• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rockster Shocks on R1150R? Aftermarket recommendations?

JRD

Live the Dream
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of low mileage BMW shocks from a 2004 Rockster that were taken off early on. Will they work on my 2003 R1150R and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Also, what are your recommendations for aftermarket shocks for the R1150R that balance cost, quality, and performance in everyday conditions (not the race track)?

Thanks,

at a cheap enough price stockers are a good deal.

i have no idea what "cheap enough" equates to however.
should fit, as the Rockster and the 1150R are essentially the same bike.

Good quality shocks are not just a race-track requirement. Having ridden my RS for many years on crapped out stock shocks, the results of going to good quality shocks for everyday use, commuting, sport-touring, long distance riding, is phenominal.

Big thing is to get a quality, rebuildable shock, custom setup for you, that places you/your loading/your riding style right in the middle of the shocks adjustment range, gives you THE best options for getting the best ride out of your bike.

For a good quality rebuildable shock, I'd start with Hagon. I have Wilbers on my RS. But if I were to start from scratch I would give Hagon a close look.

What about those Hagons, any experience with them out there? They seem economical when compared with the others. At this point I'll be comparing Ohlins, Wilbers, and Hagon -- any other aftermarket suggestions?

The OEM Rockster take-offs are still available, but I'm leery of raising the rear and lowering the front of my R1150R even a little bit. Any comments or experience with that?

Thanks all for your input.

I have Hagon's on my 95 R1100RS and the ride is so much better. My old OEM had 117k miles on them. I have a set of Wilber's for sale out on the Flea Market. They would not fit my R1100RS at all.

Last edited:
Back