• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Women of the MOA

This is Deb - I bought the gloves Sue is referring to after I tried on Sioux's at the RA Rally. She had just bought them and they fit me like a glove should. I wear a size 6.

The gloves are made by HELD and they are a gortex glove with X-TRAFIT technology. I've only had them for 6 weeks and with recovering from my broken left arm, I've not been doing a lot of riding. They did fine leaving in the rain from the RA Rally in WV and when it got cold from Dumas, TX to Raton, NM. They are soft, cinch up around the wrist and have reflective tape.

Gloves are a personal item and really make a difference during the ride. I've found when I find something that fits, I wear it until I need another pair and usually I buy a second pair when I buy the first pair. The HELD's were pricey, so I only got 1 pair.

Thanks for posting this, Deb. :)

Held gloves....yummy. Soft, comfy....mmmmmmm..... The ones I have a perfect for summer; butter soft leather, with some protective type padding on the top of the hand. Probably not the best in a fall, but perfect for my short commute to/from work.

I also got a pair of Lee Parks gloves. I use these when the temps are lower, but above 40F. Lined gauntlet style. They will also adjust the length of the finger for you, should you need that. Mine fit fine, spouse had to have his glove fingers shortened.

I don't see a women's forum as being sexist in any way and I don't think it would exclude any of the men who post on this forum. However, I do think there is a place for it. In this one thread, we have discussions taking place over

1.) is a seperate area needed/wanted?
2.) the challenges of women riding solo.
3.) finding gloves to fit us

This proves to me that it would be a valuable addition to the overall forum. I don't see it at segregation. Additionally, women are more often willing to discuss their issues with other women and often appreciate another woman's feedback.

WasnÔÇÖt there an issue when a small group wanted a closed forum section
As was mentioned above, there's no technical way to prevent people of either gender from participating in such a forum area. It would not be "closed" to the rest of the membership. I don't understand why people think they will be left out of anything. It's just another forum area we're talking about.

Just as with other forum areas that have been created, there has to be a need or significant show of interest. Someone or several someones would have to champion the idea and make a proposal. Proposed moderators would have to volunteer.

This is like the Photography area or even like TotS was (in terms of how it comes into being and how it is run).

I think it's a good idea! More women might post on the forum. I've been lurking for about 8 years and have rarely posted.

Georgia

Welcome. Glad to read your post. Today I visited the Regional/Northeast forum because I'm planning a ride out that way next week. I was on Chartered club to promote our Wisconsin Club Rally in Wisconsin Dells this weekend. I'm often posting in Photography and go to hexheads almost every day. I don't go to the other model-specific threads as they don't interest me. If I did choose to post there, I'm confident I'd be welcome. I often go to New Members forum.
Jump in here and other forums anytime you wish. Your opinion and interest is very welcome.

But is this going to be an all woman area ? Is this the design of it ? I thought this was Womanridge proposal and idea or is it yours now ?

As my name was mentioned, I feel it's appropriate to respond. If you review my initial post and again my post #33, you will see it has been my intent that this be open to all members. I'm not sure where this "women only" idea is coming from other than from those that have not understood the intent of this thread.:dunno
Thank you and have a nice evening.

Why would women want to come into the house dominated by a bunch of opinionated grumpy old men?:p

Change is in the air, boys!

Change for the better, IMHO, that is!

I don't think they need much help figuring out how to make this happen. Just set back and watch and help when asked. No need to offer they got this figured out pretty well on their own.

Why don't you guys take it to another thread and let the ladies continue with the original thread...

jeez....

:snore

Holy Cow!

I haven't visited the forum for a week or so and GEEZ! I can't stand it! I'm feeling like some people don't want women to have a section in the forum because somehow we're "equal" (the quotes mean that yes, we're equal but at the same time we only make 79 cents vs. a guy's $1... as an example) so we don't need to network/exchange ideas/have questions & answers that are female specific (specific does not mean exclusionary).

