• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to replace City Nav 6 onto Nav II with City Nav 8 ?

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
I have a Nav III with City Nav NT 8 preloaded and the disk and installed in Mapsource, etc. How do I load ver 8 onto my "old" City Nav II+ which still has City Nav 6 on it?
Do I just highlight the entire North America and Puerto Rico and transfer it to the Nav III using maps?
BTW, that doesn't work. The Mapsource won't bring up the Nav II if I try to do that. But I can bring up the Nav II as a device for other tasks. So this isn't a USB device issue, etc.
Anybody do this?

Mapsource Differences

I believe that the Nav II is BMW equivalent of the 2610 and Nav III is the BMW equivalent of the 2820.

The Nav III/2820 uses City Nav NT Mapsource. The Nav II/2610 does not. It uses the City Nav. Therefore it will not load City Nav NT 8 maps. It will load the way points and the routes. I now this from experience.

Look at the Garmin site there is City Navigator NT 8 and City Navigator 8. I guessing the difference is that the NT versions are necessary for 3D viewing of the maps on the unit.

Mudbug said:
I believe that the Nav II is BMW equivalent of the 2610 and Nav III is the BMW equivalent of the 2820.

The Nav III/2820 uses City Nav NT Mapsource. The Nav II/2610 does not. It uses the City Nav. Therefore it will not load City Nav NT 8 maps. It will load the way points and the routes. I now this from experience.

Look at the Garmin site there is City Navigator NT 8 and City Navigator 8. I guessing the difference is that the NT versions are necessary for 3D viewing of the maps on the unit.

Thanks much. That gives me some insight. I also have City Nav ver 7, so that will have to do unless I buy 8. Thanks again.

I loaded version 8 on my NavII and all you do is to load the CD into the computer first and when the screen gives you the choice of which model to update you select the one listed as "other models" due to the fact that the 2610 is not made anymore but is supported though not by name specifically anymore. I had to contact Garmin directly to find that out as there was nothing on the site to suggest that course of action. All else is done automatically. Then connect the NavII to the USB or the memory card into a reader and select maps to copy over as one would normally do. A tip is to ensure you have the latest update on the receiver itself prior to the new maps.

I checked Garmin's site. City Navigator 8 is compatible with the 2610. The 2610 is not listed as being compatible with the City Navigator NT 8. The list for the NT version needs to be updated because it does not list the 2820, which is compatible with it.

Mudbug said:
I checked Garmin's site. City Navigator 8 is compatible with the 2610. The 2610 is not listed as being compatible with the City Navigator NT 8. The list for the NT version needs to be updated because it does not list the 2820, which is compatible with it.

Thanks for the info again. When ver 8 NT came with the Nav III, I thought I'd put it on the Nav II also. But, I guess I'll put ver 7 on the Nav II since I own it and maybe not buy ver 8 (non NT) for it. I didn't realize the difference between ver 8 and ver 8 NT.

Back