• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It stalls after a fill-up

I've finally determined when it happens I just don't know why. Virtually every time I get gas and fillup my K1200 for the first 10 miles or so afterwards it is prone to stall when I stop. This happens when I'm in town having stopped from 30 mph or on a freeway encountering heavy traffic after going 70mph. The connection is definitely related to having fueled up and will reoccur for about the first 10 miles then it's no problem. After it stalls I can start it without any difficulty. Might this be a fuel injection problem? Any ideas about a remedy?

Disconnect your gas tank overflow canister underneath the seat, and try to blow thru the hoses. This is usually the cause of this problem. If its plugged, get a new one.

Oh yay!!Another DIY fix for an alarming problem we should not experience.

"Fill the gas tank,it stalls"

Oh no real prob,just blow into...

Yee haw!I want me one of them BMWs!They are so reliable!

jgr, you need to blow into the back of the muffler when your bike stalls. Sorta a Canuck version of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. ;)

Thanks guys. I've come to the point where I really don't give a damn if it stalls because I know I can a)blow b)suck c)be happy I own such a reliable bike.

P.S. If I'm going to be blowing or sucking should the bike be stopped or at least be going at a relatively slow speed?

can you play nice?

Filling the tank drops the air volume (headspace) so liquid "hangs". The open-to-air breather isn't right. Get a good answer, disconnections & bypasses void warranties, cheese off the EPA & may just sidestep the symptom for a real problem (although, I'm guilty of Much Worse). Sux to have such a great scoot goofing on said detail...

it stalls after a fill-up

jgr451 it's a 2002 LT. After these thoughts expressed I think I will go back to the dealer and have them look at it. The last time I talked with them about it was before I indentified the stalling as happening immediately following a fillup. That should help with their diagnosis.

Back