• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

WA DOT revisions

Threeteas

New driving fines in the state of Washington **
>
> These fines went into effect on November 1st,
> 2007...>>>
>
> * HOV Lane - 1st time offense $1068.50 (note: the
> sign posted on the HOV
> lanes that says $271 is now wrong and DOT is in the
> process of changing
> them) -2nd offense fine is doubled -3rd it is
> tripled-4th your license
> is suspended for a year! (they are not playing
> around!)
> * Incorrect Lane Change - $380.00 (not using turn
> signal or 'cut ting'
> someone)
> * Block Intersection - $485.00
> * Driving on Shoulder - $450.00
> * Cell Phone Usage While Driving - $285.00 (cell
> phone usage (until
> January 1, 2008, you can use a hand held cell phone
> while driving, but
> if a police officer observes a driving infraction,
> he can stop you and
> cite you for both. After January 1, they can stop
> you for cell phone
> usage w/o any other cause.) must now be done with
> 'hands free'
> device.)Law Enforcement has been told to really
> start cracking down on
> this, as the accident rate is increasing due to cell
> phone use.
> * Cell Phone Usage in a Construction Zone - $570.00
> (this fine is
> doubled from the regular $285.00)
> * Passengers over the age of 18 not in a seat belt -
> Both the passenger
> AND driver with get tickets of $101.00 * DUI -
> Instant ARREST! (the
> court s are now placing DUI's on your driving record
> for a period of 10
> years!)
> * Last but not least - You know that there was a
> thought that you could
> go at least 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, well
> according to the WA.
> State Patrol, you are now allowed 3 MPH over!
>
> So, watch your speed my friends.

I wish they'd pass that cell phone law here in Montana!

I wish they'd pass that cell phone law here in Montana!

Perhaps you American citizens can get an amendment that if whoever is driving and using a mobile makes, or recieves a call, the person on the other end, if driving too, gets fined, where ever they are...just a wish I know, along with cental barriers that aren't made out of cheese-cutting wire and a whole load of others.

Perhaps you American citizens can get an amendment that if whoever is driving and using a mobile makes, or recieves a call, the person on the other end, if driving too, gets fined, where ever they are...just a wish I know, along with cental barriers that aren't made out of cheese-cutting wire and a whole load of others.

Did you really bother to think this through when you posted it????

There is nothing the person placing the call can do to determine what the receiving person is doing at any given time unless they are in the car with the driver which makes the need to place the call rather superfluous.

Secondly there is nothing that forces the person receiving the call to actually take it while driving. It is very easy to simply ignore the ring and continue to drive. No one is holding the driver hostage to the phone.

Did you really bother to think this through when you posted it????

There is nothing the person placing the call can do to determine what the receiving person is doing at any given time unless they are in the car with the driver which makes the need to place the call rather superfluous.

Secondly there is nothing that forces the person receiving the call to actually take it while driving. It is very easy to simply ignore the ring and continue to drive. No one is holding the driver hostage to the phone.

Of course I thought it through and the reason I said it was " a wish" is because it's not possible!

Be nice if it was though.

Still more info...apparently the guy who sent me this who is a ride instructor has heard it's all a falsehood and is doing the rounds for various states.

Sorry to have unintentionally mislead anyone.

Of course I thought it through and the reason I said it was " a wish" is because it's not possible!

Still more info...apparently the guy who sent me this who is a ride instructor has heard it's all a falsehood and is doing the rounds for various states.

Sorry to have unintentionally mislead anyone.

Apparently your friend is correct. I did some searching online and found this, which is a link to a press release from the Washington State Patrol claiming it's a hoax. That link is to a .pdf; apparently the only way they distribute their press releases.

The cell phone law goes into effect July 1, 2008, not January 1st. They also mention you can get a speeding ticket for being only 1mph over the limit, not 3 or 5.

I sincerely hope your wish never comes to fruition. There is already far too much inclusion into things by the government.

I sincerely hope your wish never comes to fruition. There is already far too much inclusion into things by the government.

