• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Passing Etiquette

It was taught to me in the basic MSF course. I think it was to not ride in groups larger than 6 and to be cognizant of traffic. That, along with hand signals.

Additionally, though I guess it varies state by state, you are supposed to pull over in a turnout if you are holding up traffic.

I had this situation with a twist on a recent solo ride from Las Vegas to SoCal. Just past Baker I came upon a group of 30 or so Harley riders taking both lanes of I-15. I had been riding at 85-90 mph and came on them pretty quickly --- then I noticed the Bandido MC patches with Rockers. No way was I going to "pick them off one by one" and they were taking both lanes riding 2 and 3 abreast in each lane. I tucked in a good 30-40 yards back figuring I was there until they decided to exit, perhaps at Barstow. Within a couple of miles one of the rear echelon riders noticed me and waved me up signaling to pass on his left. Six to eight rows of pretty scary looking dudes signaled me on past as friendly as could be and waved as I went by. They may (do) have a bad rep, but for whatever reason (they respect a BMW?) they treated me right.

^ this is the caution I've been advised of around here (Central NE) due to several different affiliated clubs. There was a letter to the editor in the ON a few months back where some HOG members came to a BMW club meeting to remind the BMW riders that the entirety of the ride group was somehow sovereign blah blah blah.

Good call on observing the patches and waiting for the invitation.:lurk

There is no such thing as a large group of bikes that will not yield, at that point they are a caravan or bus, so treat them as such.

Am I the only one that thinks motorcycles are just another vehicle when it comes to passing?

What do you do when you come up on a line of cars? Should be the same except I DO try to get the riders attention by flashing them to let them know I intend to pass.

One at a time or ten at a time - depends on the situation.

Am I the only one that thinks motorcycles are just another vehicle when it comes to passing?

No, I look at it this way.

However, this morning on the way to work at 0500, on 83 south in Baltimore, I got buzzed on the right by some kind of Ducati. Didn't even know he was there until I Heard the low roar of the Duc's motor. (If you are on this forum and reading this...F@#K You! :thumb)

This guy came out of nowhere and scared the crap out of me. Certainly this is not proper passing etiquette, and would have been as annoying if it were a car. Maybe.

However, this morning on the way to work at 0500, on 83 south in Baltimore, I got buzzed on the right by some kind of Ducati. Didn't even know he was there until I Heard the low roar of the Duc's motor. (If you are on this forum and reading this...F@#K You! :thumb)

This guy came out of nowhere and scared the crap out of me. Certainly this is not proper passing etiquette, and would have been as annoying if it were a car. Maybe.

I'm sure you weren't doing this, being a good BMW rider and all. But every day I see cages "parked" in the left lane with no one in the lane to their right on I-270 (3+ lanes each direction). As I'm approaching from behind, I flash the lights to let them know I want to pass... and nothing. Some folks are oblivious, but I can tell many simply feel entitled to use the left lane all the way, apparently unaware that it is against the law in Missouri and most states to stay there when others want to pass. I try to be polite, but I admit to buzzing around them on the right on occasion. If I scare the crap out of anyone doing that, good. Maybe they will wise up.

First I get their attention with a flash of the lights, then I blast past the whole group, if possible, with a friendly wave.

Some states have a Slower traffic stay right signage that some take to mean if I am doing the posted speed no one should be faster than me and I'll ride the left lane. :banghead

Others have a Left Lane for Passing only
That one seems clearer:thumb

I'm sure you weren't doing this, being a good BMW rider and all. But every day I see cages "parked" in the left lane with no one in the lane to their right on I-270 (3+ lanes each direction). As I'm approaching from behind, I flash the lights to let them know I want to pass... and nothing. Some folks are oblivious, but I can tell many simply feel entitled to use the left lane all the way, apparently unaware that it is against the law in Missouri and most states to stay there when others want to pass. I try to be polite, but I admit to buzzing around them on the right on occasion. If I scare the crap out of anyone doing that, good. Maybe they will wise up.

I was in the middle lane about to get over to the right for my exit. Also it was 5 a.m. so I wasn't all the way awake. I will buzz a cager hogging up the left lane on occasion, so I know what you mean. This guy on the Duc was riding "el culo grande" was my point.

As you pointed out, I am a good BMW rider and would never hog the left lane.

I was always under the believe that you can pass on the right if it is a divided highway. And now that the right lane is the only lane open I can make some time over there. I have noticed it can scare the scat out of the distracted drivers, more so when they get buzzed by my 2500 Ram crew cab. From the land of Mass. holes

I recently had a visitor from Holland here for 2 weeks. She commented on how many people just toodle along in the left lane, wouldn't move, and forced me to pass on the right. This bothered her a lot, and, me too.

It's one thing to be clueless, which is bad, but another to not move because you are obstinate. The left lane is for faster traffic. If that's not you, move.

And, I treat my motorcycle passing differently than a car. My motorcycles can pass far, FAR more quickly than my Subaru Outback can. Passing is a completely different event with a bike than a car.

I recently had a visitor from Holland here for 2 weeks. She commented on how many people just toodle along in the left lane, wouldn't move, and forced me to pass on the right. This bothered her a lot, and, me too.

It's one thing to be clueless, which is bad, but another to not move because you are obstinate. The left lane is for faster traffic. If that's not you, move.

And, I treat my motorcycle passing differently than a car. My motorcycles can pass far, FAR more quickly than my Subaru Outback can. Passing is a completely different event with a bike than a car.

I always thought Subaru should make a Hemi.

What's the proper thing to do in this situation?

The proper thing to do was for those bozos to spread out so that other traffic can pass.

I've come across clowns like that and I was amazed how upset they got.

I got no indication from tail-end-Charlie to pass...not sure if he could see me anyway...

And neither do you have to. Its not a parade where they are riding in formation.

Now, can we start a thread titled, "stay out of the passing lane unless you are passing etiquette"? What a difficult concept that is for many to understand...at least on this continent.

This guy came out of nowhere and scared the crap out of me.

Somewhere on a Ducati thread I can envision a guy complaining about some half-awake dude on a BMW who almost changed lanes into him without bothering to check his mirrors.

If there's 3 lanes or more and someone is not "keeping right except to pass" I will indeed pass on the right.

On the topic of slow groups of Made-In-The-USA bikes:

Twice this year I have been passing Harleys on the Blue Ridge Parkway who were doing 10 or even 20 UNDER the limit (and the limit's only 45 to begin with) when the lead bike pinned his throttle in a last-second effort to prevent me from completing my pass. Three bikes the first time and four the second time (passed as a group each time).

What the Hell is THAT all about? I mean, I just laughed and rolled on more throttle to blow by them but what thought process makes someone going 25 or 30 in a 45 suddenly try and stop someone from passing?

............... but what thought process makes someone going 25 or 30 in a 45 suddenly try and stop someone from passing?

The small genitalia syndrome. When my wife passes this type, she yells "sorry about your pe..is"

When I took my drivers test for my drivers license they were more concerned with parallel parking than anything else.

I think a lot of it is a lack of driver training

Back