• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

USB Audio

story

A year and a half ago when I got my new K1600 I got the Ipod adapter cable with it.
Every thing was great until summer rolls around and the Ipod overheats and shuts down.
I load up a USB stick with my music and plug it in and it works just like the Ipod.:whistle
I'm able to select artist or albums, no playlist though :violin
I know I could make them up and put them on the usb stick.
When I first plug it in it defaults to play all so I assume it will play each album all the way through in alphabetical order.
A couple days ago I head out on a 250 mile trip and plug in the usb stick and of course it goes to play all.
The first album is Adel so I haven't listened to her in awhile so I leave it on play all. It plays a couple Adel songs and then it starts to
play random songs off of different albums. Cool :dance
The trip turned into a 500 mile day and I didn't have to mess with the audio, one happy camper. :clap

sound

I'm new to the forum so not sure how it works, do you use helmet speakers and if so which speakers and helmet ?

sound

That is what Moon Motors recommended and so that is what we put on order. I assume you like it and it works well? I checked with a dealer down in Arizona and they said there were other systems that worked better, or just as good and were cheaper.

That is what Moon Motors recommended and so that is what we put on order. I assume you like it and it works well? I checked with a dealer down in Arizona and they said there were other systems that worked better, or just as good and were cheaper.

We've had a few glitches with the comm system. Loosing connection on occasion is a pain, sound quality is good, and the Shuberth is quite.

The K1600 Bluetooth is notorious for being lack-luster.

IMHO, my $.02 and purely personal opinion:

scrap the BMW specific system. I think you are better off with a non-BMW. Bluetooth to the Nav5 or directly to your phone for FAR better sound/music quality. The bike's audio via Bluetooth (for music, etc) is atrocious, you are better off listening to the speakers for audio, and that's not saying much.

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with my bike, but her communication skills are really, really bad.

My personal setup is a Sena SMH10 paired only to my iPhone and my wife's SMH10. Locally, she rides her own bike, and on x-country rides she is on my K1600. We never have to change configurations or pairings, she can listen to her iPhone, I can listen to mine. The Nav5 issues directions via the bike speakers (usually set to AUX), and is paired to my iPhone for the traffic/weather.

There are, of course, many different options, but the Bluetooth from the K1600 is uniformly BAD. Check out the threads about it on the k1600forum.com

I too avoided the dismal BMW Bluetooth system with inferior fidelity and being forced to use BMW COMM to make it work for 2 helmets and connect properly.............choose non-BMW headsets and try to connect to it and then you have a whole other set of issues.

I went a different route.........
I went with the J&M Dual Stereo Bluetooth Dongle setup..........allows full audio from the bike (USB, XM, Radio, AUX, and GPS audio) while still maintaining full Wonder-Wheel control.
You can connect any (2) Bluetooth headsets of A2DP type to the same music/audio source..........your not stuck with the inferior BMW headset fidelity.

The Bluetooth system is not cheap.......but the fidelity is great and allows full functionality of the system and has zero connect or disconnect quirks.
I have yet to drop the Blueooth connection with this setup...........its flawless & just simply works as it should.

Glad I went with this setup to avoid the hassles and issues, once installed......

The USB input will only play MP3 files from a thumb drive in my experience. It will not play tracks copied directly from CDs as my two automobiles will.

I have a 2012 and have had it for three seasons.

The USB drive will play playlists. It plays them for me.

I wish that it could randomize the playlists.

Dave

The USB input will only play MP3 files from a thumb drive in my experience. It will not play tracks copied directly from CDs as my two automobiles will.
Correct -- the manual states it's mp3, with a max sample rate of, IIRC, 256kbs. It will not recognize .cda format tracks.

Nav 5 as music source

My bike doesn't have the stereo system so my source of music is my Nav 5. I expanded its memory with a memory card and loaded my music directly into Nav 5 which is paired with my Sena 20s as cell phone. Nav 5 gives music source page and can be set on random play (I can even view selection as I am riding and navigation directions override music). Great sound and I can share music with my wife's headset. Intercom overrides music. Large enough music selection to last for a day's riding. Music is always ready to go and simply requires a voice command to play music and voice command allows me to advance to next track, replay track or stop music.

Best sound quality, easiest compatibility, least hassle, as many devices as you want - auto managed, no charging. Autocomm, there is no substitute :thumb

Advice Needed

I understand the basic concept of BlueTooth, but upfront, I admit I don't get the advantage of having to worry about battery life, etc. on long trips, especially with camping thrown in. For instance, how do you keep batteries charged when you may frequently ride over 15 hours in a day and sometimes camp where there is no electricity available? And what's so bad about simply plugging in a cord? There seems to be something here I'm just not getting, even though I am fairly open minded and not afraid of new technology.

But here's my problem: I just bought a new 1600GTL and was dismayed to find I couldn't just plug in somewhere to take advantage of the radio, music loaded into an MP3 player or directions from the GPS. All I've used so far has been the music (and directions) from my Zumo 665 using earplugs with wired-in sound. Which brings me to the other facet of the problem; hearing protection. How do you manage hearing protection and still be able to hear speakers in a helmet? I have a Nolan N104, which has room for speakers, but where does BlueTooth fit in? And what about battery life? Why do that when a cord works just fine? Is there any such thing as a compact unit that interfaces with BlueTooth that you can just plug headsets into? That would work; especially if I could power it using the accessory plug; then no battery life to worry about.

