• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT recall.

moshaffer

Has anyone heard from BMW or their dealer about a recall on account of the front brake lines possably being under strain?? It is NHTSA RECALL NO. 09V256000.:dunno

My '06 RT was subject to a similar recall in July, '06. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, especially as it affects only about 1500 '07~'09 RTs.

Tom

At the risk of confusing things, there was a recent recall that affected only police model RTs, i.e., RT-Ps. Is this perhaps what you're referring to?

Numbers to call here.

Make : BMW Model : R1200 RT Year : 2009
Build Dates : 0000-00-00 - 0000-00-00
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 09V256000
Date Owner's Notified: 0000-00-00 Date Received by ODI: 2009-07-08 Date Added to Database: 2009-07-08
Manufacturers Involved: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE
Manufacturer Campaign Number: R1200 RT
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1535
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING 1,535 MY 2007-2009 R1200RT MOTORCYCLES. DUE TO ROUTING AND ASSEMBLY TOLERANCES OF THE FRONT BRAKE LINES, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE LINES TO BE UNDER STRAIN. IN COMBINATION WITH VIBRATION DURING RIDING, THE BRAKE LINES COULD DEVELOP A LEAK. THE LEVEL OF FLUID IN THE FRONT BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR COULD DROP RENDERING THE FRONT BRAKES INOPERATIVE.
Consequence:
IN THE EVENT THAT ONLY THE REAR BRAKES WERE OPERATIONAL, SEVERE LOSS OF CONTROL DURING HARD BRAKING COULD RESULT. THIS COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS CRASH.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPAIR THE MOTORCYCLES WITH NEW FRONT BRAKE LINES, WITH MODIFIED ROUTING FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 12, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.
Report Initiator: MFR V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
BMW'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NO. R1200 RT.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 'TTY 1-800-424-9153', OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Since "notification" is expected to begin on or about 10/12, and will certainly be by postal service mail, I suspect a few folks may hear soon. Others later than soon.

When do you get your magazine? :)

I asked recently about this RT brake line recall and my dealer's service department said it applied only to police RT's.

RT recall.

Paul I receive my mag. shortly after the first of the month so maybe there will be info there?
The recall doesn't say anything about the RT-P just the RTs in general and from 07-09 and as previously posted 1535 units. There is a BMW # to call though if owners don't receive this free remedy.

I asked recently about this RT brake line recall and my dealer's service department said it applied only to police RT's.

Then, I would call the BMW 1-800-xxx-xxxx number at BMW and give them my serial number and ask for a confirmation that my bike is, or is not, included.

If not satisfied at that point, I would call the NHSTA 1-800 xxx-xxx number and ask the same question.

Paul I receive my mag. shortly after the first of the month so maybe there will be info there?
The recall doesn't say anything about the RT-P just the RTs in general and from 07-09 and as previously posted 1535 units. There is a BMW # to call though if owners don't receive this free remedy.

I don't expect anything in the mag until at least January due to leadtimes at the layout/printers guys.

My cryptic reference to the magaine was to test your postal delivery time. :)

Here an earlier post by Jmetzger on the RTP Recall information

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=40404

Rt recall

I read about the recall last week and since I have an 09 rt I decided to called BMW. They said my bike wasn't within the batch recalled so I don't have to do anything. The call just took me 2 min and was able to eliminate my safety concern.

Same here. I emailed my VIN # to my dealer last week and it showed no recall on my 08RT. Apparently it must only be in effect for certain bikes within that year range. ??? Seems odd though since you would expect all bikes would be made the exact same way during a certain model year. It's one thing to have a run of defective parts, but stuff regarding how a brake line is run you would think would all be the same.

Seems odd though since you would expect all bikes would be made the exact same way during a certain model year.
Makes perfect sense if the recall is directed solely to the RT-P's -- roughly the right number of police bikes, and it's not surprising that the brake arrangements are different, as BMW has been producing a variety of brake arrangement variants for years to suit police departments' preferences/contract specifications.

If you've ever looked closely at an RT-P, you find that about the only major parts they have in common with the civilian bikes is the driveline and the front fairing -- they have very different wiring harnesses, different rear subframes, etc. So, until I see a letter from BMWNA in the mailbox, I'm going to believe my dealer when he sez it's RT-P's only, and forget about it.

I a spoke with the dealer service department here a few weeks after the bulletin was released. They said RT-P only!!!! My was not affected. '09 RT

Back