• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winterizing question re: battery & abs

E

ekuck67

I'd like to get some opinions on putting a bike up for the winter. Specifically, I'm interested in whether removing the battery and leaving it on a tender inside a warm basement vs leaving it hooked up and on a tender in an unheated garage over the winter is better. Common sense would seem to indicate taking it inside. However, my concern is over the abs system. Will there be any adverse effects from leaving the system without any charge for so long? I ask because of the fact that a less than optimally charged battery can sometimes affect the proper functioning of the abs. That is until the battery recharges. Hence, my quandry... Also any thoughts on fuel stabilizers (in general) and any personal preferences would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Regards,
Eric

wintertemp.jpg

Have stored my bikes in an unheated shed for several months during the winter season.

Have StaBil in tank and battery tender on battery. If a lead acid battery be sure electrolyte is at proper level.

Bikes always started just fine in spring.

If you use a cover for the bike be sure there is plenty of ventilation in case there is out gassing from the battery, if it is lead acid.

And, don't forget the naphthalene to keep the rodents away.

Last edited:
Or you could just ride it once or twice a month. :D

IMO leave it in on a battery tender, stabil in a full tank, a good coat of wax on any paint. I use s100 corrosion protectant on metal surfaces including cases and valve covers (do not use WD40) over the winter riding or not. Cover it all with an old cotton sheet (Something that breathes) and it will kick right over when you are ready in the spring or on that warm day that comes every winter when you wish you could ride. :bikes

Use gas stabilizer if it make you feel better. But, depending on your geographical locale, winter weather has very little effect on gasoline. I have been riding for 35 years in Wisconsin and I have never used gas stabilizer in any of my bikes, ever. I always fill the tank right to the top when I know for certain I will store the bike away. Hotter climates, like the southern states and the southwest actually have far more effect on gas degradation than does the northern winter climates. Gas evaporation is the real problem, and that occurs much more in warmer climates than winter climates.

If it is in an attached garage, its probably just fine to leave the battery in the bike and plugged into a good quality battery tender of the right type for your battery. Same for the bike being in the basement.

If stored outside in a shed, I prefer to remove the battery and store it in my basement. I also plug the intake with a rag, and tape off the exhaust with duct tape, both to keep the critters out. Block the bike up on the centerstand to keep the tires off the surface.

A dormant bike has NO effect whatsoever on the ABS system, as there is no active memory to maintain with battery power. The ABS system requires no battery power to maintain itself. It can sit for years on end with no detrimental effect on the ABS.

Battery chemistry is such that a warm battery is more chemically active than a cold battery. Self discharge will be lower and battery life is usually better if it is stored in a cool place instead of a warm place.

Freezing is a potential problem but the electrolyte in a wet lead acid battery won't freeze at U.S. winter temperatures if the charge is maintained above about 50%. Certainly with an automatic charger attached to the battery in the bike it won't freeze. I have not seen the data on some of the AGM batteries or the Exide Gel (BMW) battery but I am pretty sure it is similar.

We store 4 bikes in an unheated shop in Kansas while we ride around Texas and thereabouts in the winter. Each bike is attached to an automatic battery charger. Two of those bikes have the Exide Gel battery, two have traditional wet lead acid batteries.

I personally think the best place to store a bike is in an unheated or barely heated attached garage where it might be zero outside by about 45 F in the garage. Cool enough not to be chemically a problem but warm enough to never freeze. But if your storage is truly unheated then just keep it charged and cold storage isn't a problem.

Many thanks to all!

Thanks for the info. I had to smile about the "keeping the critters out" advice. My nephew, who rides a '77 r100, learned the hard way when he pulled out a football sized nest from his air intake housing after last winter. I hadn't used stabilizer in the past, but I'm going to start. Anything to keep Murphy at bay. Mongo, I will DEFINITELY ride it during the winter on those clear road days (thanks for the protectant recommendation)! My old airhead loved the cold, I'm sure this one will be no different.
Paul B can attest to my riding in the snow, albeit like a scared little girl. I'm still amazed that I made it all the way in on that unplowed road to the golfcourse (two years ago, maybe?). I'll tell the girls and the Gutter Snipe you're still at it - maybe I can convince him to get back on two wheels...
Andy and Paul G thanks for the info about the gas, ABS and battery concerns as well. Makes perfect sense.
And Alex, I will take your advice on the Brillo. As a side note, the link to your touring on a budget discussion is great. We did a small tour around the Mosel and Rhein river valleys this past spring. We're fairly frugal travelers and your tips are well appreciated. Unfortunately, with the girls (who are die hard "cagers"), I was stuck behind a steering wheel the entire time. Outstanding scenery and attractions, though. I would highly recommend the Nurburg Ring to anyone visiting that area. Bikers were all over and most, if not all, of the local lodgings and restaurants were very biker friendly. If I couldn't get my fix on a bike, I figured the next best thing was to bug as many of them as possible about their rides! Again, thanks to all of you for your advice.

Regards,
Eric

Battery maintenance

I have an R1100RT with a BMW Gel battery (replaced in May of this year) in an unheated garage (OK, it's in California so it's not going to get too cold in there...) with the BMW battery tender hooked up via accessory port on dash. My question is:
Should I remove the seats while it's sitting there plugged in to maintain the charge? I don't know if the Gel battery will off-gas like a traditional battery while charging. If so, I presume that it's better to keep it more exposed to air than enclosed as it would be on my RT with the Tupperware sides and the seats in place.

I await the learned answers of the brain trust!

The gel battery is a sealed battery. You don't have to worry about out gassing. Good luck with "California" winter. There is a bit more challenge here but I think I prefer the snow to the Santa Anna winds.

snowblower.jpg

My question is:
Should I remove the seats while it's sitting there plugged in to maintain the charge?
No. If the battery is sealed, it requires no special ventilation as hydrogen gas is not liberated during charging. If venting is required, there will be a small nipple along the upper edge of the battery case for connection to a flexible vent tube which should be led downward near the rear brake MC.

Paul

Having a good friend that was a chemical engineer for Amoco in Naperville, IL you DO NEED to add an additive to the fuel, especially any fuel with ethanol in it. It's got a shelf life of about 60-90 days before it starts breaking down. They don't put the additive in automotive gas like aviation fuel which has lots of them to keep it stable for MANY years. Fuel is a BIT more of a priority for aircraft.....Can't just coast to the curb.....

Last edited:
Back