• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Importing BMW Bikes to USA

It's because it's a bike. When I finalize where I will work...I will try the DMV of the state I decide to live and see what they...doing it the right way is not panning out at all.
Oh, bring a dozen donuts, pictures of you enjoying your bike, a box of 'JO...good to go :D
OM

I have tried everything to get BMW to issue me a letter of compliance for my 2013 F800GS. Importing from Canada to the USA. I am dual citizen and when I asked Fiat for a letter they sent me one after I gave them the citizenship documents they asked for etc. Fiat wanted to really know I was moving not just using my citizenship to sell their car.

My bike meets EPA and DOT standards...BMW admits that...but states they can't issue to the letter to the owner it has to be a registered importer. Every imported I spoke to says they can't get this letter but will help me when I get it. nightmare run around and I will be forced to sell a bike I don't want to sell.

BMW DOES issue Certificate of Compliance ("CoC") to the US Federal Government and all 50 states for all years and models. They just do not want to help you. You should be able to get a CoC from the EPA.gov or from any of the 50 states. Normally, you would make a FOIL request for the CoC. Since California has the strictest requirements, I went to the California Resource Air Board, and searched their database for CoC for a 2013 F800GS. Here is the CoC that you need: CoC for 2013 BMW F800GS. . If they will not accept this, then you will have to go to the EPA.GOV to get it. Most government agencies issue their own CoC once they get one from BMW.

Instead of using an Importer (Freight Forwarder), I would use Licensed Customs Broker. I would use one that only does brokerage. Some importers will have a customs broker on their staff. But, you want one that does a lot of brokerage. They will keep the problems away from you. I don't see why you have to use an importer. But, CBP may require that you put the bike into a Bonded Warehouse. In that case, you will have to use an importer that has a bonded warehouse (not all of them do). CBP Bonded warehouses freight forwarders have to be within 35 miles of CBP offices. You want to avoid having problems with CBP at all cost. I would drive the bike into the United States. Do not bring in electronic devices with you. They are known to seize them. If you put it in a moving van, and CBP demands an inspection, you have to pay for the tear down of the tractor trailer (thousands of dollars). Just so they can look at the VIN and match it to the paperwork. If they are having a bad day, they can tear down the bike and leave it in pieces. Please note, that CBP locations on the Canadian boarder are the worst. This is where the 9/11 terrorist came across, and they were blamed for the incident.

Registration of the bike is the next step. Some states are easy, and some are hard. In New York, you will need the Bike Title and the CBP form. In Vermont, you must first get a drivers license. Then you need to register the vehicles, and pay sales tax. Then you will be required to go through an inspection. Maine is probably the easiest. Personally, I would pick Maine, and keep it registered there forever.

In the worst case, you could drive the bike into the USA. Buy a used frame/title on ebay, and swap out the frames. Then register the bike like it is a USA imported bike. Then sell your Canadian frame/title on ebay in Canada. That may not work well in Vermont.

Back