• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter tune up, now a new noise, help?!

Ubertino

I did my valve adjustment since I didn't have a chance when I parked my '96 R100R with 52k in his garage. Went down there to do it today, and when I was done I turned the engine over, to charge the battery and move some fluids.

New noise.

On the right side jug, I get a air wooshing noise that is a louder version of what I hear when I'm turning the crank for tdc and the plugs are still in. Almost like an air compressor. Engine runs fine, stalled once when I took the idle down but it wasn't really warm. I'm thinking that either I didn't get the intake valves quite right, or something else.

This is a boxer though, and after 12k on the bike, I'm still learning the noises that it makes.

Help! Is this normal, should I be re-checking my clearances (my first idea) or does somebody out there have some experience with this and knows that it's a different problem?

Thanks MOA!

Hardly any, just a tad of a turn, and that's a small tad. I usually find that my intake valves need a bit of adjusting, not much, and the exhaust ones are usually about perfect.

Since it's easy to do, and doesn't require much work, I'm thinking that in a few days, next time I go over, I'll take the cover off and see what I can see.

Any other thoughts?

By the way Anton, great website, very informative.

When I did the valve distances, I did it like on my car- get it so it drags, but not much, go to the next size up feeler, it shouldn't get in. If it does, too much space. And then carefully tighten the nut, checking the gap after tightening to make sure the spacing is right.

Just figured out that it was the little rubber thingie in the spark plug area wasn't seated right, so there was a little hole. Cleaned and re-seated, and now the noise appears to be gone.

Joy!

Thanks guys!

Back