• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 R1200GS rear wheel flange

wcycle

Anyone ever have the flange that holds the rear wheel and rear rotor crack or split the bolt holes? Took off wheel last night, the bolts were tight but there is a crack in the bolt holes. The rear rotor bolts were loose, those holes are cracked also. How can I remove that flange to replace it? Thanks..

Uh, yeah.
About 100,000 riders.
Well, maybe fewer, but more than one.
I'm not sure it's just GSs. Nor what year.
There is a mega thread on advrider, with fixings, which is a bit complicated.
dc

Common issue. BMW is on flange version number 3 or 4. Removing the old flange isn't hard. Installing the new flange is apparently harder as it is now a steel piece plus a spacer. I discovered the issue on my '05 at 50K miles when I was replacing a worn rear brake rotor. See http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2009/1125-rear-brake/page2.html for pics and notes on flange replacement.

The old flange and brake rotor make for some nice garage wall art. :laugh

p-20101208-1309-2514-XL.jpg

Some have placed a clock where I put the old MOA patch.

Rear flange

Thanks for your help. Mine made it 127,400 miles. looks like a failure could be real real bad, I decided to have a friend/machinist make a puller, and order a new flange. I am really glad it didn't fail!!!!

Keep in mind..if the base for the puller is conical..and fits in the tube axle..SOME have reported it exerts enough force to swell the axle and not let the flange pop off..your puller base needs to be flat..and small enough to fit inside the flange..

Or, just heat it and pop off with a slide hammer..

Auto zone will loan you a puller and slide hammer.I made a cardboard template to take with me to make sure the bolt holes will line up.I think the one i used is made to pull cv joint shafts.Good luck Ed

07 R1200S ....just discovered all 5 points on the flange are cracked. Of course it's three days before I planned to leave on a long ride.
Thanks for the tip on Autozone lending a puller. I spent half an afternoon yesterday heating the flange with a torch and moved it at least a sixteenth of an inch. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

R1200 GS rear flange

Anyone ever have the flange that holds the rear wheel and rear rotor crack or split the bolt holes? Took off wheel last night, the bolts were tight but there is a crack in the bolt holes. The rear rotor bolts were loose, those holes are cracked also. How can I remove that flange to replace it? Thanks..
I finished the job!! Thanks for your help. I purchased a air saw from harbor freight for $10.00, and blades for $7.00. I cut down through the old flange till I got close to the spines, it pulled off real easy. I cleaned the splines real good with small wire brush. Heated the new flange to 220 deg, It slid right on!!! Installed clip, good as new!!

I finished the job!! Thanks for your help. I purchased a air saw from harbor freight for $10.00, and blades for $7.00. I cut down through the old flange till I got close to the spines, it pulled off real easy. I cleaned the splines real good with small wire brush. Heated the new flange to 220 deg, It slid right on!!! Installed clip, good as new!!

Was the new flange aluminum or steel? Apparently the latest are steel.. and a bit trickier to put on.

Back