• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Decisions- Trying to decide on Wethead accessories

collingsbob

It’s winter..so I have lot’s of time to agonize over:
- which hard cases to buy..probably the BMW Vario cases, but there seems to be issues with them..
- which GPS to buy..probably the connected ride navigator…
- crashbars..probably from BMW as Twisted Throttle has ceased operations in Canada

Last edited:
Decisions, all winter...

It sucks having these problems in the winter. This winter not so much in the Midwest USA yet since winter never really got here, too much anyway. Thank heavens for Touratech, Kriega, Wunderlich, Garmin and so many other companies and people trying to help us out with this problem.

Good Luck!!

Jerry

Have stuff shipped to John’s place and while you’re down there for the gathering we can put it on. I’m guessing John will agree.

I recommend top loading luggage. There are many good options; my long time preference is the Jesse Bag brand.

I like the idea of top loading luggage - but I’ve already spent the money for BMW to install the wiring for the new Vario luggage. Jesse bags look good, but omg expensive. I like the look of the SW-Motech Trax Ion bags, but they aren't offered - yet…price will probably force me to buy the BMW bags..hopefully they get the bugs sorted out.
All the side streets have 1/2” of ice on them..the main streets are patchy.
No riding here until at least mid-april.

I was in your place two years ago--to some extent. When I got my bike, it came with the Vario cases that the PO purchased. There are pluses and minuses to the Vario cases, Aluminum cases and soft luggage. Do your research and on the pluses and minuses of them, and how they will fit into the way you plan to use your GS. I like the look of the Vario cases the best and I like that the Vario cases are adjustable in size (In my case it's only 2, but the ones for the R1300 GS are more flexible). But, the aluminum ones are larger and a bit more sturdy. A lot of this is personal preference, so there is no right or wrong, just what works the best for you.

With regards to the protection bars, there are other options than BMW. Look at (in no particular order) Altrider, SW-Motech, Touratech, and Wunderlich.

https://www.altrider.com/product/category/filter_model/R-1300-GS/fmid/108/cid/3/filter_make/bmw

https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R1300GS/2024/GG13/products/protection/crash+bar/4052572260241.htm

https://touratech-usa.com/BMW-R1300GS-and-Adventure-Parts

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/protection.html

I was in your place two years ago--to some extent. When I got my bike, it came with the Vario cases that the PO purchased. There are pluses and minuses to the Vario cases, Aluminum cases and soft luggage. Do your research and on the pluses and minuses of them, and how they will fit into the way you plan to use your GS. I like the look of the Vario cases the best and I like that the Vario cases are adjustable in size (In my case it's only 2, but the ones for the R1300 GS are more flexible). But, the aluminum ones are larger and a bit more sturdy. A lot of this is personal preference, so there is no right or wrong, just what works the best for you.

With regards to the protection bars, there are other options than BMW. Look at (in no particular order) Altrider, SW-Motech, Touratech, and Wunderlich.

https://www.altrider.com/product/category/filter_model/R-1300-GS/fmid/108/cid/3/filter_make/bmw

https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R1300GS/2024/GG13/products/protection/crash+bar/4052572260241.htm

https://touratech-usa.com/BMW-R1300GS-and-Adventure-Parts

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/protection.html

Where the devil is the “like” button?

Have stuff shipped to John’s place and while you’re down there for the gathering we can put it on. I’m guessing John will agree.

I recommend top loading luggage. There are many good options; my long time preference is the Jesse Bag brand.

