• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helen's 1000

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

First off, sorry for those still winterbound...:wave

And for those who do not care for this type of riding...don't feel the need to bark it down. I understand it's not for everyone...and that's OK.

Helen has had this ride on her bucket list for some time. It was her %0th birthday yesterday and she was headed out to officially do a saddlesore 1000. We have made some long runs in the range, but never a documented ride. We typically avoid Interstates unless it's absolutely necessary, so this was a bit different.

Any-way's...she asked me if I wanted to ride along a few days before, didn't want to take away from her planned adventure, but decided what the heck. I even wore the bright as all get out Hi-Viz jacket she bought me some time back.

P2180059.jpg

We headed out at 6AM, weather was to be 66-81 range and no fronts coming.

P2180062.jpg
Heading west from central TX on IH-10 near Sonora, we hit heavy fog until we passed Ozona. About 40 miles of this.

The speed limits out this way are 80MPH, so most are going 85+ish. The wind picked up and my GSA wind catcher mileage dropped to 33 according to the onboard. Helen's R12R was out front and at 181 miles of a 186 mile fuel run, she came in my ear with...wait for it..."I'm out of gas!". Had I not been with her, she would have topped off in Ft Stockton...I thought we could make it to the turnaround mark but did not factor the wind and H's throttle usage as I tried to keep her in sight:love

Luckily the GSA has a MSA 22oz fuel cylinder...we topped it and rode to the gas stop over the next hill. That was the end of the headwind and the long distances between towns as we turned NE onto IH-20 headed to Ft Worth.

P2190107.jpg

The ubiquitous WTX wind farms

The ride through Midland-Odessa is amazing with the new oil boom in full swing. For anybody needing employment, this seems to be the place. Miles and miles of oil related businesses with help wanted signs everywhere. Just not much housing. Saw some tiny cabins in a camp for $99 a night! For some reason I took no pictures...but it's impressive with all the equipment everywhere.

Our ride on the turn from Ft Worth was at sunset and on to IH-35. We dodged a kingsize mattress that had been hit a few times...it was a huge fuzz ball. That was the most exciting thing we encountered on this stretch...until we hit the shut down of IH-35 for overpass demo's...twice! The ratio of 18 wheelers to motorcycles was 200 to 1 and clutch control was practiced a lot for several miles at a stretch...I really DISLIKE IH-35...have for years and this about sealed my plans to avoid it anytime in the future!

We arrived back in Johnson City at 11:15... an hour and a half later due to IH-35's issues. At that last stop, the local very young LEO pulled in front of me at the pump and exited his vehicle. He informed me I could not have more than 4 lights visible up front. He saw me entering town when I had all the lights on...I had killed them before the city limit post. I chuckled and said OK...I had them on all day and had been in view of many other jurisdictions along our route...funny it happened 8 miles from home:whistle

Life's good and I am not riding today:laugh

Congrats to both of you :thumb:thumb
Wish we could get out and ride this time of year.

Very nice :clap Isn't there a Waffle House in Midland-Odessa :D
Kinda funny as for me, a 1K ride puts me in Georgia.
Gary

Very nice :clap Isn't there a Waffle House in Midland-Odessa :D
Kinda funny as for me, a 1K ride puts me in Georgia.
Gary

For me, a 1k ride west would put me in Texas having crossed three states to get to the starting point of their ride. The size of Texas is truly amazing.

Awesome job guys! Yeah, coming from the northeast, it's a shocker how big the states are out west, especially Texas. I've ridden through parts of Texas on a Ducati Sport 1000 and a Honda CBR1000RR on a different trip. It never ceases to amaze me how big the place is and it is one reason I got the R12R! Well nice work, you've inspired me!

BH

Please extend my congrats to Helen!

My first Sadlesore was the hardest IBA ride I've ever done, due to not knowing what to expect or how to prepare.
The second was a breeze!

Ken

I did my first in Alaska; no interstates to ride but did very little riding in the dark.

Every time those Texicans start getting uppity, Alaska threatens to split in half and make Texas the third largest state. :laugh

HUGE Congratulations!!

You really have redefined big birthdays, Helen.

Welcome to the insanity! :hug:groovy:groovy:groovy:groovy

Voni
sMiling

She says thanks for the thanks...Pretty happy with her ride...other than the interstate shut down!

Now she's talking about the Ride around Texas event ( a loop around the borders of TX in 85 hours) One of our IBA friends has been encouraging her and set her up on the solo planned route. He mentioned the RAT to her yesterday:whistle

she rode into work yesterday to make copies of the forms...I took a nap! she said that 50 miles seemed short after Wednesdays cruise.

Back