• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do you refuel while on or off the bike?

One should never pass up the opportunity to fill the fuel tank or pee. If I need gas, I pee. If I need to pee, I buy gas. I also make myself drink something whether I am thirsty or not.

I have been riding a long time and have never spilled gas whether I'm sitting on the bike or not. Why would I be more inclined to spilling gas if I'm sitting on the bike? I usually just open the gas tank, light a smoke and start filling, or I use the lighter to see how much gas is in there. :brad

Since this is "maintenance," I put the bike on the centerstand to fill up.

When I'm done, I remount the tankbag, zero the odometer and clear the pump area to park in parking, at which time I put the bike on the sidestand because it's safer.

Off. I found that sticking to a routine at gas stops off the bike doesn't take much time and helps me stay on schedule without unplanned stops.

Off, In the police motorcycle world it is also recommended that you take you helmet off to improve situational awareness, even at the "motor pool" gas pumps. In the civilian world I dismount the LT fueling on the side stand, on the /2 sometimes sitting.

I guess I could refuel sitting on the bike IF I was very careful where I parked the bike so I was able to reach the hose and credit card reader....but like others, at my age, stopping for gas also means a potty break.

I made a post earlier this morning but then deleted it, I doubt anyone saw it; generally frustration about lack of safe attitudes that permeate a particular riding organization....but, I'm past it now. I refuled the bike today and had this thread in mind. Someone mentioned being penned between the pump and the bike (where I normally stand) that, and the video of the flash fire of the guy on the bike, really got me thinking. I thought about the very regimented and highly enforced standards regarding refule of army helicopters, and tried to apply some of those standards on the bike today.

Doing a "cross the bike" pump placement did not work well, as I expected, but I tried it anyway. (Back to the being pinned between the bike and the pump, so I'm going to have to re-look that one). Keeping the helmet and gloves on though is probably something I will adopt. A little inconvient, at least right glove has to come off then back on to manipulate credit card, wallet, tankbag, and fuel pump, but gloves on and visor down will provide huge flash fire protection of the face and hands. The video of the flash fire was very sobering. Years ago Rhonda and I were refueling at a shell station north of TROY, AL. I had the nozzle in the tank and the little auto lever that is normally spring loaded to the up position didn't have a spring and flopped down, locking the fuel on full blast. It overflowed gas everywhere all over the tank and down the side of the bike. No fire, I kept the nozzle in the tank until I could get my fingers under the lever and manually lift the lock up and off. How the bike didn't catch on fire I do not know, gas was everywhere. I never went to another shell station, ever! It's since been closed, but every time I go by that station, I would hiss at it.

The overflow scenario happened to me too a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I was looking somewhere else, not at the nozzle. Didn't notice until I had gasoline running under my feet. Like you, don't know how I didn't have a fire. Unlike you, I wasn't at a Shell station. Could happen anywhere. I will never, ever, gas up the bike again using the automatic shutoff.

The overflow scenario happened to me too a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I was looking somewhere else, not at the nozzle. Didn't notice until I had gasoline running under my feet. Like you, don't know how I didn't have a fire. Unlike you, I wasn't at a Shell station. Could happen anywhere. I will never, ever, gas up the bike again using the automatic shutoff.

Having been a gas jockey, back in the day, I have first hand experience of a gasoline shower. My favorite car was the mid-70's Ford Granada/Mercury Monarch with that lovely filler cap incorporated into the model logo above the rear bumper. As such, the gas nozzle pointed horizontal when re-fueling. Of course, you had multiple customers, so the nozzle was propped as best possible and you set the trigger lock to serve other customers. While, propped as best possible, wasn't always enough and the auto-shut isn't an acceleration sensitive device, so when the nozzle slips out.........you have gasoline everywhere. And, you have to pick-up that gas spewing snake. And, then, you're wet. Soaked in gasoline. But, it dries, rapidly and you have 6-hrs of shift remaining. Then, you start to itch. Then, you start to burn. Especially, in any sensitive area that gets wet. Then, you curse the remaining 5-hrs until the end of shift.

BTW - I've never owned a Ford product.

Last edited:
I believe the automatic shut-offs were banned in New York. We used to have them, but I haven't seen one in years.

Harry

I think it's the trigger "locks" that were banded in some states, not the auto shut-offs. I'm pretty sure the auto shut-offs are nearly universal

I always dismount. Because Annie's tank is on the right on all her bikes, I always park with the pumps to my right. I refuel with the bike on the side stand and I stand on the left side of the bike. Works for me.

what is the proper etiquette ?

:banghead

Between static electricity (note the warning on pumps to remove a gas can from you vehicle before filling it), fuel spilling on a hot engine, mechanical malfunctions of nozzles and loss of balance -

please get off the bike to re-fuel. If you're in that much of a hurry to not get off, you should probably by flying to your destination - not riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Back