• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Ebony 2014 RT

wppatin

Kajun-Flyer
Picked up my new Wethead last Wednesday and have put right at 500 miles so far, would have been more except the weather has not really cooperated. My dealer, BMW of Baton Rouge had received 3 new WH's and all went in short order with one going to a close friend and riding buddy. He called and say let make a run to Tulsa OK, 565 miles and off we went me on my 2009 RT and up he rolls on his new WetHead.

During our ride I just had to try his new bike for a couple hundred mile run ... Mistake!!! ... My 2009 had Barbacks, Russell Day Long, Bakup, cruise pegs and was setup perfect for me ... Why would I even consider getting a new bike much less be an early buyer for a new model. Well althought the ergo's are not where they need to be for me box stock the handling and ride of this bike are just brilliant. I have had a 2004 RT and my latest 2009 RT that I thought it was my last bike.

I visited Baton Rouge BMW after my fatal ride on my friends bike and ask how long before they get any new RT back in stock, short answer, no idea.. Said I would put a down payment on an Ebony edition and let me know if and when. To my surprise he called back couple of hours later and said his rep had found one in the wharehouse and if they listed it as sold it could arrive within 7 days ... Found that hard to believe but 7 days to the days I took deliver of my new Ebony 2014 RT. Thank you Clark and Baton Rouge BMW.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 432
Congrats on a great new ride.

Now I know I won't be taking a test ride soon. :whistle

Congratulations wppatin that's a great looking bike. Looking at your pictures I'm just in awe seeing the sunshine and grass!

Yeah it was great ... 27 overnight, ice, sleet, road closures ... But back up to 60 with sun tomorrow.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 349
Congrats on the beautiful new motorcycle. The review was excellent, thanks. I depart tomorrow for Florida to watch a few Spring Training baseball games on my new Callisto Grey, RT. After 900 miles, this is a great BMW product.

Congrats! Nice to know BMW still has their policy of not making the bike totally comfy from the start. The big question is, how is the power difference? Noticeable improvement with the e-throttle as well? I just got my 90th RT and I'm quite happy with it, so I don't plan on testing a wethead for a while. :p

Congrats! Nice to know BMW still has their policy of not making the bike totally comfy from the start. The big question is, how is the power difference? Noticeable improvement with the e-throttle as well? I just got my 90th RT and I'm quite happy with it, so I don't plan on testing a wethead for a while. :p

Was that a typo? If it wasn't you are my hero. My wife thinks that I'm fickle since I currently own my 3rd 1100 RT. :dance

To answer the power and throttle question ... Yes and Yes. In the Dynamic mode if you grab a handful you had better be prepared for the instant eye opening surge. I had ridden my friends 2014 RT on a road trip for a couple hundred miles but it was rainy and cold and it was in "Rain" mode the entire time and pretty heavenly loaded. When I picked new Ebony 2014 up it was by default in "Dynamic" so I motor a ways down the road until I came to a merge onto Interstate lane, I was in second gear about 25 miles an hour following a typical lets come to a complete stop and look for A mile gap so I can enter the Interstate type ... I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about. Anyway saw my opportunity to lane change up to 2 lane and enter with absolutely no issue so I took it. I honestly was not prepared for the level of throttle response and acceleration. When things settled down I change over to "Rain" mode again, 70% throttle response and continued home. I have riidden most of my breaking miles so far in the "Road" mode which is still much more responsive than my 2009 RT but more than enough for my every day riding style. This bike is FAST and QUICK, the added horsepower and torque and smooth throttle response is noticeable from a 1st gear crawl and easy slow speed parking lot handling to exceptional smooth quick up and downshift using the auto shift function, does take awhile to ingrain not changing your throttle position on the up shifts and making a positive pull with your foot on the gearshift. But when you do it is smooth and seamless. The downshifts are even nicer as the engine sync's the engine speed to the gear selection with a nice little blip of engine speed. Sound kinda like a race car downshifting ... I like it!!!

