• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What have you done to your Wethead today?

Interesting. It looks like that has rubber collars to seal against the plugs when plugged in. Am I seeing that right? I use my port for my non-BMW approved Zumo 396 and removed the OEM GPS mount and wiring. If I ever needed another port, I was going to get a y adapter, or just throw a battery pack in my tankbag, but this may change my mind.

Interesting. It looks like that has rubber collars to seal against the plugs when plugged in. Am I seeing that right? I use my port for my non-BMW approved Zumo 396 and removed the OEM GPS mount and wiring. If I ever needed another port, I was going to get a y adapter, or just throw a battery pack in my tankbag, but this may change my mind.
The socket seals around the usb plug so it should be water resistant. I had a plug in adapter but it died so it was time for something new.

Got my SW-Motech adjustable pegs and installed them in the 15mm lower position. What a difference that made, I could get them about another 5mm lower by removing the optional rubber cushions. No need to change anything on the brake pedal or shifter.

Now I am waiting on my rear mudguard (covers the spring and ESA computer). Bought the $50.00 Chines version off eBay......save where I can on non-safety related items.

Attachments

• Foot Peg.jpg
    Foot Peg.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 4
Very sad, but only walked by it! I did at a werks screen which I love and hope to experience more of on Thursday!

Over the weekend I washed, waxed the painted, and treated the unpainted plastics. Just in time for more rain...

When I bought my new to me 2018 R1200R, it came with a Vstream Z-tech touring windshield. That windshield was definitely functional, but I didn't like the looks of it.....to big for my taste. I installed a Puig sport screen and that one didn't do it for me either.

Took a chance and bought a Vstream low/dark tinted windshield from a fellow member on the r1200R forum he had just taken off his R1250R. Although, supposedly it will not fit, it was a perfect and easy bolt on affair with my existing Vstream brackets. With that said, 1200/1250 Vstream windshields are interchangeable. Now I have the perfect look IMO at least.

Also installed a radiator guard.....another cheapy from eBay.

Attachments

• Radiator Guard.jpg
    Radiator Guard.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Winshield.jpg
    Winshield.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
2015 R1200RT, completed 60,000mile service, cams look good. change the brake fluid, neighbor helped with that, his background=VW tech.
I did lube rear of drive shaft, BUT not the front, no wire tie to seal boot.
we talked about the cam/rocker problems on some of the engines? He said he would pull the cams and look at the rockers? Soon as new bike gets in I will
do that. Last big job repaired both front fork seals for the 3rd X.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    998.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    957.5 KB · Views: 16
They say of all the things you can do for your bike there is nothing more that has more utility or brings more pleasure than this. First one of this year.
PXL_20240226_202855324~2.jpg

Shouldn't have to pull the cams to inspect them; if they show wear or significant scratches, then you replace the rockers too.

Last week I checked the valves and changed the plugs on both 2022 R1250RSs.
I decided to wait for a warmer day to change the air filters because I don't like dealing with plastic tabs when it's cold.
Today was the day with record highs in the mid 70s :) Tomorrow night might snow :(
This filter has 20,900 miles on it and looks clean. When I blew air through it with the air compressor I didn't see any dirt blow out.
I still changed the filter on both bikes. Our previous R1200RSs were the same way and I never bothered to change those at 12,000 miles.
I see the 1250RS does not have nylon washers under the fairing fasteners like the 1200RSs did.
I thought it was strange the R1200 had washers when none of our K bikes did.

1708991816387.jpeg

1708991838005.jpeg

Installed another eBay special today. I always had rear mudguards on my GSs, so, the R1200R was in dire need of having one installed, especially with the ESA components back there.

Bought the one in the link below for around 55.00 USD, took 11 days to arrive from the day I ordered. Absolutely no difference for the 3x more expensive big name brand (which is probably made in China as well).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195793297634

Also adjusted the shift lever to work more comfortable with my newly installed SW-Motech drop down pegs. Oddly, I had to raise it to make it work better for me.

Attachments

• Mud Guard.jpg
    Mud Guard.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 19
Installed the headlight cover from A Bike Thing from UK. Kudos to A Bike Thing for quick shipping and a product that has super good quality and looks.

Attachments

• 20240301_125308.jpg
    20240301_125308.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_125308.jpg
    20240301_125308.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_125303.jpg
    20240301_125303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_125333.jpg
    20240301_125333.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240301_125429.jpg
    20240301_125429.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_125333.jpg
    20240301_125333.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_125429.jpg
    20240301_125429.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I rode mine finally. Tried out the new tank bag, seat and gear. All is good.

Mellow the top case looks great!

I've installed black front and rear Ilium bars to go with the black drive train and the "Meteoric Dust II Metallic" Option 719 paint (aka black, unless direct light is making the metalflake pop with a slight blue hue), and a Wunderlich plastic engine protector (I refer to it as a "breast plate"):

RT Ilium front bars and D3s.jpeg
RT Ilium rear bars.jpeg

Denali D3 lights with yellow lenses on Ilium Works mounts:

RT front lights.jpeg

A HEX ezCAN to control the D3s on two circuits, the third exCAN circuit is used to convert the OE trunk brake light into a brake and running light, and the fourth ezCAN circuit powers a rear SAE plug for passenger heated gear or an air compressor:

RT ezCan rear.jpeg
RT rear SAE connection.jpeg

Replaced the front right power outlet with a Powerlet outlet wired directly to the battery, via an SAE battery connection harness under the front seat that also feeds a second SAE plug to power a tank bag:

RT Front SAE connections.jpeg

All wiring is encased in mesh split loom for abrasion protection (this is the mesh loom carrying the 6 wires from the ezCAN up to the lights along the left side of the bike):

RT mesh passage.jpeg

Installed a Speedo Angels nano glass cover over the TFT (no pics).

More tweaks to come (are we ever "finished" with mods??)

Thanks.

I'm too O.C.D. to be able to live with rats nests - this is just more evidence that the meds aren't working!

Back