• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Bing Ethanol Resistant Fuel Lines

typ181r90

Superkraut
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on my experience with the Bing Ethanol Resistant Fuel Lines, because it really hasn't been good. Doing a quick search of this forum it seems like others may have had the same experiences.

Around June last year I replaced my rubber lines with the Bing stuff, there wasn't anything wrong with the rubber lines, but they were getting a little old. First thing I noticed was that the Bing lines had thinner walls, but being a different material than the rubber, I didn't think it'd be an issue, particularly since the lines weren't going to rubbing against anything or in contact with any engine parts. At the end of July of last year I had one line burst on me, but at the time I attributed it to vandalism as the bike was parked in a public place. In that case, I rode the bike for about 15 miles with no issues or leaks, parked it for about 3 hours and when I turned the petcock on there was a flood coming out of the line below the crossover that goes into the carb. There was a gash about 3/4 of the way around the line that looked like a clean cut and why I thought maybe someone cut the line or pulled on it or something. I replaced that line and moved on.

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I rode the bike to work (a gated, pretty high security facility) which was about 12 miles away and parked it. Again, no leaking, nothing wrong with the lines. Went back out to the bike after an hour and again turned on the petcock and got a flood of gas. This time it was on the left side of the bike and the line that goes from the petcock to the crossover tube. Again, about 1/2-3/4 of the line was open, looking as if someone cut it, but I was able to check video footage and no one touched the bike. This time I replaced the that section of line with traditional Continental rubber line and headed home to replace the rest of the sections when back in my garage. I replaced the remaining lines on the left side with no issues, but while replacing all the ones on the right side, I just touched the line I had replaced 9 months ago and it broke apart just above where it secures to the carb inlet. I'm thankful I was able to fix everything both times while the bike was parked and not having one burst while riding.

Looking at the fuel lines that broke, there was a yellow-whitish sediment coating the interior of the lines around the points where they broke, I couldn't see this sediment deeper in the lines. I don't know if this was the hose breaking down from the inside or just sediment from the fuel. Since our airheads are gravity fed, I can't think of any reason for the lines to burst other than maybe thermal expansion (remember that both times the lines burst after a ride) combined with interior wear. I really don't know, but I'm back to regular rubber lines from now on.

I'm not telling anyone what to use, just giving warning as to what my experiences were with fuel lines that were less than a year old.

I had the exact experience a few years back. Mine split while I was at a gas station just prior to leaving for the national rally.

Is this the blue see-thru fuel line they sell? I've been running that on my 81 R100 since 2012 with no problems.

Used some of their stuff many years ago without problems.

However, I discontinued using it because it was very inconvenient to disconnect from the petcocks and of course the gas tank comes off the bike quite a lot.

Last I checked a few years ago, the local VW independent shop has lots of the old-time cloth covered stuff. Theirs has "Made in Germany" printed on it, which I thought was cool.

Is this the blue see-thru fuel line they sell? I've been running that on my 81 R100 since 2012 with no problems.

They came in different colors, but I picked black. It's not transparent so I don't know if it's the same material used, but it still said BAI Alcohol Resistant on it.

Last I checked a few years ago, the local VW independent shop has lots of the old-time cloth covered stuff. Theirs has "Made in Germany" printed on it, which I thought was cool.

That's what I used before and am using again. Continental 7mm rubber lines that are made in Germany

I bought some of the black fuel line a few years back. After a couple years I had it split on me and what I had extra split just trying to push it on.

Don

I have been dealing with Ethanol and Bio-Diesel for years now. In my opinion, there is only one type of hose that is reliable: Silicone.

Best to just adjust expectations and expect to replace hoses every year or so. It's not the end of the world.

Best to just adjust expectations and expect to replace hoses every year or so. It's not the end of the world.

I agree that hoses are a wear and tear maintenance item, but I still think that catastrophic failures occurring in less than a year of use warrant some kind of warning. In my case, the tearing was so bad I may as well have just opened the petcock directly to the ground and that kind of leak could be pretty bad if it happened while I was riding the bike instead of standing in a parking lot.

