• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pelican Top Case?

S

SNC1923

OK. I can see that I'm going to need to make some adjustments to how I carry camera gear.

I'm very concerned about the long-term effects of vibration due to carrying my camera gear in my saddle bag. I also want to improve accessibility. I've seen one or more members here fit a Pelican brand case to their cargo carrier, and I think I want to try the same.

I'm operating under the assumption that by storing the gear in such a container, embedded in foam, and on that location on the bike, I can reduce the effects of vibration, keep the gear dry, and make it more quickly accessible.

Does anyone have any thoughts or direct experience with this? I'm especially curious about how to fit or attach the case to luggage rack and if it is quickly or easily removable.

Thanks!

I had a pelican case on the back of my R1150 R.
_MG_2835.jpg

This is the medium sized case, I think it's the 1450 but don't quote me on that. Inside the case fits a LOWEPRO camera case with dividers (not foam). The case itself is bolted to the bracket that locks onto the back luggage rack. The plate has been removed from the bracket. The case with bracket locks onto to the rack. The case could be locked as well with small combination locks.

I liked this set-up and never had any problems with vibrations to my equipment. The amount of gear I placed in the case made it quite heavy, and I noticed some rubbing marks where the bracket was attached. It also bounced a little bit underway.

I now am using the same Lowepro soft case inside a GIVI V46 top case on the RT. The top case mounting for this bike appears to be slightly more robust. I wouldn't mind adapting a Pelican case to this type of mount if possible, but right now I don't see how (while maintaining security and flexibility).

The Omni is the right size for travelling. It fits a camera body with lens attached, a telephoto, another medium size lens, a small lens and a tele-extender, a flash, plus odds n' ends.

camera protection

I would rather have the camera on the gas tank. Or in a tankbag with those cushion type boxes. Not as much rattle problems y'know?

There are other manufactures for the pelican type case. Check out www.digi-key.com and do a search. Huge electronics store in northern minnesota. Prices are real good from cases to pannasonic batteries for your motorcycle.

tim lindstrom
columbia heights, mn
95k1100RS
91k100LT

I would rather have the camera on the gas tank. Or in a tankbag with those cushion type boxes. Not as much rattle problems y'know?

I hear what you're saying. Even with a GSA, no one makes a tank bag that big. I'm talking about hauling a DSLR, battery grip, six lenses, two flashes, and assorted accessories. One of my lenses alone weighs over three pounds!

I often want to take a camera on a motorcycle trip; however, I recently find myself wanting to ride my motorcycle on a photography trip.

The Pelican top case is really appealing, but if I don't house the equipment in foam, I'm not sure I'm buying any significant vibration protection over my saddle bag. I have a gadget bag that fits my GSA side case as though it were made for it. I've even considered buying blocks of foam for my top case and just storing everything vertically. . . .

Lots to think about.

I need to figure out how to mount my Pelican to the top of my radio box. I'm thinking I need a rack bolted to the top of my radio box. Then the Pelican can get strapped to the rack, and I can strap a duffel bag on top of the Pelican.

Has anyone ever seen a rack for sale that would fit on the top of a RT-P radio box?
20080223-003.jpg

Tom, have you given any thought to using motorcycle luggage, lined with foam, that fits inside your BMW cases? The GS cases are sure strong enough, plus, when your not shooting photos you can just remove the foam insert from the fabric luggage and use the luggage as luggage.

My approach has always been to adapt nondescript motorcycle gear to photo usage thereby keeping what is out of sight out of mind. In my mind any kind of non-motorcycle bag looks like a potential target to a thief. So I tend to make my photo storage as invisible as possible while on my bike.

As far as ease of access to my camera goes, the ÔÇ£photo modifiedÔÇØ or adapted tank bag has been my solution. For the rest of the gear I usually carry only two extra lenses, a flash and a data storage drive, all that fits in a camera bag, inside a weather resistant duffel bag that is strapped to the saddle of the R90/6. The tripod is in a very non-descript black duffel bag on top or behind the waterproof duffel. On occasion, IÔÇÖll stick a few accessories in a small padded camera bag and travel with that in the saddlebag.

No matter what approach you take, you will always have vibration to contend with so use plenty of foam between lenses and gear.

As an aside, I have at times used clear fingernail polish to dab the edges of screws on some of my camera gear (just the edges.) What would happen is the high frequency vibration of aircraft would loosen some screws on my cameras and some screws would work themselves out.

Good luck!

Tom, have you given any thought to using motorcycle luggage, lined with foam, that fits inside your BMW cases?

Hey, Dude. Long time no hear.

You know, it occurred to me, finally, that I could just get some tight, closed-cell foam for my top case. It's not an ideal shape (square) but I would work fine and is large enough. I'd just put the high-frequency use gear in the top layer and the more obscure stuff (100 macro, 85 1.8, etc. in the bottom layer.

On the other hand, I could just use my G9 in my tank bag. It will do 90% of what I want or need.

I recently went on a wildflower ride and I took every piece of equipment I own, including a full-sized tripod. I wound up using ONLY my 17-85 lens.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I'm looking hard at a 17-55 (2.8) but I fear that I would miss the reach of the 85. I guess I could keep the 17-85 for the on-bike lens, but I just don't have the finances to own everything.

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions, everyone.

Back