• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT Side Trunks

NATHANMONK

trumpetman
It is hard to understand why BMW doesn't do a better job engineering their side trunks on this model. My side trunks got scratched up as a result of the retractable lid cord mechanism coming out resulting in the side falling all the way to the ground. Though BMW did cover for the repainting of the left trunk lid, $400. by itself, they claimed the right lid wouldn't hit the ground. Well, it does under the right circumstance. Anyway, my point is that they would be better off doing a top open side trunk system. Or, a stronger restraining system than what is on there.

Anyway, I am looking for a self-installing clear protective skin for my trunks. I know BMW sells one, but it is pricey and still is supposed to be dealer installed. My service guy at the dealership suggested I find a place that does decals etc. on autos, etc., to see if I could find someone who could do this job. So far, no luck!
Any suggestions?:dance

I agree. The paint looks good until the fist time you drop the lid to the ground, drag your boot over it, or kick up a stone.

BMW thinks very highly of it's case protection items, $$$$$ for spotty protection.

I'm looking at a few homebrew options right now, truck bed liner, plastic film, spray-on mask, or ??? I currently have faux carbon fiber film on the top, that I cut out and fit, covers about 90%, and looks good, but I think I can do better.

Happened to a buddy of mine - same scenario as you. Dumb engineering.
Many of the little annoyances that could be improved on a typical BMW are the result of their obsession with 'weight reduction' to improve mileage numbers.

Screw mileage - I'd rather have a hardier bike. BMW could incorporate a style of hinge on the saddlebags that retards how far they can drop down, in the event of a lanyard failure (or even use hydraulic struts like my Gold Wing!). But then again - a hinge like that might add 1.5 ounces or so to the bike, so that got vetoed early on in some lofty engineering meeting, I'm sure. :banghead

There are a few paint 'protectants' out there. At the IMS show a year or so ago , one was even giving free samples.

There is also the newer "wraps" colored & carbon fiber look, etc . It's out there, do a little shopping you'll find it.

I have a few blimishes in mine. Polish is good to minimize the small road dings. I did get a scratch in the left side due to the same reason mentioned in the OP. I use a little buffing agent and polish to minimize it. When the side cases get bad enough I take them to a local body shop I use. The tech takes the colour match from the VIN and repaints the shells perfectly for about $100 each. I just take the 4 screws out and take the shell over when he's ready, usually gets it done in a day.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I like the color-matched painted bags, and thought about doing mine. But the way I kick'em ?...seems like a waste for me.

Ah...to be young & flexible again......:dance

Sorry, but this is operator error and not poor engineering.

This is like blaming your pants when you get too fat to fit in them any more.

More iron is only an engineering solution over at HD.

I suppose pants can be engineered to have elastic materiel in the waste accomadating new found gerth. If one had to make a purchasing decision betwix the pants that had the ability to expand and those that don't I would assume that the potential customer would choose the engineering design that would accomadate his expected waist size associated with an environmental condition causing the need for said accommodation.

If someone bought the fixed waist size pants than out grew them due to weight gain than saw a coworker with a flexible elastic waist band for the very first time, said midriff expanding pants wearer may consider the lack of accommodation of new found belly as an engineering design flaw in his brand of cotton.

Kent, Has BMW ever been guilty of poor engineering in your opinion?

I'm not snipping your quotes to be critical, hateful, or passive aggressive, I simply find your statement fascinating. In my case and in the OP's case the cosmetic damage occurred when the lanyard mechanism popped out of the attaching structure on the lid. Operationally speaking, we deployed the side stand correctly, we pushed the opening press button correctly, we lifted the locking lever correctly deploying the lid to the open position. In my case I had a Kathys custom case bag with a couple of Gatorade bottles in the case on the ouside portion of the elastic X retraining straps, adding weight to the lid, causing it to extend fully open before I could catch it... No big deal, the retention strap will stop it, but no, in this case it suddenly unlatched (it's only happend once) in mid-deployment allowing the outside of the lid to make contact with the payment... Ouch! Not cool.

