• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshield supports 2009 R1200RT

For three years (36,000 miles) with CalSci shield on '07 RT with OEM windshield struts I have had no problem. But because of a similar previous thread replacement struts are in my tool bag! I ride with the shield 75-80% raised most of the time.

Cal-Sci and OEM work for me too.

13,000 miles and 1.5 years.

My Cal-Sci is 2" over stock and the protection works so well that I usually can ride with it within a inch of the lowest position. I'm 6' tall.

Being able to use it that low takes some wind strain off the mounts and the Cal-Sci does not vibrate around like the stock one did. Vibration may hurt the struts more than wind load.

Two years and about 12K with the Cal Sci. (08 RT)
You know, I think having a strut break on the road would be an issue. I think I'll take the advice and put a set in the bag just in case.

For those of you who have invested in 'spares' for the windshield brackets (and hopefully not BMW OEM parts - not really further ahead with them!), I'd suggest you swap out the West Tool units and make the OEM ones your extras.

That way, you're not really waiting around for anything to break.

I also wonder if the Cal-Sci's might be 'immune' to snapping the OEM struts, due to that big old hole in the middle?

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Put the new struts on in the comfort of your shop, keep the old ones as spares. A field repair would be a pain in the neck. But, seriously, if you put on the non OEMs, you can keep the spares at home because these units won't break.

Last edited:
Agreed. The westool struts are bulletproof compared to the pot metal oem stuff- no reason to carry the oem's as spares- I don't carry mine either. In fact, I've forgotten whether I threw them away or onto a back corner of a garage shelf. I know I'll never need them for anything unless we start a national scrap metal drive.

And I do carry enough tools and bits to pretty much handle any of the typical stuff that can go wrong because I hate to have a fun trip interrupted. So far, the only glitch on my 08 RT has been the fpc, easily managed. Hope to keep it that way.

Okay, got a Cee Bailey windshield at one inch taller and three inches wider than stock. Do I automatically need aluminum supports or can I wait to see if the stock supports break first?

I have an '09 Rt with a Standard Ztechnik Vstream shield.

there is a guy over on BMWlt who I bought a pair of new struts from which are Solid stainless steel, industrial acrylic flat black painted and included are installed German sourced bushings.

I think he only charged me $65.00 and not sure if he has anymore but it would be worth a n email
Here is a link to a photo of the part. They fit perfectly and were fairly easy to install. Just don't lose the C-clips in the dash and you'll be fine!

http://gallery.me.com/jkwinchester1#100335&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Here is his email address jkwinchester1@mac.com, His name is Jim. these things were beautifully done

His screen name over at BMWlt is Blackwing18

07 RT and 37K miles....

I put an Aeroflow screen on as soon as I bought. My first strut broke on a trip from Fla to Michigan and I was able to "JB Weld" it to get me up and back. As soon as I got home, I went looking into similar streams and orderd with Westflo struts.

I didn't install them right away, but did have them with my tools/spares....fortunately, since they both broke this past June, on a trip to Colorado.

A 30 min delay leaving one morning...and I swapped both out and on my way. When I got home, I took my old struts and the name/address for Westflo to my local BMW dealer.

$120-$140 isn't a lot for safety, even if you don't ever need them, especially if you're like me and spend more for other stuff for the bike.

RT12, 09

I am going to go with a V-Stream. I noticed there were only 2 resources for off market bracket supports. Are there more options?

front/lower windshield supports

Hi, have a larger windshield on my RT. Replace the upper struts when one broke thousands of miles ago. Now one of the lower/front supports is broken. Will appreciate any wisdom on replacing this? Thanks, George

Hi, have a larger windshield on my RT. Replace the upper struts when one broke thousands of miles ago. Now one of the lower/front supports is broken. Will appreciate any wisdom on replacing this? Thanks, George

From a recent thread of mine (not good news, I'm afraid):

Long story short - plowing westward into some respectable headwinds (35+ MPH, or what SD natives call "a slight breeze"), a vehicle passed me close on my left, set up a sudden and disturbing vortex and my shield instantly collapsed near the headlight assembly.

