• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Upcoming 2,100 mile ride on an R65

rbwait

I got back into riding this year after 30 years or so. I bought a 1979 R65 that has led a life in Chicago, San Diego, and back in Chicago with approx. 60,000 miles. The bike has been maintained by a well qualified independent mechanic in Chicago, both before and since my ownership. Back in January this mechanic performed a tune-up, adjusted the valves, changed the oil, and topped off all other fluids. I've put on close to 3,000 + miles doing weekend rides since April....I love to ride! I did recently have an issue with the pawl spring breaking in the transmission. All is resolved now and I just did a 500+ mile ride this weekend with a buddy of mine going downstate Illinois to see my son and his two kids that are in college in Champaign, Charleston, and Bloomington.

All that being said, here are my questions - I'm getting ready to do a 2,000+ mile ride, first to the Barber Vintage Festival in Birmingham, AL, on to a friends place in New Orleans, then up through Little Rock, St. Louis, and Champaign on the way back home - I'm curious about: 1) roads I shouldn't miss riding on, 2) places I must see along the way, 3) aside from the obvious, maintenance items I should consider along the way or ahead of the ride, 4) break-down resources along the way (I have requested a copy of the Anonymous Book), 5) anything else I should think about that I haven't asked, 6) etc....? Thanks for your insight!

hey man. as for attractions, take it a day at a time and see what you stumble across. That way your not loaded down with more of an itinerary than just your route. During my summer on the road, I only had an idea of directions to go in. But that's me, i hate being on a schedule more than needed while on the road. Relax, enjoy and take it a day at a time. have fun. h

Ride hwy. 7 in Arkansas, it is a twisted beauty! As to things to carry; take a manual other than your owners manual, such as a Hayne's or Clymer. It may save your bacon. Don't forget the cell phone and know how to repair a flat. Carry a small amount of hidden cash or an extra credit card. Carry at least one extra bike key. On your person...always!

hey man. as for attractions, take it a day at a time and see what you stumble across. That way your not loaded down with more of an itinerary than just your route. During my summer on the road, I only had an idea of directions to go in. But that's me, i hate being on a schedule more than needed while on the road. Relax, enjoy and take it a day at a time. have fun. h

Good post! Flexibility. Dwight D. Eisenhower said something like, "Plans are meaningless. Planning is everything." Think about the meaning behind that statement.

Take Hwy 67 from Little Rock to all the way to St. Louis if you have time.

As far as time is concerned, it takes almost the same time from Little Rock to Sikeston MO via Poplar Bluff vs. the slab since it's a more direct route. In Sikeston, you can jump on the slab if time is an issue, or just continue north to St. Louis through Poplar Bluff on 67. That last portion of the route (from Poplar Bluff to St. Louis via 67) will cost you maybe an hour vs. cutting across to I-55 at Sikeston.

Back