• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve job past the 6k mark??

Grover

ShinySideUp
I have passed my 6000 mile valve adjustment by 400 miles. I did get to the oil though. However, I won't be able to do the valve and tbs before I ride to Heber, AZ. About 300 miles to get there, 300 return, plus whatever riding I do there. Now, I have seen that some heavy touring riders don't get to their adjustments sometimes until after 1000 miles over recommended adjustment. Does anyone have wisdom to grace me with regarding my plight? Will this damage the bike? The bike is an '07 R1200RT with obviously low mileage for its age. Opinions?

Loose valves are better than too tight valves. Can you hear them (ticky-ticky)? Valve adjustments aren't that hard. Take it by the shop and have someone listen to the engine if you're really worried.

Nothing noticeably ticky.

Doesn't sound at all different from when I bought it at 750 miles. However, I don't know if I have the sensitivity to tell the difference. These tired old ears are ringing.

You could do a valve adjustment on an RT on the side of the road in 15 min... not a big deal. If you are going to the rally in Huber, someone there may help you out. You will, of course, need the right tools, and they ain't in the factory tool kit!

The hexhead seems pretty easy on the valve train. I'll wager that many of the old hands here will tell of preparing to do a scheduled adjustment only to find that the valves were right on the money. Of the things you need to worry about this should be down the list a ways.

Valves on hexheads don't lose tolerances very fast. There are some who would go a lot longer than 6K and never worry. I find on mine that I typically "touch up a couple valves every 6K but the others have not noticeably changed so they get left alone.

Don't worry about it. Do the ride and service it sometime after you get back...

Reassuring. I think I will bring the tools with me and see if I can wager a valve adjustment against a beer :beer. It's a win-win situation. I am glad to hear the valves are not so sensitive that the minute the wheel turns to 6,000, they begin to lose their spacing.

It is a machine every one is different, and my guess is you treat it with TLC, so no worries.

I run the living snot out of mine, doing track days and spending as much time in 2nd and 3rd gear twisties at running 5-8 grand on the tach. Me I check the valves once a year, whether it needs it or not. That might be 4k or 10k, probably equivalent to 15-20K miles for most.

When I was nearing the 6k mark I realized that I was going to be late by about 1300 miles. Opps:doh

I called the dealer and the mechanic said it will be fine. It turns out he was right.

Valves on hexheads don't lose tolerances very fast. There are some who would go a lot longer than 6K and never worry. I find on mine that I typically "touch up a couple valves every 6K but the others have not noticeably changed so they get left alone.

Don't worry about it. Do the ride and service it sometime after you get back...

+1 (or however many..)

Did my 36,000 mile service yesterday. Was 6000 miles since last service. None of the valves was out more then 0.001" (and I use inches because I like to check with inch-feelers, one 0.001" too thick, one 0.001 too thin, and one right on the money.)

I tweaked mine - but it was because I had it open. There wasn't anything that would worry me..

Reassuring. I think I will bring the tools with me and see if I can wager a valve adjustment against a beer :beer. It's a win-win situation. I am glad to hear the valves are not so sensitive that the minute the wheel turns to 6,000, they begin to lose their spacing.
Make sure the beer bet is paid off AFTER the valve adjustment. I learned that very early in my wrenching life..

Good news on the consensus front. I hope to see some of you at the rally. Thank you and I will enjoy the ride now instead of worrying about the odometer creeping upwards,

Good news on the consensus front. I hope to see some of you at the rally. Thank you and I will enjoy the ride now instead of worrying about the odometer creeping upwards,

There's one more possible worry... do you have an after market extended warranty? If not, enjoy the ride. If you have one, read the fine print. One of the conditions of a 3rd party warranty I had on an RT 9 years ago was that recommended service was done on schedule, plus or minus some number of miles (300?). That is the only after market warranty I've had, so can't say if such a condition is common.

+1 (or however many..)

