• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do I want an Airhead?

shakeybone

I have a 87 K100RT that I like but I have "airhead lust". I use the bike for commuting (25 mi each way) and take some day trips on weekends and possibly 1 "long" trip a year ,500mi in a day. I ride solo, but I just bought gear for my 11yo daughter. I like "vintage" motorcycles and think a 80's airhead just looks cool! I don't think I am concerned about the horse power difference, I turn 50 next month, my knee dragging days are over. I do my own work on the bike and don't mind tinkering.
So any opinions, do I want an airhead or stick with my K?

You know as well as we do, that the decision is up to you. :dunno

There are a lot of nice vintage bikes out there!

Pre Purchase Inspection

Here is something I and a couple friends have quickly put together - please add to it & publish. Kind of a pre-purchase condition checklist.

Thanks / RB

P.S. Hi Mindsok

Attachments

• R60 slash 5 inspection.doc
    38 KB · Views: 72
Here is something I and a couple friends have quickly put together - please add to it & publish. Kind of a pre-purchase condition checklist.

Thanks / RB

P.S. Hi Mindsok

Hi yourself!

I hope you're getting some riding in this summer!

Just want to say that thats a real nice check list to have along when reviewing a bike. It kinda freaks some sellers out when you start checking things off but most just go away and leave you alone.

Another neat thing to use it for is this: Every time you find something that needs repair or correction, write in the cost and then, at the end of the review, add the numbers up. That'll sure save you from jumping into a financial catastrophe, just because you like the bike and will sometimes help when negotiating a lower price!

Using the list that way caused me to walk away from a couple of decent appearing bikes but it saved me thousands in repairs and paint.

My first BMW after 8 or 10 UJMs was a 85 K100RT. I decided to replace it with a 92 K75RT after the vibration/buzz got to me and the K75 was known to be the smoothest BMW at that time. The K75 wasn't nearly as powerful as the K100 but was adequate one-up and was as smooth as glass. After a couple of years, I decided I wanted an airhead so I bought a black 86 R80RT. It didn't do anything as well as the K75 but I liked it better. After a couple of years, I decided to go back to one bike . I elected to keep the airhead and I still have it 11 or so years later. I also have a R1200CLC that I like but for a very different kind of riding. The airhead is the best bike I have ever had to carve up crooked roads while the oilhead is for Interstate type riding. I can't imagine not having the airhead. The airhead feels like it's going 80 when I am going 50 and the CLC feels like it is going 50 when I am going 80.

BE WARNED-Airheads are addictive and incurable.

I f you have to ask...

Absolutely! If ya gotta ask others if ya want something or not, then what's the point!!! Kinda like 'what color should I paint my bike'? 'What oil should I buy?' 'What helmet should I buy?' 'What gloves should I buy?'

All are subjective questions that are as personal as the choners you wear...

get one

experiance humility.enjoy the agricultural technology and lack of pretense.

Both.

But when you buy an Airhead, I'd be more weary of a low mileage one than a high mileage one. These things just don't like to sit still for years--unless of course money is no object. I think low mileage = more to get it road worthy than high mileage to make it pretty. Not in all cases, but generally I think that's true.

They're high maintenance and can be annoying at times, but their owners seem to love 'em. I like shorter hair breeds myself.

Attachments

• Irish.jpg
    Irish.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 152
I have a 87 K100RT that I like but I have "airhead lust". I use the bike for commuting (25 mi each way) and take some day trips on weekends and possibly 1 "long" trip a year ,500mi in a day. I ride solo, but I just bought gear for my 11yo daughter. I like "vintage" motorcycles and think a 80's airhead just looks cool! I don't think I am concerned about the horse power difference, I turn 50 next month, my knee dragging days are over. I do my own work on the bike and don't mind tinkering.
So any opinions, do I want an airhead or stick with my K?

Keep the K and add an R. Each is a speciality onto itself.

Have fun searching for your purrfect R.

If someone had asked me this three years ago, I would have said go ahead and get the airhead.....BUT...... BMW parts prices have risen pretty dramatically in the last few years and you are really going to get soaked on a dollars per mile basis riding an airhead. I don't think I would do it again if I had to start over. After 80,000 miles an airhead pretty much needs new or rebuilt EVERYTHING and that adds up to pretty serious change. I have now been around airheads long enough to see quite a few of these bikes, and most of them are pretty clapped out. The days of these being economical used bikes is over. It is a big monetary commitment to ride an airhead.

They're high maintenance and can be annoying at times, but their owners seem to love 'em. I like shorter hair breeds myself.

I've had my 86 R80RT for 11 years and maintenance has not been an issue or problem at all. I've spent around $200 for repairs (speedo repair, starter relay and ignition switch) plus normal oil and filter changes. It doesn't break and I do little more than change the oil and filters as well as check the valve adjustment every few years. I do all of my own work.

Might I be so bold as to suggest replacing the K with an oilhead? Airheads are remarkably capable machines considering their age. I have an R100/Ural and an R75. But I understand their limitations. THere are some very reliable airheads around that keep on running without a lot of fuss, but there are many others that have had charging system and starter transplants at great expense, in addition to the normal carb, main seal, wheel seal, steering head rebuilds.

Although you can still get most airhead parts to keep one going, more and more BMW dealers are avoiding airheads as too "old tech". So, if you intend to keep an airhead going, make friends with either a sympathetic local dealer, or a reliable online parts source. And get used to the idea that you'll need to do just about everything yourself, excluding rebuilds at specialty shops where you send in your transmission/final drive for overhaul.

I suggest an oilhead mostly to bring you up to date on technology. IMHO an R1150R has a lot of the attributes of an airhead, without the problems of being too old. An oilhead is much lighter than the K, and simpler, and easier to maintain--if you're clever enough to get one without the whizzy brake system. And certainly, the bare R1100/1150/1200 R handles much better than any airhead, and will eagerly keep up with today's traffic.

If you just can't do without an airhead, I suggest getting something that's more your "show" machine, say a 1972 R 75, or 1968 R60-- that you lovingly restore and then keep polished for those nice summer days when you just want to burble off on a quiet road.

pmdave

Back