• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wiring GPS cable to F 700 - Please help?

activehybrid

Hello everybody!

I recently purchased Tomtom Rider 400 which comes with a cable to wire with battery however there's no instruction provided. I googled, searched , watched couple of installation videos however I can't find specific installation to directly connect red and black cable to the battery.

Do I need to purchase an additional wire/cable ? Please tell me if anyone did this on his own?

Thanks for the answers!

You have options:

Wire straight to the battery. Red to positive, but you'll need to add an inline fuse (3amp). If you do it this way the GPS will stay on when you turn the bike off and if you forget and leave it on you can run the battery down in a day or so.

Add a relay to the circuit so the GPS turns off when the key is off.

Install a fuse block, with or without a rely.

It sounds like you are not overly familiar with wiring, so perhaps you should get hands on help or go with option one.

Be careful when attaching the Ram ball to the TomTom mount. There are two ways to do it. Screw a threaded ball into the hole on the mount, or use four small bolts to attach a ball on a plate to some nuts embedded in the plastic. The four small bolts have been known to pull out of the mount. I recommend screwing the threaded ball into the mount.

Another option would be to get the cable with a connector that connects directly to the socket on the bike. Then it will shut off after the bike is turned off.

Since direct connect is about a 10 minute job you might post your location and a member might be happy to come over and help/teach.

Back