• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheel Issue - missing spacer ring?

drswift

My first attempt to do some wrench work on my R11RT has got me stumped. I pulled the rear wheel for the first time, and discovered that I'm missing the spacer ring off the drive unit (or so I think). At least that's what it appears to be. There is a raised area on the final drive about the shape of a spacer ring, but I tapped it a few times and it seems part of the drive. Not having any photos in the repair manual, I don't know if I'm missing something. Microfiche isn't much help. Is it possible the ring got left off when they put on the last tire 8K miles ago? Wouldn't the absence of a spacer ring be noticable in affecting the ride of the bike? Does the spacer ring normally pop off easily when you pull the wheel? Does the final dirve have a slightly raised area in the shape of a spacer ring?
:dunno Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

Is it an ABS bike? Is it also possible that the ring was left out to achieve the required distance between the ABS ring and the sensor? I have seen it where the distance was too large for the BAS sensor to ring, and there were no sensor shims to remove to close the distance. Not sure whether that was the required method but from what I saw it was the obvious fix...I am sure that somebody will confirm.

It may also be worth noting I took four spacers off the back of the ABS sensor when I pulled the brake caliper.

i'm a little confused now too.

my bike is a 99 and it has NEVER had a washer to my knowledge.

the Max parts fiche shows part number 36317653286 as a washer for the models made after 02/2001 with or without integral ABS. the ABS 2 models made before this time have a washer in the diagram on the fiche, but there there is no part number listed for it.
this leads me to believe that the ABS 2 bikes, which yours is, do not have this washer.

someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, i'll pick up a washer for myself when i go to the dealer tomorrow!

Yep. It's an ABS unit.

If you still have your ABS feeler gauge in the toolkit just check to see the clearance between the ABS ring and the sensor. Those shims below the sensor are to space it back from the ring to the desired clearance. This reading may tell you much about that missing shim from the wheel. And it may also suggest that the shims behind the sensor need to be replaced too. I am not sure what thickness the feeler gauges are for min and max on the ABS feeler gauge as they are simply marked min and max.

Sounds like this is ABS related. The spacers are 2 thick and 2 thin. I think I'll put it back as I found it and have the dealer check it in a few weeks when I bring it in for some other service. Thanks all for the prompt replys. :clap

While in Vegas at a trade show I stopped by the BMW dealer and talked with their mechanic about the spacer disk. He said he has never heard of leaving the spacer off an RT or any bike. So, I guess I'll put one in and see if the ABS still works!

If you put a ring in, make sure you at least check that clearance with the gauge. The sensor has to be a certain distance from the slotted ring in order to correctly read the passing slots. I have had a distance much greater than the max gauge and the ABS worked, it just did not work as effectively as when it was set coorectly within specs as recommended. Your bike though and you make the decisions, perhaps think about checking it. You have the shims on the sensor to remove to move it closer to the ring if adjustment is needed.

While in Vegas at a trade show I stopped by the BMW dealer and talked with their mechanic about the spacer disk. He said he has never heard of leaving the spacer off an RT or any bike. So, I guess I'll put one in and see if the ABS still works!

Any time a dealership tells me they "have never heard of" something I know is fairly common knowledge I want to run like hell out their door and never go back. Surging - never heard of it! Final drive bearing failure - never heard of it! Ad nauseum ...

Back