I thought your immediate concern on this aspect might have been covered by the "it's not possible" phrase, but to examine this further,
you are right of course, there's no way you'd want the government's actions to reduce the number of fatalities on the road is there? :scratch

However, my other wish, that everyone develops a sense of responsibility, not only for themselves but for the consequence of their actions, is even too far removed from reality, for a simple wish, or even the most obtrusive of governments, to make occur.

I hope that clears up all of your concerns on this, Motor 31...but I fear it may not.

Apparently your friend is correct. I did some searching online and found this, which is a link to a press release from the Washington State Patrol claiming it's a hoax. That link is to a .pdf; apparently the only way they distribute their press releases.

The cell phone law goes into effect July 1, 2008, not January 1st. They also mention you can get a speeding ticket for being only 1mph over the limit, not 3 or 5.

1 mph over, where's the 10% speedo error in that, unless of course you are doing 0.90 mph and even then that's only 0.99mph max?

I've been taking it as per most UK police prescribe, 10% +2mph, so 79 mph on the motorway (rounded up to 80mph just for that frisson of danger), so, 68 mph here.

In 30's or 25 zones, my police buddies and I, adhered vehemently to the numbers indicated, even scrubbing off speed so as to allow the 10% error margin to take your speed up to, rather than over and beyond. I still adopt that policy here.
"Built up, slow down".

I'm guessing they are waiting until July 1st with the mobiles, so that all those with an iphone on the Santa list can be added to the fiscal pot of fines.

I thought your immediate concern on this aspect might have been covered by the "it's not possible" phrase, but to examine this further,
you are right of course, there's no way you'd want the government's actions to reduce the number of fatalities on the road is there? :scratch

However, my other wish, that everyone develops a sense of responsibility, not only for themselves but for the consequence of their actions, is even too far removed from reality, for a simple wish, or even the most obtrusive of governments, to make occur.

I hope that clears up all of your concerns on this, Motor 31...but I fear it may not.

No it doesn't, you are right there as you are twisting it to fit your own agenda. Perish the thought that the driver be responsible for themselves and their own action. No you'd rather send some of the blame for the drivers inability to simply ignore the phone onto someone else who is not there and has no idea what the recipient of the phone call is doing at the time if the call. After all they absolutely FORCED the driver to answer the call. They simply wouldn't allow the driver to just let the call go to a message. It's their fault that the driver was too immature to simply drive and leave the phone alone.

The cell phone ban scheduled to go into effect here in Washington State will be a "secondary" infraction, meaning if an officer observes you yakking on your hand-held phone while driving, he cannot cite you for this behavior.

If, however, you cause an accident while yakking, or are yakking while speeding/not signaling/etc., you can get a ticket for yakking while driving.

Hopefully, someday, it will be illegal for a driver to use a telephone in a car. Period.

No it doesn't, you are right there as you are twisting it to fit your own agenda. Perish the thought that the driver be responsible for themselves and their own action. No you'd rather send some of the blame for the drivers inability to simply ignore the phone onto someone else who is not there and has no idea what the recipient of the phone call is doing at the time if the call. After all they absolutely FORCED the driver to answer the call. They simply wouldn't allow the driver to just let the call go to a message. It's their fault that the driver was too immature to simply drive and leave the phone alone.

Now you've taken two steps back to make an arguement where there is none.
How simple can this be...THERE"S NO WAY IT CAN HAPPEN! I know that, you know that.

There is NO AGENDA! What agenda do you see? I fear you may be imposing your fears upon a post that is no threat, carries no malice or has no agenda/plan.

If we can't all wish for everyone else to be responsible for their actions (forget the soddin' phones, that applies to every aspect of life) then we are all just doing our own thing, in our own interest and everyone else can get stuffed. Is that the agenda you are hoping for.

I'd rather not send blame to a driver, to a passenger, to a dog in a Ural, to anyone. I'd rather there be no need for blame to start with.

Now are you happy or will you try to pick a hole in a simple desire for things to get better for us as riders?

Back