• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valve Stem Extenders

jschara

Any one use these? If you do, what brand did you use? Also, would you have to re-balance the wheel?

Thanks, Jim.

There is one thread below about 90-degee valve stems. I also think Snowbum has some discussion on this.

I am not sure what you mean by extenders. I always want the shortest stem I can find because that provides the most room between the stem and the hub or brake disk.

There has been some discussion about 90 degree stems or thread-on 90 degree adaptors, with mixed results.

What are you looking for and trying to accomplish?

Paul, I'm just trying to make it easier to check and fill my tires. The stems are short and very close to the spoke.

That's one version; they're also available in plastic.

I see them as another place to lose air and have successfully discouraged a few neighbors from using them - I have a compressor in the garage and would sometimes "top them off" ... a whole lot less after deleting the junk.

Of course it affects balance - it's not just the fixed/absolute weight, it's also the increased effect that mass has at rotational speed. It will also depend on how picky you are about balancing, and the skill of the person doing the balancing and what method he uses, and if it's spin-balanced (dynamically), the calibration of the balancing machine.

I've found that ball-chuck hose-ends with a bit of gentle prying on the stem, can be used to get compressed air into the standard valve stems. Other commercial/gas station air hose end types are hit-and-miss, and mostly miss.

For the last several years, I've done nearly all of my occasional tire pressure top-offs using a Zefal bicycle tire pump that has their proprietary "Z-Switch" chuck. This chuck's switch lets you use the pump for both Schrader and Presta-type valves (great for bikes, but not of much utility for filling airhead tires/tubes), but the chuck has a flat side that fits neatly against/between a snowflakes' "spoke" and your valve stem. This lets you easily get the chuck attached to your valve stem without any drama. A half-dozen strokes of the pump will bring a tire that has sat for several weeks back up to preferred pressures without waiting for my pancake compressor to fill, or dinking around for change to feed the convenience store's profit-center air station. I have not pumped up a motorcycle tire from flat this way---that could take a bit of time.

This is what I'm up against. There isn't a lot of room for 71 year old fingers to get in for checking air pressure and filing.

Attachments

• 0-49.jpeg
    0-49.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 103
Wow. That is tight. Is that rubber collar an indicator that you’re running the tires tubeless? I’d replace either the entire valve stem, or the inner tube, with something that gives you a somewhat longer stem. Another 1/2” or so would make things easier. My Zefal bike pump recommendation would still help.

angled stem inner tube?

Maybe you can find something like this? This one is at JP Cycles, but Googling "motorcycle inner tubes angled stem" produced quite a few results/options. You could probably find them in the size(s) you need.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 10.32.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 10.32.03 PM.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 71
Can't remember where I found it, but I have a 6" flexible valve stem extension I used on the rear rim of the 07 K1200GT. I still use it regularly on the 2012 GS with angled valve stems to prevent undue force being applied to the stem when airing up. The rear stem on that GT was nearly impossible to get to without that flexible extension.

Wow. That is tight. Is that rubber collar an indicator that you’re running the tires tubeless? I’d replace either the entire valve stem, or the inner tube, with something that gives you a somewhat longer stem. Another 1/2” or so would make things easier. My Zefal bike pump recommendation would still help.

Not wishing to start another "tube/tubeless on a snowflake wheel" thread, but If it were my bike I would remove the tire and see what is inside. I've never seen a stem that short before! Unless it is an improperly installed tube then I'd want to look into a standard tube with a longer stem.

I keep one of these in the tool kit on the bike. Absent a minor release of air when installed and removed for pressure checking, they work well.

Back