I simply attached the retention strap, buffed out the scratches as best I could and moved out smartly, it's what you do. I don't consider it "poor engineering" though, simply design choices made by the engineer. All engineering by nature is a trade off.

Seriously, Kent?

I realize you and I don't often agree on issues, but that analysis is hardly fair to H-D, nor objective when it comes to BMW.

No 'perfect' motorcycle out there, and if we don't expose weaknesses, the product never improves.

Create a robust hinge that doesn't let the side case flop to the ground and don't freak out if it adds 6 more ounces - done. :thumb

Trunk protection

I have a few blimishes in mine. Polish is good to minimize the small road dings. I did get a scratch in the left side due to the same reason mentioned in the OP. I use a little buffing agent and polish to minimize it. When the side cases get bad enough I take them to a local body shop I use. The tech takes the colour match from the VIN and repaints the shells perfectly for about $100 each. I just take the 4 screws out and take the shell over when he's ready, usually gets it done in a day.

View attachment 52443

Fortunately BMW pretty much paid for my repair. The cost was $800., like WOW!, glad I only had to pay $100. Anyway,m I am going to do some shopping for protection.:scratch

Trunk protection

Ouch! You are probably right about operator error. But, I still think the weak flexible retractable cord is not very strong. :scratch

I have to agree that the design could be better. There's a reason that the RTP has top-opening cases, right? It seems that several other manufacturers use top-opening cases, not to mention the GS from BMW. Having cases that open from the top would be one of the few things I'd change on my RT.

I have to agree that the design could be better. There's a reason that the RTP has top-opening cases, right? It seems that several other manufacturers use top-opening cases, not to mention the GS from BMW. Having cases that open from the top would be one of the few things I'd change on my RT.

Hope this isn't a hijack.......

I have system cases on my Roadster. I saw a side opening case recently that has a fabric piece inside at each end, attached to the inner portion & the lid. This piece acts as the 'lid-stop' ? tether ? and creates sort of a "top-side-loading" situation...the lid won't flop down , even if you're not being careful, and as such won't break the hinge & or let all the contents spill out....pretty clever . Something I am going to attempt to create for my system bags. I feel that would make them less of a pain to use, and of course be a more stable holder [of] the lid.

Hope this isn't a hijack.......

I have system cases on my Roadster. I saw a side opening case recently that has a fabric piece inside at each end, attached to the inner portion & the lid. This piece acts as the 'lid-stop' ? tether ? and creates sort of a "top-side-loading" situation...the lid won't flop down , even if you're not being careful, and as such won't break the hinge & or let all the contents spill out....pretty clever . Something I am going to attempt to create for my system bags. I feel that would make them less of a pain to use, and of course be a more stable holder [of] the lid.

Sounds like a creative modification to solve a ridiculous problem that BMW ignores. Once you get that to work, post pics for others who may wish to eliminate the damage from an unexpected lanyard detachment.

FYI, don't try to get hired by BMW - that alteration adds .7 ounces to bike weight. :dance

You can imagine the original design was overengineered with hydraulic props, keyless entry and a motor to open/close. Then the accountants and risk management group talked to the project manager and you get what they compromised on. :laugh Another 70/30 acceptance level which seems to be the norm.

Top loaders are nice, we have them on /6 and both GS's...however, operator error , not bad design can also cause a lid to catch air and bend or disembark the case...not totally goofproof. A similar perceived bad design discussion is inevitable if this was the standard.

I guess both of us have been lucky thru the years on 11XX and 1200 styles. Standing on the side facing the cases, a knee is usually close enough to case to stop before it freefalls. That and putting lightest items in outer shell has been pretty successful for us. Not saying the two different style lanyards have never come off their holding bracket, just know it's possible and open accordingly. Especially true of a leaning bike and left side case. Gravity is a bear.:hungover

Still curious on why and how did BMW pay for the repair/repaint :scratch Dealer goodwill maybe?

Back