• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I get a replacement battery for my Nav V ?

Garmin stuff is hot garbage. Their software is a relic of the 90s - at best - and they can't seem to fix any of their issues with touch screens, even though they've been selling them for 20 years. In 2006, my 2610 had screen delimaniation and "phantom touch" issues, which persist to the current tech.

Nein Danke GarminSchrott.

Garmin ships all their Nav units with the battery removed, presumably so the battery will likely have at least some charge between when the unit is manufactured and when it finally ends up in a customer's hands.

Sounds like Garmin is a stand-up company covering so many of the problems/trouble I read here on the forum.
OM

Garmin stuff is hot garbage. Their software is a relic of the 90s - at best - and they can't seem to fix any of their issues with touch screens, even though they've been selling them for 20 years. In 2006, my 2610 had screen delimaniation and "phantom touch" issues, which persist to the current tech.

Nein Danke GarminSchrott.
Well, lets look at that statement for a minute. My Nav 4 which came with the 12GS [ bought in 2017 ] was, and remains flawless in operation since then. My Nav5 I got with the used 16RS has and remains flawless in operation since 2018 [ 2013 battery ]. The battery issues with the Nav5 aren't creating a situation where I can't plug in Prudhoe Bay from Arizona and in 10 days arrive there without any issues, just like the Nav4 performed on a trip and back there in 2018..

When I wanted a spare Nav for the road trips, I picked up another Nav5 as I'm not willing to trust their Nav6's as far as I might be able to throw it. My Garmins aren't hot garbage. They've taken me flawlessly to Mexico, Canada and most of the western states of the US on bi annual tours. Oh, and that suggests their software works just fine in the 3 units I have and continue to use.

Other Garmin products like the Zumoxt and xt2 have been [ from my readings of people using them in lieu of Nav6's ] have had good reviews/reports. Garmin may have mucked it up with the Nav 6 and likely the Na5 battery drainage even when off, but they aren't hot garbage either.

Last edited:
Well, lets look at that statement for a minute. My Nav 4 which came with the 12GS [ bought in 2017 ] was, and remains flawless in operation since then. My Nav5 I got with the used 16RS has and remains flawless in operation since 2018 [ 2013 battery ]. The battery issues with the Nav5 aren't creating a situation where I can't plug in Prudhoe Bay from Arizona and in 10 days arrive there without any issues, just like the Nav4 performed on a trip and back there in 2018..

When I wanted a spare Nav for the road trips, I picked up another Nav5 as I'm not willing to trust their Nav6's as far as I might be able to throw it. My Garmins aren't hot garbage. They've taken me flawlessly to Mexico, Canada and most of the western states of the US on bi annual tours. Oh, and that suggests their software works just fine in the 3 units I have and continue to use.

Other Garmin products like the Zumoxt and xt2 have been [ from my readings of people using them in lieu of Nav6's ] have had good reviews/reports. Garmin may have mucked it up with the Nav 6 and likely the Na5 battery drainage even when off, but they aren't hot garbage either.
If I might, I'd venture that feeling like you need to have a spare isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of their reliability. :ha

But I hear you. I don't agree, though. Reliability aside, the reason we have Rever, Tourstart, etc is because Basecamp is so awful. People have had to engineer a workaround. On a list I'm on, they discuss working with Excel to fix tracks and all manner of absurd file manipulation because the interface in Basecamp is so awful.

Your mileage varies, obviously.

I still think their stuff is hot garbage. :D

If I might, I'd venture that feeling like you need to have a spare isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of their reliability. :ha

But I hear you. I don't agree, though. Reliability aside, the reason we have Rever, Tourstart, etc is because Basecamp is so awful. People have had to engineer a workaround. On a list I'm on, they discuss working with Excel to fix tracks and all manner of absurd file manipulation because the interface in Basecamp is so awful.

I carry a spare not for the off chance the one I'm using fails, but if I drop it, crack the screen and the unit will no longer take press commands. Happened on the trip to Mexico 2 years ago, fortunately, I had the spare Nav4 at the time. Nav 5 cracked screen sent to Chris Short and returned for under 40.00.

I don't nor would use basecamp even if it worked perfectly seamlessly with the Nav's. Basecamp never interested me. I plan my route on google maps on the computer, plug in all the hotels I'll stay at on the road into the Nav4/5's along with any attractions in the area I'm passing through or staying at.

It's all right there as saved locations and easily punched up on the device. Hot garbage would indicate my Garmins are garbage, and that sir has been proven wrong since 2017 with the Nav 4. If it doesn't do everything it's supposed to for you and the way you want to use it, oh well, ya can't please all the people all the time.

My phone calendar gives me the itinerary day by day for the trip. Check the phone calendar for the next days destination/s upon having checked into a room, the gps has already been programmed to save every location on the trip. As an example, I'll be in Keystone, SD 3 days this summer [ just part of a multi stop tour ]. The calendar says the next day we're going to the badlands in SD.

Up in the morning prepping the bike, gps started, locate the favorite that's saved for that location, and away we go.
;)

Last edited:
Between us Voni and I have had 9 or10 Garmin units starting with a III and then a III+ and have not had any problem to speak of with any of them. We are running obsolete Zumo 660s on the bikes and a couple of newer Nuvi units in the car and pickup. I don't ask much of my GPS. Just up to date maps (within reason) and decent routing. Once in a long while I may be trying to track to a newer subdivision and if not on my Garmin maps I can find it with Google Maps on my phone. Or last years **motel has become this years * hotel of a different brand. I don't have/use/want bluetooth anything. I do have a smart phone and about the only thing I use it for while riding is looking at weather radar or maps when I need to for a specific place. I usually am routing to Seattle or Denver, not 17667 NW 213th street in some booming metropolis.

Dave,
I agree with you that Basecamp is aweful, but there's more to a GPS Unit (or app) than just planning a route. I like the map and display of the Garmin. I do not like the maps in BMW connect App, Google maps, Apple maps, etc. I think their maps are terrible. I've used Rever a couple times. But, the biggest issue for me is that I don't wish to use my phone as my GPS unit, nor do I wish to put my phone in a RAM mount or similar while on the bike. All of this is personal preference not necessarily good or bad.

I am trying out planning my routes on Rever, then moving them to the Garmin. I've done it once so far and it worked well. I know there are probably other options, but I won a free year to Rever, so I'm using that at the moment.

Back