Hell Yeah - PM me for shipping info/address

It’s winter..so I have lot’s of time to agonize over:
- which hard cases to buy..probably the BMW Vario cases, but there seems to be issues with them..
- which GPS to buy..probably the connected ride navigator…
- crashbars..probably from BMW as Twisted Throttle has ceased operations in Canada

Without knowing all of what you are looking for, I added following to a 2023 R1250 GS I purchased in September (I have put 4,500 miles on it since then, but own several other bikes that get miles put on as well):
1) Touratech Lower Crash Bars (the 4 arm ones that project out past the cylinders about 1")
2) Touratech Pannier Rack (to be used with Mosko Moto Backcountry Panniers I had from the F850 GSA I sold)
3) Touratech Headlight Guard (I got the clear plexiglass lense but in hindsight probably should have gotten the wire grill)
4) Touratech Sidestand Switch Guard (vulnerable part)
5) Touratech Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir Guard (this seems to actually be one of the most vulnerable parts in a fall)
6) Touratech Bar Riser (the 25mm is all I needed)
7) Wunderlich Frame Plugs (keep some dirt out and cosmetic)
8) Wunderlich Sidestand Enlarger (I ride in places I worry about sinking a bit)
9) Black Dog Cycle Works Rear Rack Enlarger
10) Black Dog Cycle Works Pillion Rack Plate (since I do not carry passenger)
11) BMW Radiator Protective Cooling Fin Covers (the BMW plastic ones are perfectly fine and only US $70)
12) BMW TFT Display Protective Film (some note the BMW ones wash out the screen brightness, which it does, not not issue for me)
13) GS Plastic Tool Box (Amazon one for $55 and with lock and keys)
14) MachineArt Moto Rear Splash Guard (on order).
15) I have talked to dealer and will order Clearwater Erica Lights to be install during the 6,000 mile (1,000 km) service.

I cannot foresee adding anything else. Yeah, I know "Famous Last Words".

Without knowing all of what you are looking for, I added following to a 2023 R1250 GS I purchased in September (I have put 4,500 miles on it since then, but own several other bikes that get miles put on as well):
1) Touratech Lower Crash Bars (the 4 arm ones that project out past the cylinders about 1")
2) Touratech Pannier Rack (to be used with Mosko Moto Backcountry Panniers I had from the F850 GSA I sold)
3) Touratech Headlight Guard (I got the clear plexiglass lense but in hindsight probably should have gotten the wire grill)
4) Touratech Sidestand Switch Guard (vulnerable part)
5) Touratech Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir Guard (this seems to actually be one of the most vulnerable parts in a fall)
6) Touratech Bar Riser (the 25mm is all I needed)
7) Wunderlich Frame Plugs (keep some dirt out and cosmetic)
8) Wunderlich Sidestand Enlarger (I ride in places I worry about sinking a bit)
9) Black Dog Cycle Works Rear Rack Enlarger
10) Black Dog Cycle Works Pillion Rack Plate (since I do not carry passenger)
11) BMW Radiator Protective Cooling Fin Covers (the BMW plastic ones are perfectly fine and only US $70)
12) BMW TFT Display Protective Film (some note the BMW ones wash out the screen brightness, which it does, not not issue for me)
13) GS Plastic Tool Box (Amazon one for $55 and with lock and keys)
14) MachineArt Moto Rear Splash Guard (on order).
15) I have talked to dealer and will order Clearwater Erica Lights to be install during the 6,000 mile (1,000 km) service.

I cannot foresee adding anything else. Yeah, I know "Famous Last Words".

Holy crap - thanks for sharing!

If at all possible get crash bars that allow the valve covers to be removed while the bars are in place. Will save you time every time you check the valves.

If at all possible get crash bars that allow the valve covers to be removed while the bars are in place. Will save you time every time you check the valves.

I have to ask do you have a preference?

I was all excited on my 17.5 GS and had the BMW bars installed. They are fine especially with the Alt Rider support bars on them.

However I HATE having to take them off for service. I am to the point where I want ones you do not have to remove.

Do you have a recommendation?

TIA

I have to ask do you have a preference?

I was all excited on my 17.5 GS and had the BMW bars installed. They are fine especially with the Alt Rider support bars on them.

However I HATE having to take them off for service. I am to the point where I want ones you do not have to remove.

Do you have a recommendation?

TIA

Annie has AltRider crash bars on her 17 R12GS. They allow for removal of the valve covers while the bars are installed. They are very heavy duty and priced accordingly, unfortunately.

Back