I apologize in advance, but BlueTooth seems to be the solution to a problem that doesn't exist for those people who don't mind plugging in a cord and want to wear hearing protection. However, I love the bike and eagerly embrace advances in technology, but there's something here I'm just not getting. If you can help, I will be forever grateful because I do enjoy listening to music along the way and I have found advance warning to an upcoming turn to be helpful. Without it, I often wasn't looking at the screen when a turn was coming up and wound up having to make a U-turn to get back on course.

Thanks!

Charging a BT device on the road is easier than one might think. First lots of options for power from the bike with two power outlets and one usb port. Then you can always carry one of those usb portable batteries to charge your devices when camping for example and recharge the device while riding from the bike.

As for long rides, a small usb portable battery in your jacket pocket with a usb cable run to your bt device and you can charge while you ride and for some devices like the sena smh10 you can charge while you use the device.

The technology works well, being wireless is awesome and working around recharging isn't that big of a deal nor expense IMHO.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

I understand the basic concept of BlueTooth, but upfront, I admit I don't get the advantage of having to worry about battery life, etc. on long trips, especially with camping thrown in. For instance, how do you keep batteries charged when you may frequently ride over 15 hours in a day and sometimes camp where there is no electricity available? And what's so bad about simply plugging in a cord? There seems to be something here I'm just not getting, even though I am fairly open minded and not afraid of new technology.

But here's my problem: I just bought a new 1600GTL and was dismayed to find I couldn't just plug in somewhere to take advantage of the radio, music loaded into an MP3 player or directions from the GPS. All I've used so far has been the music (and directions) from my Zumo 665 using earplugs with wired-in sound. Which brings me to the other facet of the problem; hearing protection. How do you manage hearing protection and still be able to hear speakers in a helmet? I have a Nolan N104, which has room for speakers, but where does BlueTooth fit in? And what about battery life? Why do that when a cord works just fine? Is there any such thing as a compact unit that interfaces with BlueTooth that you can just plug headsets into? That would work; especially if I could power it using the accessory plug; then no battery life to worry about.

I apologize in advance, but BlueTooth seems to be the solution to a problem that doesn't exist for those people who don't mind plugging in a cord and want to wear hearing protection. However, I love the bike and eagerly embrace advances in technology, but there's something here I'm just not getting. If you can help, I will be forever grateful because I do enjoy listening to music along the way and I have found advance warning to an upcoming turn to be helpful. Without it, I often wasn't looking at the screen when a turn was coming up and wound up having to make a U-turn to get back on course.

Thanks!
I may be misunderstanding the question but you can pair your phone and the K1600 to your helmet. At least my Schuberth SRC can. The latest SRC generation has more capabilities but I'm not up to speed on them. It took a couple of tries but right now, I have my Nav V including the audio paired with my bike and that goes to my helmet, my USB stick with thousands of songs and a number of playlists (takes a LONG time to load initially but not after that) connected to the bike and thus to my helmet. I'm getting the iPod cable from the dealer tomorrow, yes I know there are less expensive cables, and hope all of that works. We're all different of course but even with ear plugs, my SRC/helmet has enough volume to suit me. I have to say the K1600 radio sounds pretty bad in my helmet. I have to investigate this. I seem to remember my 2010 RT with audio sounded bad through my then helmet as well. I don't remember what bluetooth I was using. Don't give up!

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I know the BT battery problem must be manageable, but I didn't expect to get good sound with ear plugs & would be happy just plugging them in & solve both problems at once. I need to do a lot more research. I guess I don't see a cord as being more of a problem than batteries. Once I plug in I just sit there riding along & don't notice the wire. I need to find out more about speakers & the interfaces.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I know the BT battery problem must be manageable, but I didn't expect to get good sound with ear plugs & would be happy just plugging them in & solve both problems at once. I need to do a lot more research. I guess I don't see a cord as being more of a problem than batteries. Once I plug in I just sit there riding along & don't notice the wire. I need to find out more about speakers & the interfaces.

Thanks!

As far as LONG rides and battery life, combined with camping instead of motel'ing. This is what we always do, its cheaper, and often we stay in great places that are far better than the motel locations. Battery life is phenominal wth out Sena Bluetooth units. I can get about 15 FULL hours out of one charge, with constant use of out two sena's on intercom the whole time. That means they are not only receiving and playing audio via wireless, they are also transmitting. At home, I can get a couple of weeks, at least, of commuting on a single charge. Now, as far as charging, mid-trip, I just plug the Sena into the bike while riding. Its just like having a wired system, except I can take the wire off after a few hours.
I like the wired-in systems, but as far as convenience, the very minor lack of fidelity is worth the sacrifice for us. Plus, I have the option of linking my unit to non-sena units of friends while we all ride together.

I have a sneaking suspicion that come spring, when I set everything up, I'm gonna have some questions.

Back