• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What the hell is going on?

In your state can kids get a school permit?

In Iowa a 14 year old who lives more than a mile from school can drive to school and back without a licensed driver with them.

I don't think so. It happened on Sunday afternoon, so it would not matter.

About 15 years ago, while I was a bridge inspector, we were checking over the I-390 bridges over SR 21 in New York. An elderly couple pulled off on the shoulder of SR 21. I could see them studying maps for about 10 minutes. After all that study, the proceeded to enter I-390. Unfortunately, they entered the off-ramp, going the wrong way. It was their lucky day: a state trooper was exiting I-390 on that off-ramp. He straightened them out and got them turned around. They were only seconds away from killing themselves and at least one other innocent driver.

I still can't believe it: study maps for 10 minutes then enter an Interstate going the wrong way!

Harry

I had something similar to this happen to me back in the 70's in St. Louis rush hour traffic... Heading south around 5:00 p.m. (afternoon rush hour) I'm in the fast lane on Hwy 55 south, when a car full of seniors passes me on the left side! After getting over my shock that they were heading south on the north bound fast lane I managed to get ahead of them, slam on my brakes on the fast land shoulder, hop over the medium and flag them down. They were totally oblivious that they were going the wrong way on an interstate in rush hour traffic. And on top of that, when they finally realized what I was telling them, they made a full 3 lane u-turn with cars dancing all over the place trying to miss them.... Must have been everyone's lucky day, as no one got hurt or hit, including myself.....

Could face intoxicted manslaughter charges? Why not second degree murder? We seem to diminish the seriousness of deaths caused by autos even when there is the same depraved indifference to life displayed as when criminals use a gun to kill.

My $.02 worth: Our country (perhaps our world?) has decided that it's easier to build safer vehicles than try to create safer drivers. Virtually all new cars/trucks/SUVs/motorcycles sold today have a variety of electronic gizmos that contribute to a better driving experience; some of these gizmos might actually make for a safer driving experience--but not always. We bought two new cars this year and the most important thing the salesperson emphasized to my wife and I was the electronic hookup between the new car and our smartphones. The salesman couldn't seem to understand that we believe ALL use of a mobile phone in a moving vehicle should be illegal, not encouraged by the vehicle manufacturer. As soon as we drove away from the dealership we pulled into the first safe place and deleted all of his half-hour's worth of work he had done to "pair" our phones to the vehicle. Furthermore, I believe vehicle manufacturers could easily make it impossible for a cell phone to be used in a moving vehicle by creating an electronic signal that would override the phone's reception until the vehicle was brought to a complete stop. And yes, I say that even passengers in a moving vehicle could learn to get by without a communications device.

My $.02 worth: Our country (perhaps our world?) has decided that it's easier to build safer vehicles than try to create safer drivers. Virtually all new cars/trucks/SUVs/motorcycles sold today have a variety of electronic gizmos that contribute to a better driving experience; some of these gizmos might actually make for a safer driving experience--but not always. We bought two new cars this year and the most important thing the salesperson emphasized to my wife and I was the electronic hookup between the new car and our smartphones. The salesman couldn't seem to understand that we believe ALL use of a mobile phone in a moving vehicle should be illegal, not encouraged by the vehicle manufacturer. As soon as we drove away from the dealership we pulled into the first safe place and deleted all of his half-hour's worth of work he had done to "pair" our phones to the vehicle. Furthermore, I believe vehicle manufacturers could easily make it impossible for a cell phone to be used in a moving vehicle by creating an electronic signal that would override the phone's reception until the vehicle was brought to a complete stop. And yes, I say that even passengers in a moving vehicle could learn to get by without a communications device.

I concur and I'll add. In this world of the most advanced communications ever,...people still do not listen. If they are talking face-to-face & the cell rings ?...they say OH I gotta take this and ignore the one they're speaking face-to-face with. Then if another caller rings in ?....they say hold on I gotta take this....So , just who the heck is important enough too talk to for them. I don't get it, and I think that aspect of it is very rude. It's like they just need to check on the next best ?? of interest.

I was talking to an acquaintance in a local watering hole about a year ago. That very scenario happened...so I left. Saw him later that week at an AM/Legion BBQ, he asked where I disappeared to that night. I said well, you appeared to be finished talking to me , my beer was finished , so I left.........I know he didn't get it, because at that exact moment his cell rang, he answered it and walked away :banghead ....maybe I'm just boring :dunno

Could face intoxicted manslaughter charges? Why not second degree murder? We seem to diminish the seriousness of deaths caused by autos even when there is the same depraved indifference to life displayed as when criminals use a gun to kill.

The reports said he went at least 14 miles the wrong way. They just showed a pic of the remnants of the bike on a flatbed, unrecognizable heap of metal...Made me a little ill seeing that knowing the rider had no chance.
Yes, the lesser charge is maddening as the vehicle IS a weapon.

In Tejas intoxicted manslaughter sentencing guidelines:

Two to twenty years in prison and possible fine not exceed $10,000
Possibility of community supervision

Second Degree Murder sentencing guidelines:

Confinement for life or from five to ninety-nine years and a possible fine not to exceed $10,000
Possibility of community supervision

Recent cases have been fairly lenient on Intoxication Manslaughter, with minimal jail time and probation for many. It's a hot topic for the families affected.

The most recent trial here was from a man fleeing police and running the wrong way in his car during the SXSW event, killing four and injuring more as he plowed into closed streets with festival goers. He was charged with Capital Murder and just got a life sentence. You have to be proven of intent to kill for that biggie.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/06/rashad-owens-murder-sxsw-crash-guilty/75314524/

It seems that in every jurisdiction that I am aware of the law makers have created a special charge for murder when it is done by a drunk driver. Perhaps they do this because they can envision themselves being charged with such an offense.

To me, getting in a car and driving while intoxicated, running from the police and driving the wrong way on an interstate is equivilent to getting drunk and then going to a mall with a rifle, placing the weapon on full auto and firing indiscriminately in all directions.

Maybe some vehicles are now, for the occupants, so 'disconnected' from the roadway environment that what happens outside the vehicle is somewhat detached, if not inconsequential to the outside world, from the driver's perspective. Additionally, possibly our vehicles are at some technological transition point between driver operated and automated control that driver skills are getting 'dumbed down' somewhat.

Gee, I even heard that some motorcycle riders keep their cell phones activated for use while riding. Now that I find a bit odd, if not hazardous. - Bob

Back