• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where did the light bulb go?

Artiee

R1200RT
Today, I had to swap out my right low beam bulb. While undertaking this torturous task, the old bulb slipped from my fingertips and dropped somewhere.

I heard it rattle off a few other objects and it sounded like it landed in some obscure nook or cranny. However, without tearing my motorcycle apart, IÔÇÖve been unable to locate just where it went. Even though it didnÔÇÖt sound like a light bulb landing on the driveway when it came to rest, I searched the ground around the motorcycle very thoroughly and the bulb was not on the ground. IÔÇÖm convinced itÔÇÖs hiding somewhere on the motorcycle.

So for those of you who are more thoroughly familiar with every nook and cranny, just where might this errant bulb be hanging out?

:dunno

I performed a similar drop last week. Using a good flashlight I spotted the metal base of the bulb in a nook directly below the opening in the back of the lamp housing. It took a pair of needlenose pliers to extract the bulb. What an ordeal!

Magnet;

Those little magnet tools are handy too, sometimes. You know the ones that extend out, with a tiny magnet tip. I've used these, reaching into dark unseen places on my cars and bikes:). Randy:usa

Today, I had to swap out my right low beam bulb. While undertaking this torturous task, the old bulb slipped from my fingertips and dropped…… somewhere.

I heard it rattle off a few other objects and it sounded like it landed in some obscure nook or cranny. However, without tearing my motorcycle apart, I’ve been unable to locate just where it went. Even though it didn’t sound like a light bulb landing on the driveway when it came to rest, I searched the ground around the motorcycle very thoroughly and the bulb was not on the ground. I’m convinced it’s hiding somewhere on the motorcycle.

So for those of you who are more thoroughly familiar with every nook and cranny, just where might this errant bulb be hanging out?

:dunno

Been there - done that. There is a trough beneath the area where you install a new bulb, and if not careful, it can drop in there. Learned that the hard way, but had a 'McGill Foreceps' left over from my ambulance attendant days, which is sort of a needle-nose with a 90 degree bend. That allowed me easy retrieval of the loose bulb.

I now grasp my bulbs with a $5 flexible tool from the auto store that expands a set of claws, and then grabs the base of the bulb - then I retract it from the housing.

Works slick, and no dropped bulbs since.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Don't know where it went but if you find it, the tools, hardware I lost throughout the years should be right next to it. Please mail these items to me. :whistle

Thanks

Well;

If your seat heats up and you have no heated seat, its your bulb:). Sorry, couldn't help myself:). Randy:dance:usa

Back