• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'You are being programmed,' former Facebook executive warns

Since I don't use it, I can't comment on Facebook. However, there's demonstrated proof that continual Twitter-use causes persistent brain damage.

Since I don't use it, I can't comment on Facebook. However, there's demonstrated proof that continual Twitter-use causes persistent brain damage.

Though I voted for the man we're officially not talking about, I thought your comment was funny.

Good one! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Though I voted for the man we're officially not talking about, I thought your comment was funny.

Good one! :laugh:laugh:laugh

George Wills got in a good smack on the person we are not talking about when he said that the unnamed person had an advantage over him in using Twitter because he was able to say everything he knew about a topic in 160 characters.

George Wills got in a good smack on the person we are not talking about when he said that the unnamed person had an advantage over him in using Twitter because he was able to say everything he knew about a topic in 160 characters.

Also a good one. :dance

What George Wills missed is Twitter's power to cut through media filters and communicate a message directly to the targeted recipient.

But over the years, the unavoidable human nature to worship one self takes over, and facebook gets used as a place to vent our frustrations.

Hundreds of hours in focus groups and analysis tells me that this (in the form of exhibitionism) has been a primary motivation to participate in social media since its inception as newsgroups. Another primary motivation is altruism and the desire to foster the community.

The reason that forums became popular in 2000-2001 they allowed two things that the prior medium of choice (e-mail listserves) did not: embedding of images into posts and threaded discussions that facilitated actual conversation. This enabled a level of exhibitionism never before possible.

Exhibitionism became even more convenient with modern social media... no photo hosting required to put pictures in your post, no BB code... and discussion about all your various interests in one place.

Social media are killing forums because they're more convenience to have interactions. I notice that when it comes to this discussion over the years, it's the same 10-15 people here who rail against the inevitable.

A better approach, imo, would be to acknowledge that each vehicle has its place & strengths. Our focus should be on figuring out a way to get them working together in the interest of attracting new members.

Ian

A proud member of the 10-15 here:wave

I barely have time for one forum and do not need the instant coffee brand of interaction or "likes" to make my life fulfilled.I spend the majority of most days outdoors and often with phone tucked away to enjoy the day.
I participated in several focus groups in a former life...time I never got back as the info and opinions never seemed to change policies or procedures.

Also, get really pissed to view an online site only to be barraged by email ads and sidebar banner ads with same product or similar interests chosen for me. I do not need to be herded, some may. I like the convenience of Amazon, but they wear me out with daily suggestions .I left a tire in a cart last week on a site that assimilated a long time vendor and have been reminded daily since. It is an aggravation in my world.

I will say, the two styles can work together and probably can in some form, but they provide two different experiences and I will stick with the old school one.
My adult children accept my choices and that's all I really need to know.

Social media are killing forums because they're more convenience to have interactions. I notice that when it comes to this discussion over the years, it's the same 10-15 people here who rail against the inevitable.

Ian

Some people don't even realize how silly they seem when they write or say, "I hate Facebook. I've never been on it." :scratch

I don't have any "social media" account unless you count this Forum. I don't carry a cell phone. Voni uses Facebook and has a cell phone. I borrow the phone occasionally. But because she uses Facebook we find out things about people, and places, and events that we otherwise would not know about.

To a considerable degree social media usage depends upon the degree to which individuals have an addictive personality or propensity to addiction. I put Facebook abuse in the same category as opioid addiction and alcoholism. YMMV

I will say, the two styles can work together and probably can in some form, but they provide two different experiences and I will stick with the old school one.

You're missing my point, but that's ok... I've made it a million times before and nothing changes.

This forum is social media. Facebook is social media.

A *lot* of people use both... for various reasons. What we (as in the MOA) fail to do is get the two working together to create new members for the MOA.

Instead we grouse about one or the other, based on our own personal preferences. :banghead

Well said Steve. I have an image in my mind of you writing this on your Commodore 64. 🤣

:lol
Coffee on tablet moment.
I was the last manager to get a PC back in the DOS days. I was outdoors more then as well than my peers. The first time I was tasked with creating an unneeded spreadsheet, I handed it off to my tech guy. My keyboard had all those cheatsheet color codes and I still never got it.
Participating here was my first experience with online interactions and I took some of the banter personally at first. I try to walk away and not feel the need like I did early on. I prefer seeing your eyes and facial expressions if possible

H uses FB, but not a daily fix. It does allow for family updates and an occasional chuckle. I do not consider myself a hater , rather a skeptic of what is really being used with all that data...and thinking "go figure" when reading the OP.

Seeing tables of people at a restaurant looking at their phones and not each other is a head scratcher at times...even if they are playing Words with Friends.Why are we here?:stick

You're missing my point, but that's ok... I've made it a million times before and nothing changes.

This forum is social media. Facebook is social media.

A *lot* of people use both... for various reasons. What we (as in the MOA) fail to do is get the two working together to create new members for the MOA.

Instead we grouse about one or the other, based on our own personal preferences. :banghead

I get it, though I still believe there are two different groups of users.

It is what you do for a living, so different perspective than I have and that's OK

an example of attempted herding in my email sidebar today.I have NOT shopped for bicycle items recently, though I do ride:scratch

Not a fan of this type of marketing

9907692903188248788.jpg

an example of attempted herding in my email sidebar today.I have NOT shopped for bicycle items recently, though I do ride:scratch

Not a fan of this type of marketing

View attachment 65435

I occasionally mess with them. I'll look for something totally unrelated to any interest I have just to see how soon a related ad pops up on my computer. The quickest was the next screen refresh. I think everybody should look at odd stuff they have no interest in and do so frequently just to screw with the system. I think I will go look for seed corn right now. I will report back on the corn ads I get. :)

Orwell wrote a book about it.

Hardly. I think any form of individual communication, such as Twitter, is the antithesis of the world he wrote about. A more apt current example of an Orwellian world is the use of “news” organizations that exist to convey approved information.

Honestly, worrying about Facebook data logging is a rather pointless tempest in a teapot until you accept that the web, as a whole, is a front in an on going information war between countries and non-state actors. Coordinating an a weekly event to honor veterans is pointless, if you're channeling in-vetted information (i.e., birther theories) or dismissing the findings of intelligence agencies when they present you with evidence of a state ordered cyber attack. Honoring those veterans while you're making yourself defenseless to cyber attacks is a bit like having a memorial service on the field, while the battle is being fought and wondering why the enemy is winning the battle.

This is serious stuff and Visian's comment about a targeted message has to be viewed from the perspective of a "targeted attack".

So, yell and scream about Facebook all you want, but don't forget to support the folks in our intelligence and cyber defense communities that are trying to protect us from a lot of people and countries that aren't our friends.

Back