• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zipper incompability - 1991 R100GS baseplate and Multivario bag

ohiorider

A few years ago, I was fortunate to find a new-old-stock (NOS) MultiVario tank bag to replace the 20 year old one I'd ridden with forever. My old tank bag is badly faded, and the bag's zippers are worn out. Unfortunately, none of the zippers on either of my existing base plates (I have two plates) were compatible with the zippers on the new bag. The base plate zippers appear to have smaller teeth (more teeth per inch.)

I've tried to locate someone locally who can replace the zipper on the base plate with one compatible with the zipper on the Multivario bag, but have had zero success doing so.

The only possible solution so far appears to be replacing the zippers on both the base plate AND the bag. As a last resort I'd do this, but since the bag is essentially new, I really prefer not to undo the nice factory zipper.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and found a workable solution?

The old GS Bumblebee, for all her 138,000 miles, still looks quite nice when cleaned up, and I would like to be able to keep her decked out in a matching black and yellow OEM bag.

Bob

Last edited:
I debated switching zippers from one bag to the other but the shoe repair shop that does this type of repair for me wanted $100.00 Ouch! :deal

I have four BMW tank bags (had a fifth once) and the all the zippers look so similar, but none of the zippers from any bag are interchangeable. :banghead

multi vario tank bags

Hi, over about 30 years ,I have had 5 different multi vario tank bags, and none of them were inter changeable with the next zipper wise,various parts would wear out due to lots of use,and being over stuffed at times, what I did was to pick my favourite base and pop riveted my best bag onto it, therefore doing away with the zipping off and on funcion,I now have 2 bags one large one for long trips ,and a smaller one for short trips ,(I like tank bags) one I slipped a web type strap under the tank to hold it on ,when gassing up I just loosen the strap and pull it back to remove the fuel cap to fill up,see photo on page 179 (I think) on airhead photos,has worked great for years,now you may have a better way of joining the two,than popriveting,hope this assists ,Jimmy

Hi, over about 30 years ,I have had 5 different multi vario tank bags, and none of them were inter changeable with the next zipper wise,various parts would wear out due to lots of use,and being over stuffed at times, what I did was to pick my favourite base and pop riveted my best bag onto it, therefore doing away with the zipping off and on funcion,I now have 2 bags one large one for long trips ,and a smaller one for short trips ,(I like tank bags) one I slipped a web type strap under the tank to hold it on ,when gassing up I just loosen the strap and pull it back to remove the fuel cap to fill up,see photo on page 179 (I think) on airhead photos,has worked great for years,now you may have a better way of joining the two,than popriveting,hope this assists ,Jimmy
I've had similar thoughts, ie, having snaps installed in the base plate with matching snaps installed in the bottom of the tank bag. Or having some steel plates placed in the bottom of the tank bag and 3-4 powerful magnets sewn to the top of the base mount.

But I'd really like to find a zipper that matches the zip on the 'new' tankbag.

And I, too, like tank bags.

Bob I hear ye! I just have the base plate on my lap to fix it for the season. On mine the elastic straps are falling apart. But I do have a good zipper. :blah

There were two Multivarios for the GS: Mutlivario 3 (with red stripe) and Multivario 95 (all black). On my base plate the part number is 72 60 2 340 657 and it is a "95". The base plates are not interchangeable between the "3" and the "95" (or even older "1" and "2" (yellow stripe)). Now that wasn't helpful. :huh

Replacing the zipper on the base plate doesn't look too complicated. But when I asked my shoe repair guy who did all kind of fixes on my hiking boots he refused to work on the base plate. He said this non-leather material does not work with his machines. :scratch

Luckily like you I found a NOS I ordered from Germany a few years ago ($225 w/o shipping). Seems like you can still order a complete "95" from Motobins in the UK. ($$$)

If you know which bag type you have you may find a matching base plate for a K-bike and you can salvage the zipper for your bag.

/Guenther

I had the same problem with my K100 and went to a local taylor who swapped the zippers. I don't remember what he charged but it was not very expensive. I first went to a shoe repair man who said he couldn't do it.

Back