• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch spline measurement

DAVIS2X1

I tried to measure the clutch hub spline movement but the transmission input shaft kept moving. I solved this by tying off the input shaft with a piece of solid electrical wire.

1. Fish a wire around the input shaft and locate it over the spline.

2. Install the lower starter motor bolt.

3. Tighten up the wire around the bold.

IMG_0697 (800x600).jpg

4. Add a piece of tape to the pressure plate.

IMG_0698 (800x600).jpg

5. With the clutch disengaged move the clutch plate back and forth and mark the tape. Remove tape and measure. My movement was 3/16 inch.

IMG_0700 (800x600).jpg

Hope this helps others.

Unfortunately, I had similar noise and freeplay:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...veals-damaged-splines&highlight=spline+damage

Probably time to get splitting.

cele0001 will have a clutch hub spacer which may buy you some added input shaft life for the next time around. He is currently out of stock, so depends on your timeline. Your 1150 will have less spline engagement that my 1100 so you will see a section of the clutch hub spline which hasn't been damaged.

Good idea.
I use whiteout and a metal scribe, then a digital caliper to measure.
The tape is a simple solution!

Back