now I have a use for it.

Not long ago I purchased an old British sports car that has a tank-venting setup that basically just vents to the air through a large hose, causing evaporative losses of fuel and nasty fuel-smell in and around the car. My thought is to re-purpose the old GS canister in this car, and it looks like it should work except for one thing: there's a third connection on the canister and I don't know what it does. It's on the opposite end to the other two connections, and it's a larger diameter than the other two. I can't for the life of me remember what it was connected to on the bike. Does this third connection need to be connected to something for the canister to function properly? If so, is it anything special that would preclude using this canister and therefore require me to buy another type instead?

One hose from the tank vent. One hose to the solenoid (then to the throttle bodies). One hose to the atmosphere down by the foot peg.

The canister on my '05 is in/behind the front right tupperware, and is smaller....so wondering if the same plumbing schematic holds true, or if things changed with the new model year??

The canister on my '05 is in/behind the front right tupperware, and is smaller....so wondering if the same plumbing schematic holds true, or if things changed with the new model year??

I guess you could look and see.:dunno

Back