• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS Tracking

No.
I have had my SPOT in the top and bottom of my tank bag and in my old Givi top box and it worked fine.
I tried it in my pocket and my body blocked the signal.

Thanks. I tried mine today, attached to the top of my Kriega bag which sits on my luggage rack. Worked great. May try it inside just for comparison.

I understand some users keep SPOT in a tank bag or top case. Since SPOT instructions say it needs a "clear view of the sky", it would seem these locations would degrade performance.

True?
Not necessarily. Obviously, since it's a kind of radio/transmitter, the more stuff between the device and the receiver, the more it will inlfuence the transmission. But in real life, it will work fine from a topcase or backpack.

Peronally, I don't want to use on of the holders that you can mount on the handlebars because I don't want to forget it on a stop and then lose it. That's why it's in my topcase. I don't use a tankbag regulary.

Back