• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

what are the most popular rallies ?

Two good rallys now are the Dinks in central IL in August and Square Route in early June. The Dinks have a theme rally and it is as much fun as the classic DCR rallys were back in the day. BMWBMW Square Route has a great camp ground, great back roads and a lot to see in the area. Both rallys feed you and have entertainment. :clap I dont make as many as I useto, but I recomend these. Ramblin Rebel:brow

Too many Rallies too little time

Americade is awesome! So many bike to see, such great people, so much to do in only 5 short days. Been 14 straight years!

Honda Hoot is sort of like Americade light! Good people, good vendors and Honda really does a nice job. Just don't like Knoxville as much as when it was in Asheville.

Biktoberfest ..... place to see and be seen! Fun for a day!

1. Iowa Guzzi rally, Elkader, IA. Best rally food, good food all around the area, and you can flog your bike on the dirt track when the horses aren't on it.

2. Paonia.

3. Arkansas Fall Color Tour, a dual sport event in Clarksville.

4. Rally Week in the Black Hills. Avoid Sturgis proper, avoid pavement. Bring a DS and dirt bike and enjoy the best of the Hills, plus racing every night.

5. GR3 (formerly in Bagley,WI) used to be a don't miss. It's still good, but has moved around too much to develop a real flavor. It's on a tough weekend, competing with a really good trail ride in Theilman, MN and a 3-speed bicycle ride around Lake Pepin.

6. Bear Tooth Rendezvous. Not nearly as much fun since they banned dogs, but the riding is incomparable.

7. Falling Leaf. My first rally ever, in Bland. Even better in Potosi.

8. Hiawatha. Best off-road golf carting.

9. Ontario Sport Bike rally, Parry Sound. Haven't been to this one for a long time, but it might be the coolest rally I ever attended.

Dells? used to be good, but not since it became a motel rally.

The best rallies are the one you can get to. They are all good especially the ones in your own back yard.

1. Green Mountain Rally in Vermont. Awesome riding, great food and the only rally with unlimited free popcorn.

2. Finger Lakes Rally. Also featuring wonderful riding and Bob Henig of BOB's BMW sponsors a superb Ride for Kids buffet breakfast. There is also a world class motorcycle and aircraft museum nearby in Hammondsport.

3. Airheads at the Aerodrome. Keep this one a secret since those of us lucky enough to get a spot like to keep the steak roast a secret. And then there is the air show of vintage aircraft.

4. Damn Yankee Rally. The roads in Western Massachusetts are mostly unknown to the Motorcycling community and the there is always a good touring opportunity.

5. BIG Gig urban rally. Held in the largest city in the United States. It exists to help break up the winter and usually falls half way between national rallies.

6. Salty Fog Rally. A new rally that cares more about good food and some on the most scenic rides in North America. No beer tent.

Mega Events

BMW National Rally with Camp Gears. The biggest BMW rally of them all. The yearly family reunion. Since it travels to a new location each year it never becomes stale or ho hum.

Daytona - plenty to do and see every day without ever having to go near Main
Street. But do go to Main Street once to be sure you really didn't miss something. Don't miss the auctions (several of them) at Stetson University in nearby DeLand. Most of the motorcycles to be auctioned will be on line before the auction.

Americade - 50,000 attendees during the week must like something. The riding in the Adirondacks is a special treat. BMW sends two trucks of motorcycles and still people line up at 6:00 a.m. BMW also sponsors two boat cruises and a rodeo. The year Christian Pfeiffer will give a free show atop Prospect Mountain. Ben and Jerrry is giving free ice cream to all attendees.

That's nine and I'm leaving room for at least one new one this year.

The Top O the Rockies is nice, but I can't go that far.
I always go to the Great River Road Run, Hiawatha, The National, and the Dells. I may try to hit the ADV Rally in St Germaine WI this year also, in August.