I have no issue with having to work on the riding position as that is true with almost all bikes I have owned. The process of personalizing ones bike to one preferred position though not necessarily painless is something we do with most everything in our lives. I discovered Russell seats on 2003 RT. When I bought my 2009 I tried a used Sargent off the Flea Market BMW sight, quickly realized better than the OEM seat but not a Day Long solution for me. Ordered my Russell and when it arrived sold the Sargent on the BMW board. This Russell raised my seating position enough I installed Risers and a Bakup and was in the most comfortable touring position ever.

I'm headed to Shasta Lake Ca in a couple of weeks for a ride- in with Rick Mayer to begin the process on this bike. Life is journey ... Enjoy the Ride my friend.

Was that a typo? If it wasn't you are my hero. My wife thinks that I'm fickle since I currently own my 3rd 1100 RT. :dance

LOL I think he is referring to 90th year anniversary, as in a 2013 model (1923-2013). But don't explain this to the wife, let her believe he is on his 90th RT. :D

Congrats on the bike. I was really surprised that the "Ebony" comes out as a deeb black/burgondy and the "Gray" comes out as a green! I picked the Quartz Blue based on pictures, but I'm thinking I would have been happy with either of the others. Mine is scheduled for delivery NLT 31 March. Tick Tock...

Congrats on the bike. I was really surprised that the "Ebony" comes out as a deeb black/burgondy and the "Gray" comes out as a green! I picked the Quartz Blue based on pictures, but I'm thinking I would have been happy with either of the others. Mine is scheduled for delivery NLT 31 March. Tick Tock...

Congrats on the new bike ... My friend has a Quartz Blue beautiful bike ... I actually like all the new colors kinda like a throw back to Mood Rings and Lava Lamps :ear ... You will smile for miles with your new Bike

Cheers

"If you test ride one of these beauties ... THEY GOT YA!!"

Congrats on the new ride. Must be the angle of the sun, but the color looks purple in the photo.
I am fighting the urge to do a test ride, but I have an 06 RT now all bought and paid for, so I don't need a temptation flung on me.;)

Hah yeah, I should have added my "90th anniversary edition" RT, not my 90th bike. This is my 6th bike and 3rd beemer.

Thanks for the info on the RTW! I have one more questions for you. Did they change up the gearing at all for 6th gear? For example, on my bike at 4000rpm my speedometer reads 76mph approximately. Is that about the same with the new one?

Good luck with your ride in with Rick Mayer. He is a super cool guy and just did my seat for me a couple months ago. It's really fun to watch him at his craft while he's making it as well. Absolutely love the seat too. Blows my old Sargent out of the water for half the price.

Hah yeah, I should have added my "90th anniversary edition" RT, not my 90th bike. This is my 6th bike and 3rd beemer.

Thanks for the info on the RTW! I have one more questions for you. Did they change up the gearing at all for 6th gear? For example, on my bike at 4000rpm my speedometer reads 76mph approximately. Is that about the same with the new one?

Good luck with your ride in with Rick Mayer. He is a super cool guy and just did my seat for me a couple months ago. It's really fun to watch him at his craft while he's making it as well. Absolutely love the seat too. Blows my old Sargent out of the water for half the price.

I think it pretty much the same but I guess I can get on the bike as if I need an excuse to ride my Ebony Rocket ... I will get a good check for you tomorrow, weather looks okay and I am trying to close out the miles for my scheduled 600 inspection Saturday.

Last edited:

I did some interstate miles today and check speed vs RPM ... With the speedo set at a steady 76 MPH it was indicating 4100 ... On my 2009 the difference between the speedo and the MPH indicatesd on the GPS was 3 or 4 MPH, on my WetHead the difference is only 2 MPH ... So I set 76 MPH using the GPS readout And I was running at 4250 which is a hash mark on the Tach. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back