• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spline lube, easy improved transmission support method for single shock bikes

r80andr100rt

I don't know if this will help with dual shock bikes but for single shock bikes it's fast and easy. I bought two M8x1.25x60 hex cap screws from Lowes. One 48" by 1" nylon web strap with plastic friction buckle from outfitters. Sling the transmission as shown in the picture. Make sure you go to the back side of the gas tank support brackets and front side of the side cover support . This will stop the sling from sliding backwards. Tighten up the sling. . Replace top 13mm bolts with longer ones from Lowes. Leave about 3/4" not screwed in. Remove lower hex head bolts. Gently pull back on transmission. Tighten sling if necessary. As shown the sling is right at a balance point so there is little load on the Lowes bolts. Mostly they provide alignment and control. I could turn mine by hand. Clean splines lube and reassemble.

Last edited:
Nice. Now there's more to this, right? I notice that the battery seems to be pretty far back from the transmission. On my /7, there is only about 3/4" aft of the transmission/filter cover, so the battery has to come out. Also, what about the swingarm? Don't you have to remove the pins that hold the swingarm in place and the whole shooting match has to move backward with the transmission?

Right ,I didn't include all the work about the starter cover, swing arm pins and shock removal etc. Single shock bikes have clearance to the battery. I was only writing about the transmission support. Thanks.

just one little picky thing... m8 course thread is 1.25 so your hex bolt would be 8mx1.25x60

thanks to the useful tip!

Grahamm, Very astute observation, Looking at the plastic sack the bolts came in it does say M8-1.25x60.. You gave me a big anxiety attack for a moment as I thought I was deforming the threads in my engine block.

Back