Black Hills BMW Stampede :thumb
Top 'o the Rockies
The Curve Cowboy Reunion
Bavarian Mountain Weekend in Sipapu
Texas Hill Country Rally
Texas National BMW Rally
ROT - Republic of Texas Rally
RAT - Ride Around Texas :scratch
BMW RA Annual Rally

Almost EVERY rally I've been to was my favorite - while I was there.

There are some that I don't miss, or hate to miss:

Great River Road Rally
Iowa Rally
Wisconsin Dells Rally

But oh -- so many more are SO excellent!

Living in Denver the "Rally's you can get to" theme rings true....
There's lots of rallies around the country that sound great but this thing called "work" seams to take a lot of my time.
So my favs are
1. Top O the Rockies of course!:thumb
2. Bavarian Mountain Weekend in Sipapu, NM:german
3. Husker Rally in Franklin, NE :usa
4. Thunder Mtn Rally Cedaredge, CO (moving to Hotchkiss, CO this year):dance
5. Red Rocks Rendevous in Panquitch, UT:brad
6. Road Runner Rally in Heber, AZ :whistle
7. Any MOA rally I can get to, been to Redmond, Spokane and West Bend.;)
8. Any RA rally I can get to. Been to only 1 in Red River, NM but would like to try to get to this years up in da UP. Been there and it is beeeeeutiful country.:lurk
Also what I try to do every year is to get to one or two rally's that I haven't been to. This year Black Hills, Beartooth or the Iowa rally or Land of Oz rally's are on the list of maybes....

Last edited:
Dave Swider is right on the money with his response above!

Stop thinking of Charleston as a "city" and start thinking of it as a small friendly town with fantastic venues for our gathering.

The RA did go to a fantastic riding area and gather at a small ski area about 12 miles from the middle of nowhere in the wilderness. About 1500 people showed up by an optimistic count. Had the usual 6,000-7,000 people who usually show up for an MOA International gathering showed up in Red River the event would have been a disaster due to a lack of facilities to handle the attendees. It is not easy to find a location that has the facilities to handle a crowd of our size on motorcycles and still offer our attendees an interesting riding experience. I think you will find that Charleston meets both of these goals in spades. See you there.

I'm taking drugs. Was Charleston announced as the 09 rally site? :dunno

Last edited:
My personal most bestest is: Oktoberfest @ Beemer Hill :brad

Then the Dells :thumb

I'm still pretty much a noob but I'm aging FAST

:whistle

:ha

Read the date of the post, Bud.

Kbasa, my friend, if you were taking what I'm taking, you wouldn't be able to see, let alone read. :dance

I'm gonna go take a couple more and go back to sleep.:thumb

Really is kind of funny, in a drug induced, hazy sort of way. :dunno

Rallies...

#1 Paonia, CO

#2 Falling Leaf, Potosi, MO

#3 That neat little rally in Sturgis, MS where all those cool old BMW's can be seen..

#4 Sipapu, NM

#5 Chief Joseph, John Day, OR

#7 Roadrunner, Heber, AZ

I like a lot more, but these are my favs....:bikes

:bikes

Kbasa, my friend, if you were taking what I'm taking, you wouldn't be able to see, let alone read. :dance

I'm gonna go take a couple more and go back to sleep.:thumb

Really is kind of funny, in a drug induced, hazy sort of way. :dunno

nite! ZZZZZzzzz

Heal fast!!!

We try to never miss Finger Lakes. Wine, wine, wine and Watkins Glen.

We also like the Dells Rally, Falling Leaf, Hiawatha and GR3. Who can forget the Chicken Rally! First time for that one last year. :groovy

Mark and Tina

ski areas = ??

I would think a Ski resort area in the summer should fit the bill.

Well, we did Lake Placid, NY back in the 1980's. Beautiful area. Problem was that ski resorts get used for all sorts of things off season. We got there fairly early, and still had to camp next to the piles of horse manure from the Horse Show that had been there the previous week. The most wide-open rally I can remember was Shreve Ohio--also back in the 1980's. Huge campground, and people could spread out if they chose to. Which, of course, many diid not.

Mac

Back