I immediately lowered it and when I tried raising it again, it simulated the collapsing action once more. Luckily I was at a Sturgis exit, so off to Sturgis BMW for an evaluation.

Turns out the lower left bracket that helps to raise and lower the windshield on my R1200RT snapped in two. I had already replaced the two upper pieces of 'pot metal' after having snapped one of them - a chronic problem with the RT's - but hadn't given the lowers a second thought.

Unfortunately, the lower brackets are not modular like the upper ones are - a careful check of schematics revealed that these brackets and the motor/carriage assembly that operates our windshields are all one unit - to the tune of $350+ with labor.

From a recent thread of mine (not good news, I'm afraid):

Long story short - plowing westward into some respectable headwinds (35+ MPH, or what SD natives call "a slight breeze"), a vehicle passed me close on my left, set up a sudden and disturbing vortex and my shield instantly collapsed near the headlight assembly.

I immediately lowered it and when I tried raising it again, it simulated the collapsing action once more. Luckily I was at a Sturgis exit, so off to Sturgis BMW for an evaluation.

Turns out the lower left bracket that helps to raise and lower the windshield on my R1200RT snapped in two. I had already replaced the two upper pieces of 'pot metal' after having snapped one of them - a chronic problem with the RT's - but hadn't given the lowers a second thought.

Unfortunately, the lower brackets are not modular like the upper ones are - a careful check of schematics revealed that these brackets and the motor/carriage assembly that operates our windshields are all one unit - to the tune of $350+ with labor.

Ohhh, not happy!. One of my lower windshield brackets on my '06 R1200RT broke yesterday. The fiche at Max BMW does indeed not show availability of just the brackets. They seem to be part of the whole motor assembly, if I'm reading correctly. I hope I'm not out that kind of $$$.

I called the nice folks who make the upper brackets; they're supposed to call me back with whatever news they have about the lower brackets.

2006 RT with CalSci

38,000 miles with Calsci and no breaks. North Dakota and northwestern MN "breezes", really nasty sometimes. I believe that the big old hole neutralizes so much frontal pressure that it clearly helps. When I clean the windshield the back side has almost as much bug guts as the front side. The big pieces of plywood make a heck of a difference.
My 2 cents.:brow

Links not working

Most, if not all, of the links on this thread are not working. Does anyone have a link for the website that sells the replacement struts for the windshield? Google's no help either.
Thanks

Last edited:
Most, if not all, of the links on this thread are not working. Does anyone have a link for the website that sells the replacement struts for the windshield? Google's no help either.
Thanks

Looking for these - http://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12rtshldarms.html

yhst-15102260216258_2221_27205418

Just picked up a pair of these upper struts from Beemer Boneyard and installed a ZTechnik Z2402 windshield with them. They seem well made and fit like a factory part.

I did notice though that the bottom flat side of both arms touches the black plastic on top of the nacelle in the full down position. I can see the side wind deflectors and my Migsel GPS mount flex just slightly as they push down on the plastic. Anyone else with these mounts notice this? Doesn't seem like it will become a long term issue, but I was slightly surprised that there was any contact. Perhaps that is the price you pay to have stronger struts that won't snap with the added air pressure generated by larger aftermarket shields.

Just picked up a pair of these upper struts from Beemer Boneyard and installed a ZTechnik Z2402 windshield with them. They seem well made and fit like a factory part.

I did notice though that the bottom flat side of both arms touches the black plastic on top of the nacelle in the full down position. I can see the side wind deflectors and my Migsel GPS mount flex just slightly as they push down on the plastic. Anyone else with these mounts notice this? Doesn't seem like it will become a long term issue, but I was slightly surprised that there was any contact. Perhaps that is the price you pay to have stronger struts that won't snap with the added air pressure generated by larger aftermarket shields.

IMHO, should have gone with Westco Tools. :dunno

Back