None of the valves was out more then 0.001"
<snipperoo>
I tweaked mine - but it was because I had it open. There wasn't anything that would worry me..
Ditto -- just did mine at ~6450 miles, with no issues. One additional thought, when you do get around to them, check the vertical play in the rockers -- the spec is broad --.05-.40. Mine were toward the large end of the range, but scattered (none below ~.25). I set them all to ~.10, and was rewarded with a quieter valve train, and I believe smoother-running engine since both cylinders are now seeing about the same valve lift/duration. Set rocker end play at 6k, and you're not likely to need to set it again for 10's of k's of miles.

My advice depends on whether the valve check/adjustment is the 6,000 mile service, or one at some other mileage at a 6,000 mile interval. I couldn't tell from the original post.

If we are talking about the service at 6,000 miles on the bike then that is the second time the valves would be looked at. They should have been checked and adjusted at the first (600 mile) service. They probably needed to be adjusted then because things (seats for example) may move and settle in during running. Usually, and I say usually, the process is complete within that first 600 miles so things are fine and stable after that. But not always. On our bikes I have seen cases where an adjustment was needed at 600 miles and again at 6,000 miles on the same valve. But then stayed stable for many miles after that. So services subsequent to that 6,000 mile check are somewhat less critical mileage wise because the valves should be stable by then. But at 6,000 miles with only the 600 mile service preceding you don't really have any base line or track record to go from.

I don't think a few hundred miles makes much difference. But several thousand might, so do it when you can if this is "The 6,000 Service".

Last edited:
I'm looking for some clarification regarding this same issue. According to the service schedules, the value clearance is checked at the 600 run in and at the 6k service. The schedule says, as I read it, the valve clearances are checked every 12k intervals after the initial 6k service. Is this correct or are the valve clearances supposed to be checked every 6k.

I am headed from central New Yuck to Idaho, riding 4 days there, then to the rally, riding there, then to Alaska, riding there, and a bunch more riding before coming home. I am taking my new GS but will likely be short of 6k (1700 now) before I leave early July. Trying to decide, get it done early or try and get it done on the road, with little time to spare for it. Do I make plans to have it checked on the road if it is every 6k, if not I can wait until I get back. :dunno

I'm looking for some clarification regarding this same issue. According to the service schedules, the value clearance is checked at the 600 run in and at the 6k service. The schedule says, as I read it, the valve clearances are checked every 12k intervals after the initial 6k service. Is this correct or are the valve clearances supposed to be checked every 6k.
Incorrect. Valve clearances are checked every 6,000 miles.
I am headed from central New Yuck to Idaho, riding 4 days there, then to the rally, riding there, then to Alaska, riding there, and a bunch more riding before coming home. I am taking my new GS but will likely be short of 6k (1700 now) before I leave early July. Trying to decide, get it done early or try and get it done on the road, with little time to spare for it. Do I make plans to have it checked on the road if it is every 6k, if not I can wait until I get back. :dunno
Can't make the decision for you - but you don't want to go 2-4,000 miles over the adjustment interval. Loose valves tend to beat on the hardware - making it wear - and making them even looser. Tight valves don't - and are quiet, but if the valve gets too tight, the cooling of the valve head by the valve seat suffers and burned valves can be the result.

Thanks guys. I have always done my RT at the 6k interval. My confusions comes from the RT manual which says intially at 6k and every 12k there after. I'll check that again tomorrow. The GS manual doesn't say anything other then the run in service mileage. The maintenance schedule down loaded from A&S for the 6k service, either document 0317 or 00 00 122 also says "initally at 10,000 km, then every 20,000 km". The 12k maintenace schedule is the same as the 6k except for spark plug changes, and a few other items.

I realize that the oil wouldn't go 12k, but most of the items are pre-ride check in nature.

If every 6k is the way it is, then that it will be. I will get it done before I leave, and I'll put on fresh rubber also.

Back