• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I get a replacement battery for my Nav V ?

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Doh! I left out the word BATTERY in my title. I need a replacement battery. I've been to Amazon and there are too many batteries to list - and none with the same spec as what's in my Nav V right now. $110 to buy one from BMW seems a little excessive.

Thanks In advance!

Edit: Thanks Kurt. You Da Man!

Last edited:
Doh! I left out the word BATTERY in my title. I need a replacement battery.I've been to Amazon and there are too many batteries to list - and none with the same spec as what's in my Nav V right now. $110 to buy one from BMW seems a little excessive.

Thanks In advance!

Call Garmin. At last report, they will send you one for under $30.

If you don't have any luck with Garmin, try contacting Chris Short at Palmdr.com. Palm Doctor repairs most GPS devices and sells replacement batteries.

I called Garmin and they sold me a new oem battery for my Nav5. They are sold out of the Nav4 batteries, which I was also looking for for my backup unit.

Can't get it delivered in Canada, have someone you know in the US order it, then send it to you.

I left out the word BATTERY in my title. $110 to buy one from BMW seems a little excessive.

Back in 2021, I order the battery from Garmin. PN: 010-11274-22.

Shipped, it ran me CA$55.71 including HST.

The replacement battery was the same as the one I removed.
BMW Navigator V Battery.jpg

Purchase From Garmin

I purchased a used one a few months back with a dead battery. I called into Garmin about three weeks ago they were out of them but let me purchase and said they would mail as soon as they got some in. I received mine about 4 days ago, an exact replacement for $27.00 including shipping. I always use my pad lock key and reach in behind the mount on my GS and turn the unit off when ending a ride, instead of letting it go to sleep so this battery should last many years.

I purchased a used one a few months back with a dead battery. I called into Garmin about three weeks ago they were out of them but let me purchase and said they would mail as soon as they got some in. I received mine about 4 days ago, an exact replacement for $27.00 including shipping. I always use my pad lock key and reach in behind the mount on my GS and turn the unit off when ending a ride, instead of letting it go to sleep so this battery should last many years.

Ordered a replacement battery for my Navigator V via Garmin on-line chat for $27.50 ..was easy piezy

The replacement Garmin/BMW battery that I bought in 2021-02-17 lasted about 2.5 years. It wasn't taking a charge last fall and I removed it from my Navigator V.

It is a Lithium Ion battery, great for taking charges and discharges just like my mobile phone and tablet and those have built-in batteries that are 5 years old with nearly full capacity from when they were new.

I really do not know who designed either the battery circuitry within the battery pack or the Navigator V circuitry, but it is the BIGGEST POS I have ever seen. Total garbage when it comes to battery longevity. :mad: x10^12

Hell my Garmin GPSMAP 60 CX runs on a couple of NiMH batteries that are over 5 years old (actually older) and I can get 10 hours of use out of a charge. And amazingly, the batteries take a charge. :rolleyes:

Looks like I have to order a new battery.

The replacement Garmin/BMW battery that I bought in 2021-02-17 lasted about 2.5 years. It wasn't taking a charge last fall and I removed it from my Navigator V.

It is a Lithium Ion battery, great for taking charges and discharges just like my mobile phone and tablet and those have built-in batteries that are 5 years old with nearly full capacity from when they were new.

I really do not know who designed either the battery circuitry within the battery pack or the Navigator V circuitry, but it is the BIGGEST POS I have ever seen. Total garbage when it comes to battery longevity. :mad: x10^12

Hell my Garmin GPSMAP 60 CX runs on a couple of NiMH batteries that are over 5 years old (actually older) and I can get 10 hours of use out of a charge. And amazingly, the batteries take a charge. :rolleyes:

Looks like I have to order a new battery.
Chris Short confirmed [ when I had a NIB Garmin 5 that needed NA loaded I bought online ] that the Nav 5's and their batteries had known issues with discharging fairly quickly to near 50% even with an OEM battery replacement.

I've got two Nav5's that both do the same thing. One is NIB so the battery was likely 1/2 charged when new and never recharged until I bought it. The others battery is at least 5 years old and discharges at what appears to be the same rate from 100%. Both get shut down properly.

As a comparison, my Nav4 which is quite old and was used regularly will hold a full charge for months. I now use the Nav4 as a backup to the older Nav5 I've been using for years. I charged the NIB Nav 5 up full and removed the battery [ which will keep it from discharging over time ].

Chris Short confirmed [ when I had a NIB Garmin 5 that needed NA loaded I bought online ] that the Nav 5's and their batteries had known issues with discharging fairly quickly to near 50% even with an OEM battery replacement.

I've got two Nav5's that both do the same thing. One is NIB so the battery was likely 1/2 charged when new and never recharged until I bought it. The others battery is at least 5 years old and discharges at what appears to be the same rate from 100%. Both get shut down properly.

As a comparison, my Nav4 which is quite old and was used regularly will hold a full charge for months. I now use the Nav4 as a backup to the older Nav5 I've been using for years. I charged the NIB Nav 5 up full and removed the battery [ which will keep it from discharging over time ].

Yesterday, I did an update that took almost 3 hours using the correct Garmin cable. Prior to the update, I reinstalled the battery I bought in 2021 and the Nav 5 battery indicator showed a RED bar at the bottom of the Nav 5's voltage indicator. You would think if the battery accepted a charge, I'd have a full GREEN bar shown on the Nav 5's voltage indicator at the end of the update (yes I know the USB on the laptop is limited current-wise).

