• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

it might be...

B

Bruce_H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it might be... November 13th, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It might be that summer is gone however a couple of weeks ago we had a sixty eight degree day, YES! After work Dietmar and I went for a ride stopping along the rocky shore in Yachats and then onward south to Heceta Head. There was a marine layer of fog that moved on and off the highway making the sun appear as a large ball of fire on it's way to the sea. Almost sunset...

Would you think the Romans had any influence in the design of this bridge?

11_02_100185.jpg
This week on Thursday we again had glorious blue sky, alas I needed to work. In any case the fair weather didn't last, mid afternoon it was raining buckets. By morning this storm swept thru and dawn has brought blue sky. I phoned Tank to see if it was possible to stay in the barn, YES! By noon I was out of here.

along the beach, my favorite boat...

11_13_100131.jpg

the sun is setting...

11_13_100171.jpg
What a nice sunset and only a few more miles to go. I would be early enough to shoot the fish as the lights stayed on until eight.

11_13_100811.jpg

colorful fish...

11_13_101831.jpg

The morning light brought a crimson sunrise as I cruise south for breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a logging camp from times past and a favorite place. Food is all you can eat and seating is family style so interaction and conversation with other visitors is normal. Today I joined a local CMA chapter having their monthly breakfast meeting. Being there at the same time was only a fluke although I had met them before in the same circumstances. Last time none of them had ridden their bikes as it was raining, we all laughed about that. They were leaving for a ride to Fort Bragg, though invited, my thought was to turn east on highway 36 so opted to continue solo.

there were several of these bridges now unused, I stopped to check them out...

11_13_102391.jpg
Riding east the sun has left and all I can see are clouds, the beach was sunny. At some point I made the decision to turn around but instead found a road heading north that would intersect highway 299 and bring me back to the beach, I thought a nice loop. Not to be, shortly the surface turned to dirt and with the past rains was a bit snotty, again I turned around. I will have to try it when drier.

Back on the beach the clouds have rolled in and the pavement is wet, still a very nice ride. Hard to show with this photograph but the sun has cut thru the clouds and the white ocean surf is lighted up like a neon sign, the clouds in the distance black. Here the highway is so close to the ocean you could almost fish from the seat of your bike.

11_13_102551.jpg

I am standing on the edge of the pull out, my bike beside me, the ocean is that close...

11_13_102621.jpg
The mist comes and goes, and the road is wet but not really raining. Traffic is light and I mostly have the highway to myself, this is a premium ride along the Oregon coast, rain or not. Over time the ocean has eroded the headlands and the highway follows, meandering, up, down, twist, turn, the ever present ocean always in view. The distance shows dark clouds and no sign of a colored sunset, only the ever darkening grey.

There are a few deer along the highway, at one point several Elk. I watch out of the corner of my eye as they bound up the bank. Sure glad they weren't in the road. I stop at Heceta Head lighthouse and watch as the light cuts thru the fog and the dark of night, turning round and round, it's fingers of light reaching into the distance.

Heceta Head lighthouse, mesmerizing...

11_13_102881.jpg

thanks for riding along, Bruce H.

Back