• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning! GPS MIND CONTROL IS REAL!

Doctors are also recommending not to take medication that you are allergic to.
OM

I am not sure which I find more amazing: following a GPS down a railroad track; or off a dock into a lake or river.

Another one that comes to mind- from, https://www.concordmonitor.com/Family-stranded-after-following-GPS-onto-snowmobile-trail-31627837

Family stranded after following GPS onto N.H. snowmobile trail

Associated Press
Published: 12/29/2019 4:26:09 PM
Modified: 12/29/2019 4:25:56 PM
A family was stranded for nearly seven hours in northern New Hampshire after their minivan got stuck on a snowmobile trail.

Two adults and five children from Burlington, Mass., were trying to get from the Bretton Woods ski area to a hotel on Saturday when their vehicle’s GPS directed them to a seasonal road that is only open to snowmobile traffic in winter, according to the New Hampshire Fish and Game department.

The driver, Dattu Prajapati, 45, ignored posted signs about the road closure and continued for several miles before turning around, authorities said. The minivan then slid off the road and got stuck in a ditch.

Prajapati used his vehicle’s roadside assistance feature to seek help, but the towing company took several hours to locate the minivan and didn’t have the specialized equipment necessary to free the vehicle. Fish and Game, state police and local rescue crews were called just before midnight, and they used an ATV and snowmobile to fetch the family members. Authorities used a special ATV and winch to free the vehicle, and the family was back on the road around 2 a.m. Sunday.

Prajapati was cited for operating a conventional vehicle on a snowmobile trail. Officials said similar situations have played out at that location many times, despite efforts by authorities and local snowmobile clubs to alert drivers to the seasonal road changes.

To add insult to injury, Fish and Game gave this poor guy a ticket.

OM

Having been involved, issuing a ticket in a situation like this really hinders police/public relations.
OM

The driver, Dattu Prajapati, 45, ignored posted signs about the road closure and continued for several miles before turning around, authorities said. The minivan then slid off the road and got stuck in a ditch.”

The driver willfully ignored posted signs and as a result put himself, his family, and his rescuers in immediate danger. Public relations aside, he needed a ticket as a wake-up call. Without that, the driver is likely to walk away thinking his only real error was in executing a bad turn-around and getting stuck. I’m all in favor of good PR between LEOs and the public, but a walk away in this case is not called for…

Best,
DeVern

The driver, Dattu Prajapati, 45, ignored posted signs about the road closure and continued for several miles before turning around, authorities said. The minivan then slid off the road and got stuck in a ditch.”

The driver willfully ignored posted signs and as a result put himself, his family, and his rescuers in immediate danger. Public relations aside, he needed a ticket as a wake-up call. Without that, the driver is likely to walk away thinking his only real error was in executing a bad turn-around and getting stuck. I’m all in favor of good PR between LEOs and the public, but a walk away in this case is not called for…

Best,
DeVern

Like in all these cases, he (seemed) followed the GPS. His humiliation in front of the his family and law enforcement along with the tow charge was penalty enough.
We do seem to be in an era of lost compassion for those lacking common sense. :dunno
OM

A GPS is a tool. It is not a substitute for thinking.
And a tool is only useful when 1) you know how to use it, and 2) when you know its limitations.

A friend I ride with often runs the factory GPS and a Garmin, as I do. We always joke about taking the route of majority rule. We have had times that we have plugged in a city and had four different routes show. When our wives are with is is cheap entertainment for them as we argue about the best route!

If I had a GPS on my bike, around here, I don’t think I could use it. Taking my eyes off the road for the amount of time it would take to view the screen……I would end up a hood ornament.
Probably better out in open spaces of the west.
I wonder how many have been led astray by bad GPS directions?
OM

I was riding behind a fellow MOA member several years back. He had a new gadget called a GPS. His GPS led us down a gravel road to a quarry, twice. I found a remote back country intersection in rural Ohio. (US highway X and state route Y.) This allowed me to get a fix on our position. Then I pulled out a paper map to plot a course to our destination and invited my companion rider to follow me. It was actually kind of fun to have to form a plan and execute it several hundred miles from home.

I was riding behind a fellow MOA member several years back. He had a new gadget called a GPS. His GPS led us down a gravel road to a quarry, twice. I found a remote back country intersection in rural Ohio. (US highway X and state route Y.) This allowed me to get a fix on our position. Then I pulled out a paper map to plot a course to our destination and invited my companion rider to follow me. It was actually kind of fun to have to form a plan and execute it several hundred miles from home.

When traveling I have my GPS but also a map in my tank bag window. And I carry a compass.

A few years back we were looking for an out of the way restaurant we had heard about on the SC coast. After a mile or so the road got narrow and surrounded by water. The GPS spoke up and said, "Whenever possible, turn around." Note that it did not say it's usual "... make a u-turn."

Two things that annoy me on the Garmin, "Shortest route" will put you on a dirt road even if dirt roads are selected on avoidances. 2nd thing, why can't I pick a road to follow? How hard could it be to just ask the GPS to follow Hwy 90, or 82, or 66, etc, etc. That would be nice.

Back