I've had my BMW hose (purchased from Max's) on about 3 years, and just replaced it - just for kicks. It was the hose with the blackish webbing on the outside.

Old hose was still in perfect working order, but better safe than sorry.

I did have a piece of it break up (on the inside), but only after abut 10 years, and it had dried out completely.

"Bing" Fuel Hose Failure

Folks,

I have had exactly the same failure at exactly the same place, the fuel cross-over line at the Tee. First one side failed, then the other. Both had large rips in the rubber. Within a hour, the other lines failed at the Tee and at the carburetor pipe. Within two weeks, I had similar failures on my other bike that I had just installed "new" fuel line.

MY HYPOTHESIS:
The fuel line is thin wall compared to Napa 1/4" fuel line that I replaced it with. I suspect the stretching of the material when pushing it over the ridge on the tee and the carburetor fuel inlet causes the material to rip a bit. Over a short time, that rip goes all the way through the wall of the line.

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
I would bet this is not true rubber as it is grey in color, not black, is quite thin, and has a waffle pattern on the outside of the line and no reinforcing threads woven into the material. I also suspect the source for "cloth covered 7 mm fuel line" sold by many BMW dealers may have changed recently. This grey, thin wall, waffle pattern material is clearly inferior and quite dangerous IMHO since it doesn't just weep, it gushes fuel all over the header pipe.

SOLUTION:
I plan to go with 1/4" Tygon line formulated for use with gasoline from now on as it is reported to last. McMaster Carr supplies it at a reasonable price. If you go to this page, you will see a variety of "Tygon" tubing, but look carefully and you will see the "Formulation" number differs.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#tygon-tubing/=13bqvzg

Pick the one that is advertised for use with gasoline on the last row of the page, 2nd from the right, and order 1/4" ID line.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Last edited:
When I had my Airhead I always used the cloth covered hose that I got from Motobins in the UK. Never had a problem. There is a group of about 10 of us in this area that have airheads and none of us have had any issues with using this type of gas line.

Re: Bing black (dark) fuel hose. I purchased this product about 3 years ago and installed it on bike. It cracked as stated in previous posts. What I found interesting is that I left about 2 foot of it curled up on top of a plastic bag in which bag was another 2-3 feet curled up. Recently when I went to use some of it I found that the fuel line which was out in the air on top of the bag had hardened severely while the section in the plastic bag was still pliable. Please note that my garage is basically a converted sheep shed with no high output electrical connections/boiler not even in the same bldg. (am referring to ozone here). Could someone tell me - am too lazy to look it up - the I.D. of the hose we are supposed to use as I want to purchase some of the material on the above listed McMaster Carr site. Thanks, Russ

I am confused here as the only Bing fuel line I have seen lately is a blue tinted clear hose. Is this what is causing problems or has anyone had issues with this line?

Re: Bing black (dark) fuel hose. I purchased this product about 3 years ago and installed it on bike. It cracked as stated in previous posts. What I found interesting is that I left about 2 foot of it curled up on top of a plastic bag in which bag was another 2-3 feet curled up. Recently when I went to use some of it I found that the fuel line which was out in the air on top of the bag had hardened severely while the section in the plastic bag was still pliable. Please note that my garage is basically a converted sheep shed with no high output electrical connections/boiler not even in the same bldg. (am referring to ozone here). Could someone tell me - am too lazy to look it up - the I.D. of the hose we are supposed to use as I want to purchase some of the material on the above listed McMaster Carr site. Thanks, Russ

Russ,

1/4" ID is the size to use. I ordered on Sunday night, and they shipped Monday morning.

Best.
Brook Reams.

I am confused here as the only Bing fuel line I have seen lately is a blue tinted clear hose. Is this what is causing problems or has anyone had issues with this line?

Not sure if that's all they currently have, when I ordered my line from Bing they gave me the option of what color I wanted and I chose black to resemble the stock rubber hose. As they gave me the choice of color, I assume it's all the same material, which failed on me.

Back