• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

shelled out tranny

djkehoe

Recently purchased a '78 R100/7 and shelled out the tranny in the first 500 miles. Are gearboxes a weak link on these old bikes? Someone suggested that sitting around trashes out the bearings and failure is common. Someone else has informed me that synthetic lube doesn't transfer the heat off the gears well and they overheat. Good source of used parts? Will another used tranny do the same? Any good rebuilt boxes out there? Any help would be appreciated trying to understand this thing.

You might want to check out the tech pages at airheads.org in addition to info you get here. Good Luck!

Both of the old Airheads we refurbished needed tranny rebuilds, which started with ruined input splines from LACK OF SERVICING. The input spline shaft is $300+, and as long as you've got the gearbox apart, get new bearings and seals in the thing. A rebuild bill of $1000 is not uncommon, and anyone who tries to sell you a rebuilt one for less probably didn't go all the way.

The transmissions do last a long time when minimally maintained. My K75 gearbox has 180,000 miles on it with just annual gear oil changes and spline lubes every 3-4 years.

I recently saved a long neglected transmission on an R75/6. If you go with a used box, try this.

1-drain all the old gear lube.
2-install transmission
3-re-fill with fresh gear lube. I use 80w90 hypoid.
4-using the rear wheel to turn the transmission, engage all the gears upshifting and back. If you have a helper you can do this holding in the clutch, otherwise take out the spark plugs.
5-Run the bike on the road enough to cycle all the gears a few times.
6- drain and re-fill.

The transmission I re-habbed in this manner had sat un-used for 6 or 7 years. When we started, it would only shift into first and second, and then sometimes not hold second. After the proceedure, the box works fine. A good dose of insurance for any used gearbox.

Back