• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why aren't users encouraged to complete their profile?

R

RTFlyer

I'm just sayin...

I post on a few other boards (not MC related) and they encourage people to at least provide real names and locations by city. I know people enjoy their privacy, but I have never had one repurcussion from doing so. I certainly understand if someone doesn't want to list their occupation, email address, street adress, or even more private stuff, but why not have a real name somewhere (even if just in the profile where other members can see it), and let us know what state you're in???

Someone here could be right across the street and I'd never know it.

Larry,

How would you suggest that be done?

Like I said, encourage it. Maybe in the posting guidelines?

On the other board, someone will usually pipe up and ask them to fill out their profile in order to expect suggestions/advice since it is in their posting guidelines. You have to register in order to post right? You could also place it as required info in order to register?

It's just a suggestion. I'm a newbie here. I don't want to ruffle any feathers.:wave Maybe people have good reasons to remain completely anonymous.

Would this be more appropriate in the "Online Central" area? I honestly never noticed it before today.

How about a "courteous things to do on the forum" sticky in the introduction forum?

Fill out your profile
Talk about bikes
Tell folks about yourself
Meet folks in the regional forums.
Tech info in the tech forums

what's a thread?
what's a post?
How do I post a photo?
What's an avatar?
What's a sig?

Some of this could just be links to existing information here on the forum.

The information and request is there, direct quote from the sticky by Darryl.

The people are A) not reading the sticky B) not wanting to provide the information.

I agree with you - the minimal information should be there not only to provide some identity to the member but also if they have a technical question it is so much easier to address, I don't know how many posts I see with others and myself sometimes having to ask what type of bike.

Short of making it a required field, I really don't know how this would be able addressed.

The quote from the sticky is below

Welcome, New Forum Users!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the BMW MOA forum. We'd like to help you get started on the right foot in the forums.

Here's a little checklist of things you can do right away that will get you into the swing of things:

Fill out your Profile
Read the Posting Guidelines
Post a short introduction here

By filling out your profile, you make it possible for other members to help you out. Especially useful is supplying your location (eg, city and state). This will help responders know what resources, like dealers, vendors and events might be near enough to you to be worth suggesting. If you add your bike(s) to your signature, then it will help when you need to know something about them. You can access all of these features by clicking on the UserCP link located at the top left of every forum page.

Offer to give people a pin if the complete the profile. It seams like people want/need/owed one when they join right.... :brow

Yes let's offer a pin!That should really get things stirred up again. This is one of the first times I've laughed out loud at a post.
:stick :newtoy :jester :rocker :jawdrop

Yes let's offer a pin!That should really get things stirred up again. This is one of the first times I've laughed out loud at a post.
:stick :newtoy :jester :rocker :jawdrop

That did make me chuckle. What I have done in past is if I see a post with no profile info (generally I'm looking at the sig line or custom user title) I'll reply to the thread and suggest filling it out. Sticky guidelines are a good idea. :thumb

The sticky Guidelines already exist in the welcome section as outlined above by Semper Fi. The problem is that most folks (including myself) don't spend as much time reading the stickys as maybe they should. We are working on a couple of ideas to try to draw more attention and encourage folks.

OK, my bad Steve. They exist.
In some big box items (and even some small box items, they can sometimes be pricier than those big box items, wow! But I digress) is always tons of documentation. Usually there is a manual, pamphlet or envelope that is marked READ THIS FIRST.

But that might be taken badly for us non-conformists. :ha

Some people kind of like their anonymity. Some don't care. Some people don't appreciate or understand the benefits of putting info in their profile. For example, if you at least put in your general geographic location, you may generate interest or PM's from others in your area. If you list your bikes in your signature, as many do, that also can generate posts and interest from other posters.

Now that we have a "new members" forum, perhaps more will put meaningful info in their profile.

Back