• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What compromises an essential K bike spare parts cache??

wasserwolf

Being new to K bikes, I was wondering what you guy keep on the garage shelf for spares?

Spare Rear drive?, Engine control module? Hall Effect Sensor? Starter??

Nothing at all because the bike is so reliable??? What do you think?

Being new to K bikes, I was wondering what you guy keep on the garage shelf for spares?

Spare Rear drive?, Engine control module? Hall Effect Sensor? Starter??

Nothing at all because the bike is so reliable??? What do you think?

I am fortunate with a '92 K1100LT because a good friend gave me his '91 K so I have all the parts. But, like you say,the bike is so reliable. On the road, I take the donor bike's oil filler cap and drain bolt, control module, and a few particular screws and bolts but not really much for parts. Basic tools but I do try to keep my 'on the road' work to a minimum. Carry bulbs for sure, some wire, a circuit tester, small jumper cable..... but, honestly, especially if an earlier K, the bike requires so little attention. Not sure if newer models are as trustworthy but I like this one. Enjoy your new ride. - Bob

Last edited:
Maybe throttle cable as well. Another thing that I do (based on someone's wise suggestion) is 'thread' clutch cable and (to be done this year) throttle cable next to existing ones. On the road, neither is pleasant to do in a hurry. - Bob

Maybe throttle cable as well. Another thing that I do (based on someone's wise suggestion) is 'thread' clutch cable and (to be done this year) throttle cable next to existing ones. On the road, neither is pleasant to do in a hurry. - Bob

Smart:thumb

My K100RT has 253,000 km (158,000 mi). I carry extra turn signal bulbs, including a headlight bulb, fuses, a clutch cable (zip tied beside the working clutch cable), an extra fuel filter and an oil filter wrench. In the last 132,000 km, the only item that I have needed on the road was my replacement PIAA head lamp. Bullet proof? Quite possibly.

Last edited:
My K100RT has 253,000 km (158,000 mi). I carry extra turn signal bulbs, including a headlight bulb, fuses, a clutch cable (zip tied beside the working clutch cable) and an oil filter wrench. In the last 132,000 km, the only item that I have needed on the road was my replacement PIAA head lamp. Bullet proof? Quite possibly.

That headlight bulb is a real bugger to install (fat finger me may be the real issue though). Always check its functioning before riding. Brief story: left the RA rally in Asheville and hit rain. Meandered along rt 40 (I believe it was) into Tenn. Entered one of those long mountain tunnels, on a curve, to discover that my headlight high beam was burnt out. Total blackness :eek Where's the wall? Flipped to low beam and, praise the Lord, it worked. Now I make sure that I check my lights, have new bulbs and ensure that auxiliary LEDs are functioning. I really don't like those 'pucker moments".

I don't mean to digress from the original question but in-yer-shop prep can be a life saver when you hit the road. Symbiotic relationship in a way I suppose.- Bob

That headlight bulb is a real bugger to install (fat finger me may be the real issue though). I don't mean to digress from the original question but in-yer-shop prep can be a life saver when you hit the road. Symbiotic relationship in a way I suppose.- Bob

Wasserwolf, if you haven't replaced a headlight bulb, it would be a good idea to try it at home before a trip. The manual says to remove a knee pad, (and glove box?) to get at it. However, ignore all that and put the bike on the side stand, crank the handle bars to the left and there is just enough room to get one hand inside the faring to the headlamp. Both my R and K require the same technique. Sometimes I can do the removal and install in about five minutes. The other times, require holding your mouth and tongue in a grimace, as well as using prayer or colourful language to achieve this. If the latter happens, take a break and come back to it. A rest can do wonders. :lol

Bob is certainly right with any long ride; good inspection and necessary service before a long trip can make the ride much more pleasurable. :thumb

Wasserwolf, if you haven't replaced a headlight bulb, it would be a good idea to try it at home before a trip. The manual says to remove a knee pad, (and glove box?) to get at it. However, ignore all that and put the bike on the side stand, crank the handle bars to the left and there is just enough room to get one hand inside the faring to the headlamp. Both my R and K require the same technique. Sometimes I can do the removal and install in about five minutes. The other times, require holding your mouth and tongue in a grimace, as well as using prayer or colourful language to achieve this. If the latter happens, take a break and come back to it. A rest can do wonders. :lol

Bob is certainly right with any long ride; good inspection and necessary service before a long trip can make the ride much more pleasurable. :thumb

Paul/Bob
I will certainly take your advice on the pre-inspection as well as having a replacement ready in case. Thanks for the access advice, this membership is sure worth it.

Back