My perception of the original idea was that it was like the model specific sections - everyone is free to join in and contribute but there is an umbrella topic (hexheads, airheads, K bikes, gear, new members...etc) I mean, how many men have the issue of how to pee in a one piece Aerostich? (do you really want the top of the suit to lie on a bathroom floor?) and that is something I would not bring up in another section!

I have not read anyone's post that says this is ONLY for women! But we ARE different from men, so it seems to follow that we would have some different things to say/ask/bitch about...

(Sigh... I hope I'm making some kind of sense! :scratch

Deb, thanks for the info on the Held gloves... I'm still trying to find a pair that works for me (after 9 years!)

Why don't you guys take it to another thread and let the ladies continue with the original thread...

jeez....

:snore

I have not read anyone's post that says this is ONLY for women! But we ARE different from men, so it seems to follow that we would have some different things to say/ask/bitch about...

How right you are ladies. :thumb

I think it's a good idea! More women might post on the forum. I've been lurking for about 8 years and have rarely posted.

Georgia

And, SunRider711 your post is all it took to convince me that the new forum area is needed!

Thanks for daring. I remember feeling that way myself many moons ago . . .

Voni
sMiling at the Colorado National Monument this morning

new thread started.

To not confuse the issues, i have started a new thread, What criteria should the BMW MOA forum use for adding a new forum? here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=39513

Anyone who would like to discuss the generalities of how and why a forum should be added can do so there.

Let's do the original oster the courtesy of keeping this thread on the track of the original post.

Bump

Good morning, I have fond memories of Voni Glave's "Women Rider's" seminar at the National this year. It seems the only thing that caused it to come to an end was the clock, as so many had something to say or share. I was inspired by the enthusiasm. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread to continue that dialog? Discussing anything from benifits of riding alone or as pillion, experiences and special concerns of women riders and clothing designed for women riders, would only be some of the subjects to share. This is open to anyone, not just women. This is not a poll, simply a thread or "Room" for discussion and or advice. What do you think?

Let's try this again,....Ladies?

Good post. And with that thought; Anyone thinking of going to the Dells Rally this weekend will have the opportunity to join in on a panel discussion called "Women Who Ride". 2:00 p.m. Saturday. This is open to anyone!!! The panel will consist of some Notable women and even I've been invited.:thumb
Should be fun. Hope you can make it, Sudani

"Hope you can make it, Sudani"

That is doable! It will be nice to meet you and all the other ladies who ride. (or in my case, putz my way along while enjoying every minute of it!) :laugh

I do have a question about heated gear. I'm considering a Tour Master Synergy Heated Jacket Liner. With no additional cost for controllers, I'm thinking for as little riding as I'll do in cold weather...this may be the way to go. Has anyone experienced the Tour Master heated liner? Is it as good as a Gerbing's liner? What about sizing? Just how accurate are the size charts once you get the liner home?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think that a women's specific forum might help sensitize us guys to what issues our wives/significant others are coping with but might not always feel comfortable sharing with us.

I know guys can sometimes have that "come on , suck it up and let's go" attitude that
doesn't always lead to good communication.

Sometimes a woman feels that an issue is unique to her and she'll just have to deal with it, when in fact many have the same issue and someone else has found a way that works well that can be shared. (A lot of husband/ boyfriends aren't good at "sharing" unless it involves hardware, farkles , or tires).

I say do the new forum so we can all learn!:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

An Irresistible Force

It is evident to me that the idea of a sub-forum dedicated to the riding related issues of women is going to happen. Consider the MOA Forum as a family. What happens in a family when all the women in the family decide on a course of action? When the mother, wife, aunt, daughters and grandmother of a family all unite they constitute an irresistible force. That is what we have here. I for one expect that I will learn a great deal by reading the posts. The women who regularly post here, or are lurkers, range in skill and experience from novice to grandmaster. Everyone will learn, and it will allow issues to be discussed that might otherwise be neglected. Just do it.

Back