So then I charged it using my wall plug and Garmin cable for over 12 hours and all I got was a 75% GREEN bar on the Nav 5's voltage indicator. Of course battery voltage and battery capacity are two completely different things, so I turned on my Nav 5 and 40 minutes later I am down to 50%.

And in any case, the engineer that designed the unit must have graduated from Frunkies 'R Us Engineering School because when you shut a device down, there should be near zero or zero current consumption...if they knew what the F they were doing. I can shut down any other device (old mobile phones, old tablets, PC, digital camera) and it maintains battery voltage for months.

Also, Lithium batteries do not have the issues Ni-Cad batteries had from decades ago. They can be charged & discharged thousands of times (like my almost 5 year old Samsung mobile phone) and the battery still has like-new capacity.

We'll see, I'll cycle the battery a few times and HOPE. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I did an update that took almost 3 hours using the correct Garmin cable. Prior to the update, I reinstalled the battery I bought in 2021 and the Nav 5 battery indicator showed a RED bar at the bottom of the Nav 5's voltage indicator. You would think if the battery accepted a charge, I'd have a full GREEN bar shown on the Nav 5's voltage indicator at the end of the update (yes I know the USB on the laptop is limited current-wise).

So then I charged it using my wall plug and Garmin cable for over 12 hours and all I got was a 75% GREEN bar on the Nav 5's voltage indicator. Of course battery voltage and battery capacity are two completely different things, so I turned on my Nav 5 and 40 minutes later I am down to 50%.

And in any case, the engineer that designed the unit must have graduated from Frunkies 'R Us Engineering School because when you shut a device down, there should be near zero or zero current consumption...if they knew what the F they were doing. I can shut down any other device (old mobile phones, old tablets, PC, digital camera) and it maintains battery voltage for months.

Also, Lithium batteries do not have the issues Ni-Cad batteries had from decades ago. They can be charged & discharged thousands of times (like my almost 5 year old Samsung mobile phone) and the battery still has like-new capacity.

So on either Nav 5 battery--If I charge it to 100%, take it off the charger and place it in it's carrying case, then store it in the garage or house [ doesn't matter relative heat ] in a week it's down to 50%. Then it takes another week or thereabouts to go to 25%. From 25% to "it won't start in the cradle without a little charge first" is another week at best.

I've learned if it's dead from sitting stored [ as these do ], I can't just put it in the Nav cradle, it will not turn on. Take the unit in the house, charge it for 10 minutes, it's enough to get it to turn on in the cradle and then charges to full if ridden long enough.

And the process repeats itself. BTW, the unit is shut down properly but it still draws juice as you noticed

I've learned if it's dead from sitting stored [ as these do ], I can't just put it in the Nav cradle, it will not turn on. Take the unit in the house, charge it for 10 minutes, it's enough to get it to turn on in the cradle and then charges to full if ridden long enough.

And the process repeats itself. BTW, the unit is shut down properly but it still draws juice as you noticed.

Same here and I noticed that but just leave it in the cradle and within a half hour of riding, the Nav 5 starts up.

As for the unit not shutting down properly as it should, it was likely designed by the same 3rd year electrical engineer we had at work for the summer. I asked him what his DMM would read across one of the two 10M ohm resistors in series across a 10V DC supply. So he measured it and was surprised he didn't see 5V. I guess he didn't know about the input impedance of a DMM...usually 10M ohms.

Update: in all my devices that I own that are powered up by a Lithium battery (mobile phone, tablet, laptop, digital camera), I've never needed to cycle the battery to get a FULL voltage level or FULL capacity out of them.

A few days ago, no matter how long I left the wall charger with the Garmin cable attached to my Nav 5, I would get no more than a 60% voltage indication (started off at 1 RED and got no more than 2 GREEN after a lengthy charge). By the way, there are 5 zones to the voltage indicator: 4 GREEN and 1 RED = 100%.

Since then, I cycled the battery a few times. I now get a FULL GREEN voltage indication and powered up on the Home Screen, I got 3h 25m till the RED indicator was displayed. From what I remember reading, that is the maximum time on the battery alone.

Navigator V - Home Screen.jpg

Other than removing the battery from the unit, the trouble still remains is the battery drains no matter how you shut the unit down. I believe I am doing a proper shut down as stated in the Nav 5 manual.
Navigator V - Power Off Screen.jpg

Update: in all my devices that I own that are powered up by a Lithium battery (mobile phone, tablet, laptop, digital camera), I've never needed to cycle the battery to get a FULL voltage level or FULL capacity out of them.

A few days ago, no matter how long I left the wall charger with the Garmin cable attached to my Nav 5, I would get no more than a 60% voltage indication (started off at 1 RED and got no more than 2 GREEN after a lengthy charge). By the way, there are 5 zones to the voltage indicator: 4 GREEN and 1 RED = 100%.

Since then, I cycled the battery a few times. I now get a FULL GREEN voltage indication and powered up on the Home Screen, I got 3h 25m till the RED indicator was displayed. From what I remember reading, that is the maximum time on the battery alone.

View attachment 97157

Other than removing the battery from the unit, the trouble still remains is the battery drains no matter how you shut the unit down. I believe I am doing a proper shut down as stated in the Nav 5 manual.
View attachment 97158
After I had the NIB Nav 5 loaded with all of NA by Chris Short, I charged the battery to 100% [ btw, that battery had a date of 2012 ], took it out of the unit for storage [ as it's a spare ]. I then charged another Nav 5 battery I bought from Garmin a few years ago as a spare and took that out and into storage as well.

It's the only way I've found to not have the battery drain while shut down [ properly ].

Back