• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alps Passes and other roads...

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
This would be a good place to post videos of roads you have taken, be it a pass or an interesting road in the Alps or anywhere in Europe. They can be your video or ones taken off YouTube.

I did this one in 2000. From the main road SP237 to the SP669 through Bagolino to Passo Croce Domini and then the very narrow road that tees-off to Passo Maniva and down to the town of Anfo on the SP237.

Before I got a digi-camera...
Passo Maniva 1.jpg

Passo Maniva 2.jpg

The above shots were taken at 7:30, first one looking back, the second one looking forward...(not my video)
Video of Passo Maniva

Strada della Forra

I've driven around Lago di Garda a couple of times well over a decade ago but never knew this road was directly off it. One of the reasons for this thread for others to use during tour planning.

The Strada della Forra is also one of the James Bond roads, just like the road in Andermatt, Switzerland (Goldfinger).

Finally took it both in 2022 and then again in 2023 when I was tour guide to a friend who came along. The Hotel Paradiso in Tremosine sul Garda is where I stayed in 2022 and the view from the balcony is spectacular.

Once again, not my video, but Ian B has taken some very good ones.
Video of Strada della Forra

2022-06-10 - 1-X2.jpg

Großglockner

This is a screen cap from one of my videos...

i-LmsSKGg-X2.jpg

This is a screen cap from one of my videos...

i-LmsSKGg-X2.jpg

Ian, do you have a video of it?

The Grossglockner, no question about it, is wide. I mean it is an interesting road with great views and I usually take it if it is clear since the is a "maut" to drive it. If you have driven the Simplon Pass from Italy into Switzerland, you will find the same thing. It was like an Autobahn or Interstate. The one and only uninteresting pass of the 220+ different passes I have driven.

By the way, when I was touring and taking a pic, I'd mark it with my GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx) and I have the photo icon set up in the Garmin.

So on what road were you near St. Moritz. You likely drove the Albula and Julier passes.

Ian, do you have a video of it?

The clip is near the end of the video... about 5:45

The Grossglockner, no question about it, is wide. I mean it is an interesting road with great views and I usually take it if it is clear since the is a "maut" to drive it. If you have driven the Simplon Pass from Italy into Switzerland, you will find the same thing. It was like an Autobahn or Interstate. The one and only uninteresting pass of the 220+ different passes I have driven.

If you watch the video, you'll see my preference for technical roads. Yes, the big/popular passes are a little less challenging, but you *have* to ride them, just to say you did!

By the way, when I was touring and taking a pic, I'd mark it with my GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx) and I have the photo icon set up in the Garmin.

I usually use the camera's EXIF data

So on what road were you near St. Moritz. You likely drove the Albula and Julier passes.

Maloja Pass (3) heading northeast from Italy. It was the end of a day-ride loop that took me south via the Bernina Pass and the tiny roads up the hill from SS38 in Italy.

Torre di Fraele, Italy

This is just north of Bormio on the SS301 at Pradelle.

Back in 2002 when I drove it, it was ALL gravel with deep ruts in the hairpins due to dump truck tires. Right now it is all paved and there is a "toll" to drive it all the way to the top and around the two lakes. There were no vehicles when I drove it in 2002, now it has cars and bicylists on it.

Not my video, but Hansjoergs Motorradreisen has a slew of good videos as well.

Video of Torre di Fraele, Italy

At 6:35 on the video...
0206.jpg

And heading around the lakes at the top...
0207.jpg

Maloja Pass (3) heading northeast from Italy. It was the end of a day-ride loop that took me south via the Bernina Pass and the tiny roads up the hill from SS38 in Italy.

The Maloja Pass coming from Chiavenna is certainly different. All switchbacks at first till you come to the plateau and flat roads then onto St. Moritz. I am usually going the other way from Livigno which is where I usually spend a few days at hotels there, plus it being a duty-free zone, gas is a lot cheaper.

Maloja reminds me a lot of Passo San Boldo; flat to the north and then this...
0101.jpg

With limited years left to ride in Europe, I am torn between going to new places or returning to those already visited and riding them more thoroughly.

I know that feeling and that after 27 years of riding there. And I am having serious thoughts about calling it quits. But when you are sitting at 1000 pounds two-up with luggage and alot of it at a high CoG, those hirpins (Splügen Pass, Manghen Pass, etc) while heading up on the inside of the hairpin (its like driving around a garbage can) at a few clicks with 20% grades, it gets tough. And you can't always look to see who (car) is coming down the other way, otherwise I would swing wide and cut in. Riding solo is no issue.

Ian, if you ever stay in Livigno (near the Bernina Pass), PM me. I have stayed at three different hotels in Livigno over the years, but the new one I found in 2022 was tops. I stayed there again in 2023.

Great roads in FRANCE

I've been in France and drove all the roads and passes from Martigny to Nice, but as close as I was to the roads discussed in Hansjoergs Motorradreisen video, I never got to some of these and they are NOT TO BE MISSED.

If you speak German, you'll love his Bavarian accent.

For example the road at 10:18 in the first video...
Franz. Alpen per Motorrad, best of, Teil I (Part 1)

Franz. Alpen per Motorrad, best of, Teil II (Part 2)

Franz Alpen per Motorrad, best of, Teil III (Part 3)

I had the great good fortune to ship a bike with Stefan Knopf in 2019, and have stored it at his facility in Heidelberg. Been able to ride every year since, except 2020 b/c of the pandemic, for extended periods, usually 4-7 weeks. Just awesome.

This year was Corsica, Sardinia and the French Alps.

All documented here as "The European Chronicles": https://kickstandsupat7.blogspot.com

Best viewed on a computer, then it is easy to go back to earlier posts.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• Y67546-13h24m39.jpg
    Y67546-13h24m39.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 35
Back