• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valve cover leak

Got home from work today and the silicone gaskets were in the mailbox. Put one on the leaking side and took a short ride. No leaks. Then I celebrated by going to see ZZ Top at the Majestic in San Antonio. They can still crank it out!!
+1 on the gaskets and +++++1000 on ZZ Top!!!!!!!:dance

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

1983 R100RS rocker cover gaskets

I've recently experienced the very same gasket issue with my airhead. I accidentally tore one during a valve check, so I bought two new gaskets from the local dealer. I noticed they are different. First, they have no cement on one surface; second, they are harder than the ones I replaced. And, wouldn't you know it, they leak. I'm not going to risk stripping any of the three threaded fasteners, so I'll use silicone gaskets or try my hand at home-made cork gaskets, since I have a sheet of the material at hand.
(I'd used silicone rocker cover gaskets some years back, but don't recall them being so expensive! On the bright side, they are now available in black.)
The change in material that BMW has made is foolish. The only reason for the use of a gasket is to seal, and the new ones don't!

I too use the silicone gaskets. Also, when I had the heads updated on the RT, part of the process was a very slight surface plane of the heads which cleaned and took any warpage out. I've had zero issues with oil leakage since then.

rocker cover gasket

I've now had a chance to field test my home-made cork rocker cover gasket. It works great! Not a smidgen of oil escaped after a ride of a decent distance. I'm so pleased with it that I'm going to cut another for the right cylinder, even though it's not now leaking.
When I was fitting my cork gasket, a light bulb when off. With cork, you can feel the gasket compress as you snug up the fasteners of the cover. With the OEM gasket, there is very little "feel" involved as it doesn't compress at the level of torque one should pull on the fasteners. I'm convinced that that is one of the reasons the center cover studs are so often pulled out of the head on our bikes.

The head surface on later airheads are known to warp. You can check this by putting the valve cover on witout a gasket and looking at the area where they meet. If there is a gap, more often than not the head is warped. There are as many fixes for this as there are riders.

The gaskets can only be put on one way, and it doesn't matter which way up the cover is installed.

Back