• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Batter discharging 2013 GS 1200

terryg

2013 GS 1200
Has any experienced a problem that I'm having , my battery will discharge to point it will not start my bike in two days , my dealer replaced the battery on warranty in dec & it was to no avail same results ? Any ideas .?
The only things I have done are : I replaced the BMW GPS with a Garmin with Xm, I plugged into the wires provided , not direct to bat . I installed the wires direct to the battery for my Gerbings & I installed a Battery tender .
Originally the battery was going dead in 7-10 days early last summer .

firmware of XM module in GPS

I would make sure that the wires you plugged in for your XM GPS are not constant. Also, in a chevy of mine, I added XM to the factory harness no splicing, beautiful kit. My battery would go dead as well. I found out that the firmware (software) of the XM unit was allowing an open circuit with the key off and draining the battery. Just food for thought and a similar problem. if you XM portion is a constant 12v and the unit is off, it is possible for the unit to malfunction because of the firmware.

Thanks for the tip , I'm going to check that out .
I would make sure that the wires you plugged in for your XM GPS are not constant. Also, in a chevy of mine, I added XM to the factory harness no splicing, beautiful kit. My battery would go dead as well. I found out that the firmware (software) of the XM unit was allowing an open circuit with the key off and draining the battery. Just food for thought and a similar problem. if you XM portion is a constant 12v and the unit is off, it is possible for the unit to malfunction because of the firmware.

I never saw an official bulletin but my '14 GSA had a bad battery. They are swapping a batch of the Yuasa AGM batteries. If you suspect it is the replacement, call your dealer and have the sn ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gps

My GPS was running my battery down. It was "off", but the battery in the GPS was wanting more juice than it needed and kept draining my motorcycle battery. Unplugging the GPS was my "fix".

I suggest that you undo everything that you did and see if the problem goes away. If it does go away, it is clearly related to some aspect of what you did.

My 2015 GSA is having the same issue. I have the Garmin GPS in the BMW mount and is powered by the bike. I also have a PowerLet to USB cable plugged in to the socket by the gauges. But that's it. The battery is being completely drained within two days. The BMW dealer in Ft Worth swapped out batteries, I even tried a brand new Yuasa and had the same result. The dealership had the bike for over a week and couldn't figure it out. Shocking.

I'm guessing at this point that either the power socket to the right of the gauges isn't fully shutting off or the GPS is draining the battery. I'm going to do a little test by unplugging one for a few days when not driving it and see how it fairs and then do the other. Either way, both should be inert when the bike is off and BMW needs to address this power leech.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.
www.matthewfreed.com

Back